Rice Cooker Recipes Please

nzblacksheep, Aug 17, 12:32am
Just bought one and need recipes please

nzblacksheep, Aug 17, 3:37am
Bumping this in the hope that someone can help me please and thank you :)

davidt4, Aug 17, 5:14am
Do you have the manual!That should give you the basics.The rule of thumb with rice cookers is to use one and a half parts of cold water to one part of rice i.e. 1 c rice and 1 1/2 c water.Give it a stir, turn on the cooker and wait until it switches over to "warm", "hold" or however it describes its low setting.After that stage you can leave the rice to keep warm for several hours.

nzblacksheep, Aug 18, 6:51am
tyvm for your help :)

mwood, Aug 18, 8:34am
I use 1 cup of Jasmine rice to 2 of water . Add a good dash of salt (flavour) and a splash of sesame oil (stops it sticking) - when the light turns from red to orange fluff the rice a bit and leave it be until you are ready. Perfect rice every time.

mwood, Aug 18, 8:36am
To reheat the left overs - put in a covered dish with a good splash of water and microwave for a minute or two.

sarahb5, Aug 18, 9:55pm
McCormicks and I think Maggi do recipe sachets for use with a rice cooker and the Healthy Food Guide has a recipe for peanut chicken that I cook in mine

cats5, Aug 18, 11:36pm
I have just bought one too any other ideas would be good

jynx66, Aug 19, 9:24pm
Rice cookers are great for 1-pot meals.You just have to think outside the square a bit.For instance, take an ordinary rice pilau recipe like this one but follow the second set of instructions:
INGREDIENTS
2 medium-sized onions, peeled and finely chopped
3-4 tblsp butter
3 cups Jasmine rice
4 1/2 cups chicken stock
10 cardamom pods, crushed
2 tsp whole black peppercorns
1/4 cup chopped chives
1/4 - 1/2 cup toasted cashews

METHOD
1.  Melt the butter in a large pan and add the onion. Cook the onion over a low heat until tender. Stir in the rice and cook 1-2 minutes until the grains turn white.
2.  Add the cardamom pods, black pepper and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the heat and stand for 5 minutes before lifting the lid and fluffing the rice.
3.  Set half the rice aside for to use for a dish such as Prawn Stir Fried Rice. To the remaining rice toss through the chives and cashews.

Rice Cooker Method

Turn on the rice cooker to heat a bit, add a little oil and fry the onion till softened.
Add the rice and spices (try different ones to vary the flavours)
Add the COLD stock, stir, close the lid and cook till timer says Zero.
Serve with roasted cashews tossed over as a garnish.

Variations:Add any meat (or fish) you like at the same time as the rice and spices.Either cut it into bite size pieces and stir, or leave whole, ie, chicken drums or thighs, pork chops, etc. And just sit them on top of the mixture.Brown meat first if you like.

That is just one example.The possibilities are endless once you understand how flavours work together.

jensone1, Sep 2, 9:31pm
you can buy McCormicks rice cooker sachets at Countdown, have tried a couple, quite nice, think Maggi have some as well