Oven Bottom Muffins

Page 2 / 4
biddy6, Aug 17, 8:28am
Oven Bottom Muffins - who would have thought a query about them would lead to this!And we still don't have a traditional recipe, or the lard to make them! LOL

We're chuffed about the connection you guys have:-)They sound lovely people.And esther, to think you thought pommyjohn and Gerry may end up related LOLGerry's enjoying catching up on the thread in the evenings.

John, Gerry also had to go for a weekly bath whether he needed it or not!He was at Werneth school 1956-59.He lived in Falcon St earlier on, then Manchester Rd (Hollinwood) near 'Help the Poor Struggler', a pub famous due to the Landlord being the last hangman in Britain.He, (Gerry not the hangman ;-) later moved to Middleton Rd, Chadderton.His next move was to emigrate to NZ as a ten pound pom.
After a lot of water under the bridge,17 years ago he finally found his farming kiwi lass and is living happily ever after ;-)

Thanks for the nice comments about our sheep.We are small-holders so can spoil our animals more than the commercial farmers.I used to breed Jersey cows on our previous property and have a website www.jerseycows.co.nz if you're interested in having a squizz.

elliehen wrote <Not at all, esther-anne.it's riveting, every bit as exciting as the headstones in Genealogy ;) > Good to have you aboard elliehen. I was into Genealogy before I got too busy, so agree wholeheartedly with you.

samanya, Aug 17, 8:58am
What a heart warming thread .estheranne I have so much enjoyed reading this. xoxo

nfh1, Aug 17, 9:00am
biddy - they are so lovely, and the yodelling cow!

I am getting homesick for a steak and kidney pudding with mushy peas reading this!

pommyjohn1, Aug 17, 8:04pm
Hi Biddy unbelievable I was at Werneth primary about the same time leaving in 59 after 11 plus he would know the headmaster pop Howarth .I am at work at the mo so I will try and get in touch through your website

Esther,Fred was a wonderful teacher ,from memory a great fan of Peter Sellers,you could mention to David that Woggie Walkden is alive and well
Cheers All

esther-anne, Aug 17, 9:22pm
Thanks samanya - it certainly has been heart warming without any negatives at all.I have just loved it!

esther-anne, Aug 17, 9:28pm
Better still pommyjohn - I will send Dave a link to here - I reckon it will really make his day to read it all - and he can read your message for himself.Yes Fred was into Sellars as I recall (but weren't we all!) - he had a fabulous sense of humour!

Yes biddy, I too was into genealogy in a big way but it seemed to become so time consuming (and expensive too) that I haven't done any for about 4 years.I did rejoin Genes Reunited thinking that all the work I had done would have been archived but I couldn't find my tree/s and though management there said I should always be able to access it they couln't find it either.My bad for being so slack as to not save everything properly.

nfh1, Aug 17, 9:31pm
I do not really remember Oldham at all, but we used to go to Bury Market quite a lot when I was a child.Used to have a bag of boiled new potatoes with salt on and walk around the market - happy days!

biddy6, Aug 17, 10:14pm
Oh god, now my man fancys a bottle of Dandelion & Burdock to go with his OBM's! LOL

Ah ha,I look forward to Gerry reading your latest post John :-)

Oh what a bummer esther - thankfully I printed off most of my finds.I have boxes of papers that need compiling - it'll give me something to do in my old age.

Glad you enjoyed seeing my gorgeous cows, nfh1 - I miss them so much but am lucky that one of them lives nearby so I get to see her often.I think the cow in the video must have had a ball of pasture stuck in her back teeth - it's the one and only time I've seen a cow do that.I hope to see those British Farmers Markets with my own eyes, one day!They sound wonderful!

esther-anne, Aug 18, 6:51am
Sasparella (sp!) too!Divine.

Biddy-I have all my ingredients now - including the lard.I went to my local Foodtown, no lard, was told rather prissily "we never stock lard - we only have dripping".So went to New World where they had a splendid display of lard!So I'm all set for this bake-off - just not sure which recipe to embrace!

Regarding genealogy-my user name here is because I wanted Esther, my late Mum's name - and couldn't have it.Then I remembered from my family tree that my great-great-grandmother was Esther-Anne - so I arrived at my name!

Pommy john - just going to send the link to David now.

