Sponge recipe please ......

3084me, Dec 5, 11:08pm
Has anyone got a sponge recipe please? I had one where you whip the egg whites first then add the yolks then fold in the dry ingrediants but unfortunatly I cannot find my recipe anywhere :-( it is NOT the one that also has custard powder it just had sugar cornflour and BP (from memory) . .

bex32, Dec 5, 11:15pm
There is a recipe on the fielders cornflour box if that helps!

pam.delilah, Dec 6, 1:33am
Edmonds

Sponge Sandwich.

* 3 eggs
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup flour
* ½ teaspoon Edmonds' Baking Powder

Beat eggs and sugar well, then add flour and baking powder mixed; bake in hot oven in sandwich tins.

pam.delilah, Dec 6, 1:34am
all-in-one sponge
for this quantity you will need two 8 inch (20 cm) diameter sponge tins, 1½ inches (4 cm) deep. Lightly grease them and line each one with a circle of silicone paper (baking parchment), also lightly greased.
2. For an 8 inch (20 cm) sandwich cake, start off by sifting 6 oz (175 g) of self-raising flour and a rounded teaspoon of baking powder into a very large mixing bowl, holding the sieve quite high to give the flour a good airing as it goes down.
3. Next, break 3 large eggs into the flour and add 6 oz (175 g) of caster sugar and 6 oz (175 g) of butter – the butter has to be at room temperature, so soft that the blade of a knife will make a deep impression straight away. Finally, add half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
4. Now you just go in with an electric hand whisk and whisk everything together until you have a smooth, well-combined mixture. This will take about one minute – if you don't have an electric whisk, you can use a wooden spoon with a little more effort.
5. What you now end up with is a mixture that drops easily off the spoon when you give it a tap on the edge of the bowl. If it does seem a little too stiff, add 1-2 teaspoons of tap water and mix again.
6. Divide the sponge mixture equally between the prepared tins and level out the surface with a palette knife.
7. Place them on the centre shelf of a pre-heated oven – gas mark 3, 325°F (170°C) and bake for 30-35 minutes. Don't open the oven door until 30 minutes have elapsed. To test if they are cooked or not, touch the centre lightly with your little finger. If it leaves no impression and springs back, the sponge is cooked.
8. Remove them from the oven then wait for about 5 minutes before turning them out on to a cooling rack and carefully peeling off the base paper.
9. Leave the sponge to get completely cold before you add your filling and topping.

3084me, Dec 6, 1:58am
Thanks for that, unfortunatly I have the edmonds one here and its not the one Im lookign for :-( the obne Im looking for whips the egg whites first :-( looks like Im going to have to try and find my old recipe

pam.delilah, Dec 6, 2:17am
iS IT THIS ONE?

Never Fail Sponge
Ingredients
4 eggs
3/4 Cup White Sugar
1 Tablespoon flour in cup. Fill up rest of cup with cornflour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon boiling water
Method
Beat 4 egg whites with 1 Tblspn of boiling water until stiff. Add 3/4 cup sugar slowly. Beat until dissolved. Mix in yolks one at a time. Put flour in a cup, fill up the rest with cornflour. Sift with baking powder. Fold into mixture. Put into two sponge tins and bake at 180&degC; for 20-25 minutes.
Drop sponges on bench when taken out of oven.

3084me, Dec 6, 3:11am
YUSS! ! ! ! thank you thank you pam. delilah! ! yay! ! **runs off excitedly to make her sponges**

luckyduck, Jul 20, 5:15pm
Would pam. delilahs recipe work in patty tins. I am looking for a fail safe recipe to make.