Marmalade - Edmonds recipe

Page 1 / 2
picxie, Aug 14, 6:31am
I'm in the process of making my first batch of marmalade, and have used the Edmonds recipe which calls for it to soak in water over night. Has anyone made this before! I'm concerned as it is an awful lot of water! It's a very, very watery mix!

tinkagirl, Aug 14, 6:47am
try this one

1.75 kg sugar
900 grms oranges
2 lemons

Preparation method
1. Wash the fruit, then halve and squeeze the juice into a preserving pan or large, heavy-based stainless steel saucepan. Wrap the pips and membranes in a muslin bag and tie shut. Cut the peel into thin shreds (or coarse ones, if preferred), then add to the saucepan with the bag of pips and 2.25 litres of water.
2. Bring the mixture to the boil, then simmer gently, uncovered, for about 2 hours until the contents of the pan are reduced by about half and the peel is very tender. Remove the muslin bag, leave to cool, then squeeze any liquid back into the pan.
3. Add the sugar to the saucepan and stir over a very low heat until completely dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 15 minutes, or until setting point is reached (105°C on a sugar thermometer).
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and skim off any scum from the surface with a draining spoon. Leave to cool for about 5 minutes, or until a thin skin starts to form on top of the marmalade. Stir gently, to distribute the peel evenly.
5. Ladle into warm, sterilised jars, then cover and seal. When cold, label, then store in a cool dark place. Use within 1 year of making. Once opened, store in the fridge and use within 1 month.

picxie, Aug 14, 6:53am
Thanks, I'll try that if this one doesn't work! I'm hoping not to waste what I've already done though . I just don't want to boil it and add the sugar tomorrowif it's not meant to be so watery! It seems like an awful lot of water to boil down tomorrow though.

duckmoon, Aug 14, 6:56am
I think I use the Edmonds recipe.

does it say strain it, and use the fruit.

duckmoon, Aug 14, 6:58am
it says (abridged)
cover with water, leave over night.

boil until fruit soft.
Measure pulp

So that means, use the fruit, but leave the "water"

and you use 1 cup of sugar for each cup of fruit pulp

cgvl, Aug 14, 7:04am
this is an old very old family recipe and it works well. you can alter the type of citrus to suit, also the amount you make.
6 large grapefruit or any other citrus to make the equivalent of the grapefruit.
9 cups water
6lb (3kg) sugar
optional box of crystallized ginger
Slice grapefruit and add to the water and leave to soak overnight or at least 8 hours.
Next day bring it all to the boil and keep at a rolling boil for approx 10 mins .
Add sugar and ginger if using and bring back to a rolling boil for 30-40mins or until some tested will set.
enjoy
oh and it keeps really well just opened the last jar of my 2006 lot and its beautiful.

picxie, Aug 14, 7:51am
It doesn't say to strain it, and I can't imagine you would - otherwise you'd loose the juice and all the flavour! If no-one pops up who has actually made the recipe successfully, then I might have to forget about it and use another recipe. I have plenty of grapefruit, but don't want to waste the sugar! Although it did take me ages to peel it all up this afternoon!

griffo4, Aug 14, 8:15am
x1
l use the old Edmonds recipe and you put in the fruit and the amount of water it states and leave to soak overnight then boil up and make marmalade l have put it in to soak at breakfast time and made it up at tea time quite successfully

4 large grapefruit
2 lemons
12 cups water
12 cups sugar
l usually use only about 11 cups of sugar as l like it more tart

Slice fruit very finely, l use the food processor and do it in batches,
cover with 12 cups water and leave overnight
Next day boil briskly until fruit is soft and pulpy about 40 minutes
Add sugar bring quickly to boil and boil 30 minutes Test

Hope this helps

l have used this recipe for years and l like it and it makes a good amount
l did 2 batches recently and that will see us through till next year

A friend said to me recently that when the fruit are not as ripe they set better as l often find when l made a late batch of marmalade when the fruit is very ripe l had trouble getting it to set unless l used an extra lemon

Do the other marmalade makers know about this or agree with that!

purplegoanna, Aug 14, 8:18am
x1
heaps evaoprates of when you boil it, dont panic i use it all the time its a good recipe, if you want to add abit of zing add a few gratings of fresh ginger.

purplegoanna, Aug 14, 8:21am
all my grapefruit i now scrub the skins and chop into slices then half the slices and remove the pips then soak & cook, i like my marmalade with rind in it, hubby likes his without so in the last half of the mix i push thru a strainer into another pot so its just jelly.

