How do I make real gravy.

traciles1914, Sep 10, 7:16am
I've made a roast mutton for tea. I have all the meat and there is juice in the pan still.

I have vegemite, can I use this instead of marmite/promite!

cookessentials, Sep 10, 7:19am
Check the cooking class 101 thread, its all there. I shall bump it up for you.

lisanorthshore, Sep 10, 7:29am
Add some flour and stir stir stir get the lumps out and add water if its thick - youll be fine - add salt and pepper nothing better than home made gravy - oh and yes add a dollop of vegemite if you want

cookessentials, Sep 10, 7:31am
#

A good gravy 4 tbsp plain flour; 3 1/2 cups water;4 beef stock cubes;salt & pepper. Remove roast meat from roasting pan and keep warm. Place baking dish on top of stove over med heat. Bring pan drippings to the boil,reduce heat and simmer till all juices have evaporated and only fat remains.Pour off excess fat -leaving approx 6 tbsp of fat. Leave dish over med heat,add flour,stir until combined with fat. cont.

brianmac (133 )10:37 am, Thu 30 Aug #2
#

Remove baking dish from heat add water,all at once,stirring constantly (I often use a whisk)Continue stirring till flour and water are combined;add crumbled stock cubes.Return baking dish to heat,stir till sauce boils and thickens. Season with salt & pepper.Simmer uncovered for about three minutes.This will serve six. As a tip -for a light gravy, I add a little white wine and for a dark gravy a little red wine. I also use the vegetable water.

traciles1914, Sep 10, 8:02am
I have ran out of gravy mix and don't want to go out and get some, my nana used to make the best gravy but has dementia and can't remember how to make it. I'm planning on bringing some for her tomorrow so want it to taste like what she used to make.

Cooking - I'm only making enough for 3 people, that sounds like it will make heaps,could I cut things back a bit and have the same taste!

cookessentials, Sep 10, 8:12am
Yes, just cut it back to what you require. That will give you the basic idea. Over time, you can tweak it to suit your own tastes.

lx4000, Sep 10, 8:53am
Gravy
with or without meat juices. water from cooking *carrot and swede, broccoli, cauliflower, *silverbeet, cabbage, brushel sprouts, *pumpkin + mushed pumpkin. Add mashed pumpkin to your pot with veggie water (* equals a must) Add soy sauce, whist sauce, a bit of tomato sauce and vegemite 1/2 to 1 teaspoon. Bring to a gentle boil. In a container mix flour and water to a thickish paste. Add flour and water mix while stirring all the time to prevent lumps. If you get lumps, whisk them out) Cook for 15 to 20 mins to cook the flour. Add salt and pepper to taste:)

This is a winner vege gravy and meat lovers Love it and have no idea its vege! I also pre cook pumpkin in the gravy pot and mash then add the rest.

traciles1914, Sep 11, 7:16am
I've made a roast mutton for tea. I have all the meat and there is juice in the pan still.

I have vegemite, can I use this instead of marmite/promite!

traciles1914, Sep 11, 8:02am
I have ran out of gravy mix and don't want to go out and get some, my nana used to make the best gravy but has dementia and can't remember how to make it. I'm planning on bringing some for her tomorrow so want it to taste like what she used to make.

Cooking - I'm only making enough for 3 people, that sounds like it will make heaps,could I cut things back a bit and have the same taste!