Thanks all for a wonderfully friendly and, as samanya said, heartwarming thread!

nfh1, Aug 18, 8:12am
Dandelion and Burdock - lovely.Cream Soda was another favourite.

biddy6, Aug 18, 12:32pm
Hi, this is Gerry writing, because biddy is in hospital with a broken leg and dislocated ankle. She will be having a plate screwed in tomorrow, and will be laid-up for weeks. .She slipped on the steps at the back door and down she went. I'm just home from the hospital, and its late, will keep you informed on progress. Anyone know where I can get a sherbert dip.See ya

esther-anne, Aug 18, 8:35pm
Oh dear, poor biddy.Please convey my very best wishes for a speedy recovery - it sounds nasty especially with livestock to care for and the busy life you both seem to have.

Sherbert dip!The little Herbal Shop on Oldham Road, Royton - used to get it on my way home from school.Of course that WAS around 1948 lol!

Cheers Gerry - chin up the both of you!

elliehen, Aug 18, 10:08pm
Just not fair!It's much harder on an active outdoors person to be laid up.Maybe Gerry is a great cook and will ply biddy with little gourmet delicacies as she sits in the sun.

nfh1, Aug 18, 10:30pm
Gerry thanks for telling us and hope she is soon back at home and on the road to recovery.

nfh1, Aug 18, 10:40pm

biddy6, Aug 19, 8:21am
Thanks everyone from biddy, they didn;t get time to operate today, so hopefully tomorrow, she's missing this thread already. She may be online by monday. Cheers Gerry

nfh1, Aug 19, 9:58am
Poor biddy having to wait for the surgery - hope to see her back on Monday.Look after yourself Gerry.

biddy6, Aug 21, 7:53pm
Well biddy got to have the op on her broken keg last night at 8pm, everything went well, but what a drag waiting for a gap in the queue to get it done. It might be a couple of days before she gets to sit at a computer.
Esther did you get around to having a go at the muffins!
Cheers Gerry

katienz11, Aug 21, 9:23pm
What a neat thread!How cool to see the connections between people.It really is a small world.

Sorry to hear about Biddys leg - hopefully now its operated on the healing wont be too slow.

esther-anne, Aug 22, 6:57am
Hi Gerry.we were &about in the glorious weather at the weekend but I decided to do them today. Had all the ingredients sorted and then realised belatedly that I had forgotten to get any 'strong flour'.A quick google search told me that I musn't make bread or baps or muffins with self raising flour so it's got to wait until i get to the supermarket again.

Poor biddy-what an absolutely lousy time she has been having, it seems incredible that one has to wait for so long for surgery on a broken leg.Was she in pain or were they liberal with the 'good stuff' as some describe strong painkillers!Get well quickly now biddy love!

Pommyjohn-if you are still reading!Had to copy and paste the thread to David he couldn't use the link to TM that I sent him. I got a reply today he said:

"Absolutely amazing – what a small world!
Such a good conversation which brought back a whole lot of memories. Me, John and Woggie Walkden used to stand at the Chaddy road end at the Latics and sit close together in class (because we were the 3 smallest I think)" .So there must have been another John in the group as well.Anyway David thoroughly enjoyed the blast from the past!

esther-anne, Aug 22, 7:00am
Hi katienz,yes it has been a thoroughly great thread - thanks to biddy though I'm sure she didn't realise what a cool conversation it was going to turn into when she started it!She set the lovely friendly tone though I think!

pommyjohn1, Aug 22, 10:58pm
Hi Esther still here although only access at work at the moment good to hear that all is well ,is David still in the Oldham area !

Hope you are soon back on two legs Biddy, you certainly started something with this thread.I'm sure I must know your husband.If you want to communicate further I am wineluvver at gmail dot com

samanya, Aug 22, 11:18pm
*sneaks in*
.what is burdock!
*scuttles out*

nfh1, Aug 23, 2:11am
I think it is a herb - I would not recognise one though!I don't suppose there was much in the drink though!But it was lovely, or at least I remembr it being good!

pommyjohn1, Aug 23, 8:17pm
Dandelion and Burdock
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion_and_burdock
Cor I have learned something with that link.
Sarsaparilla ,we used to buy in big stone jars ,a taste of its own