meetee, Aug 14, 10:05pm
I make a simple marmalade by peeling with a potato peeler the rind of a couple of oranges (NZ oranges make beautiful marmalade) and a lemon and finely shredding it. I put it in a bowl with the pulp minus the white pith and cover with water. The pith and seeds I put in a separate bowl and cover that with water and leave all overnight. Then I drain the pulp through a sieve and put with rind etc then measure by cupfuls into pot and bring to the boil. Simmer till soft then add the same number of cups of sugar and boil till setting point is reached. Any citrus fruit can be used but lemons help it set.

meetee, Aug 14, 10:08pm
I also save the skins from oranges after they have been eaten and add that peeled and finely shredded to the pulp which makes a really chunky marmalade. That is when I don't make candied peel from it - that is yummy!

fauna1, Aug 15, 2:22am
You can test for 'setting' before you add the sugar by adding a couple of tablespoons of fruit to a couple of spoons of metholated spirits. If juice forms a jelly instead of mixing with meths there is enough pectin to set marmalade after sugar added and boiled as usual. This cuts down overboiling after sugar added to evaporate off surplus water

fauna1, Aug 15, 2:23am
P.S. discard meth mix of course!

picxie, Aug 15, 6:31am
I'm in the process of making my first batch of marmalade, and have used the Edmonds recipe which calls for it to soak in water over night. Has anyone made this before! I'm concerned as it is an awful lot of water! It's a very, very watery mix!

picxie, Aug 15, 6:53am
Thanks, I'll try that if this one doesn't work! I'm hoping not to waste what I've already done though . I just don't want to boil it and add the sugar tomorrowif it's not meant to be so watery! It seems like an awful lot of water to boil down tomorrow though.

juliewn, Aug 15, 7:48am
Hi. definitely leave all the water in - it's part of the recipe.

The orange marmalade is our favourite marmalade. I don't add lemons at all - just use New Zealand navel oranges, and I include a couple where there's a faint green colour to the skin near where the stalk was.

As there's lots of pectin in the fruit, it'll set quite easily once rapidly boiling - and you'll get a good amount of marmalade - from memory about 16 jars, the same size or a bit bigger than a Craigs jam jar size.

My oranges are almost ready to make some. yum!

picxie, Aug 15, 7:51am
It doesn't say to strain it, and I can't imagine you would - otherwise you'd loose the juice and all the flavour! If no-one pops up who has actually made the recipe successfully, then I might have to forget about it and use another recipe. I have plenty of grapefruit, but don't want to waste the sugar! Although it did take me ages to peel it all up this afternoon!

griffo4, Aug 15, 7:52am
Thank you for that fauna1 a very handy tip
l take it that it will work with all jams!

juliewn, Aug 15, 7:52am
ps. I don't use the amount of sugar in the recipe. once ready to add sugar, I add just under half the recipe quantity - stir to dissolve, then taste.

I then add sugar a cup/half cup at a time, tasting after each lot has dissolved, until I reach the tangy-sweetness we enjoy - doing this uses quite a lot less sugar than the recipe, and the marmalade has the perfect taste to suit us. It keeps perfectly too.

wron, Aug 15, 8:01am
Some old recipes use breakfast cups - quite a bit bigger than a standard cup.I love juliewn's sugar idea, my mum's ancient family recipe called for 3lbs finely sliced grapefruit (takes ages), 2 lemons and 10LB sugar - that's a lot! Also a 3 day brew, day 1 slice and add water, day 2 boil for 20 min, day 3 boil, add sugar, simmer till setting using spoon test and bottle. Can't remember the number of B cups of water but can check if requested.

duckmoon, Aug 15, 8:22am
it doesn't say strain it, it says use "the pulp" - I get the pulp out using a small sieve - and I scoop it out - some water. But not all the water.

I don't have a problem with this recipe. I thought that you soaked the grapefruit (and discarded the water) so that you removed the bitterness.

meetee, Aug 15, 10:08pm
I also save the skins from oranges after they have been eaten and add that peeled and finely shredded to the pulp which makes a really chunky marmalade. That is when I don't make candied peel from it - that is yummy!

fauna1, Aug 16, 2:22am
You can test for 'setting' before you add the sugar by adding a couple of tablespoons of fruit to a couple of spoons of metholated spirits. If juice forms a jelly instead of mixing with meths there is enough pectin to set marmalade after sugar added and boiled as usual. This cuts down overboiling after sugar added to evaporate off surplus water

juliewn, Aug 16, 7:48am
Hi. definitely leave all the water in - it's part of the recipe.

The orange marmalade is our favourite marmalade. I don't add lemons at all - just use New Zealand navel oranges, and I include a couple where there's a faint green colour to the skin near where the stalk was.

As there's lots of pectin in the fruit, it'll set quite easily once rapidly boiling - and you'll get a good amount of marmalade - from memory about 16 jars, the same size or a bit bigger than a Craigs jam jar size.

My oranges are almost ready to make some. yum!