Marmalade - Edmonds recipe

Page 2 / 2
juliewn, Aug 16, 7:52am
ps. I don't use the amount of sugar in the recipe. once ready to add sugar, I add just under half the recipe quantity - stir to dissolve, then taste.

I then add sugar a cup/half cup at a time, tasting after each lot has dissolved, until I reach the tangy-sweetness we enjoy - doing this uses quite a lot less sugar than the recipe, and the marmalade has the perfect taste to suit us. It keeps perfectly too.

wron, Aug 16, 8:01am
Some old recipes use breakfast cups - quite a bit bigger than a standard cup.I love juliewn's sugar idea, my mum's ancient family recipe called for 3lbs finely sliced grapefruit (takes ages), 2 lemons and 10LB sugar - that's a lot! Also a 3 day brew, day 1 slice and add water, day 2 boil for 20 min, day 3 boil, add sugar, simmer till setting using spoon test and bottle. Can't remember the number of B cups of water but can check if requested.

duckmoon, Aug 16, 8:22am
it doesn't say strain it, it says use "the pulp" - I get the pulp out using a small sieve - and I scoop it out - some water. But not all the water.

I don't have a problem with this recipe. I thought that you soaked the grapefruit (and discarded the water) so that you removed the bitterness.

rozke, Aug 21, 4:07am
l make all jams and marmalade in microwave. half the time.

bev00, Aug 20, 12:25pm
for marmalade lovers