Oven Bottom Muffins

Page 4 / 4
nfh1, Aug 16, 1:59am
Hi biddy6 - I am weird with fat and never use it except when we have suet crust or dumplings.My husband loves his butter, cream and cheese - hates margarine.

Is a Hollands Pudding one of those which you used to get in Fish and Chip Shops - Steak and Kidney I think they were!

Edited to add -------- has that lamb got a coat on!He/she looks so pretty!

esther-anne, Aug 16, 10:02am
Couldn't agree more - you must be wonderful farmers biddy caring for the animals like that.Gives me a warm glow and such respect for you!

Hollands Puddings-I'm drooling again!Your man is right - tipped out of individual little pots from the steamer onto your chippies - suet crust pastry, just the right thickness, and bursting with steak and kidney and luscious gravy!

I think your hubby and John might be related by the time this thread ends lol!I was just a bit away from being pure Oldham though I spent most of my teenage life there - ask your husband will you if the Hill Stores still held dances on Saturday nights when he last lived there!(Ive got to say my teeth are still a lot longer than his - and I still own them all!)

I went to Milton Street School in Royton and being such a smartarse I then went to Chadderton Grammar School!

Must say this is a great thread-sorry to anyone that it is boring to little apples!

elliehen, Aug 17, 2:47am
Not at all, esther-anne.it's riveting, every bit as exciting as the headstonesin Genealogy ;)

biddy6 has unleashed a very benign monster here.

esther-anne, Aug 17, 7:31am
Oh my goodness this is all really quite overwhelming pommyjohn.David and his sister Christine are, of course, our nephew and niece (on my husband's side) and we are in constant touch with them - especially David and wife Barbara.We speak on the 'phone about every four weeks
Last year we had a very painful bereavement in our own family and David came over from the UK to help us through in various ways.He was here for over 6 weeks - he is one hell of a nice person. He also loves New Zealand, has been here about 3 times.I absolutely have to tell him about this - and his old Lattics mate John from Counthill - when we next ring him.Hopefully next time on Skype if it's fixed up in time.He won't believe oven bottom muffins set a whole other process going!

I have been to Counthill on about 3 occasions - the students used to put on lots of shows and I think Fred had a hand in the production or something.

The world just shrank again!

biddy6, Aug 17, 8:28am
Oven Bottom Muffins - who would have thought a query about them would lead to this!And we still don't have a traditional recipe, or the lard to make them! LOL

We're chuffed about the connection you guys have:-)They sound lovely people.And esther, to think you thought pommyjohn and Gerry may end up related LOLGerry's enjoying catching up on the thread in the evenings.

John, Gerry also had to go for a weekly bath whether he needed it or not!He was at Werneth school 1956-59.He lived in Falcon St earlier on, then Manchester Rd (Hollinwood) near 'Help the Poor Struggler', a pub famous due to the Landlord being the last hangman in Britain.He, (Gerry not the hangman ;-) later moved to Middleton Rd, Chadderton.His next move was to emigrate to NZ as a ten pound pom.
After a lot of water under the bridge,17 years ago he finally found his farming kiwi lass and is living happily ever after ;-)

Thanks for the nice comments about our sheep.We are small-holders so can spoil our animals more than the commercial farmers.I used to breed Jersey cows on our previous property and have a website www.jerseycows.co.nz if you're interested in having a squizz.

elliehen wrote <Not at all, esther-anne.it's riveting, every bit as exciting as the headstones in Genealogy ;) > Good to have you aboard elliehen. I was into Genealogy before I got too busy, so agree wholeheartedly with you.

esther-anne, Aug 17, 9:28pm
Better still pommyjohn - I will send Dave a link to here - I reckon it will really make his day to read it all - and he can read your message for himself.Yes Fred was into Sellars as I recall (but weren't we all!) - he had a fabulous sense of humour!

Yes biddy, I too was into genealogy in a big way but it seemed to become so time consuming (and expensive too) that I haven't done any for about 4 years.I did rejoin Genes Reunited thinking that all the work I had done would have been archived but I couldn't find my tree/s and though management there said I should always be able to access it they couln't find it either.My bad for being so slack as to not save everything properly.

nfh1, Aug 17, 9:31pm
I do not really remember Oldham at all, but we used to go to Bury Market quite a lot when I was a child.Used to have a bag of boiled new potatoes in their jackets with salt on and walk around the market - happy days!

biddy6, Aug 17, 10:14pm
Oh god, now my man fancys a bottle of Dandelion & Burdock to go with his OBM's! LOL

Ah ha,I look forward to Gerry reading your latest post John :-)

Oh what a bummer esther - thankfully I printed off most of my finds.I have boxes of papers that need compiling - it'll give me something to do in my old age.

Glad you enjoyed seeing my gorgeous cows, nfh1 - I miss them so much but am lucky that one of them lives nearby so I get to see her often.I think the cow in the video must have had a ball of pasture stuck in her back teeth - it's the one and only time I've seen a cow do that.I hope to see those British Farmers Markets with my own eyes, one day!They sound wonderful!

esther-anne, Aug 18, 6:51am
Sasparella (sp!) too!Divine.

Biddy-I have all my ingredients now - including the lard.I went to my local Foodtown, no lard, was told rather prissily "we never stock lard - we only have dripping".So went to New World where they had a splendid display of lard!So I'm all set for this bake-off - just not sure which recipe to embrace!

Regarding genealogy-my user name here is because I wanted Esther, my late Mum's name - and couldn't have it.Then I remembered from my family tree that my great-great-grandmother was Esther-Anne - so I arrived at my name!

Pommy john - just going to send the link to David now.

Thanks all for a wonderfully friendly and, as samanya said, heartwarming thread!

biddy6, Aug 18, 12:32pm
Hi, this is Gerry writing, because biddy is in hospital with a broken leg and dislocated ankle. She will be having a plate screwed in tomorrow, and will be laid-up for weeks. .She slipped on the steps at the back door and down she went. I'm just home from the hospital, and its late, will keep you informed on progress. Anyone know where I can get a sherbert dip.See ya

elliehen, Aug 18, 10:08pm
Just not fair!It's much harder on an active outdoors person to be laid up.Maybe Gerry is a great cook and will ply biddy with little gourmet delicacies as she sits in the sun.

biddy6, Aug 19, 8:21am
Thanks everyone from biddy, they didn;t get time to operate today, so hopefully tomorrow, she's missing this thread already. She may be online by monday. Cheers Gerry

esther-anne, Aug 22, 6:57am
Hi Gerry.we were &about in the glorious weather at the weekend but I decided to do them today. Had all the ingredients sorted and then realised belatedly that I had forgotten to get any 'strong flour'.A quick google search told me that I musn't make bread or baps or muffins with self raising flour so it's got to wait until i get to the supermarket again.

Poor biddy-what an absolutely lousy time she has been having, it seems incredible that one has to wait for so long for surgery on a broken leg.Was she in pain or were they liberal with the 'good stuff' as some describe strong painkillers!Get well quickly now biddy love!

Pommyjohn-if you are still reading!Had to copy and paste the thread to David he couldn't use the link to TM that I sent him. I got a reply today he said:

"Absolutely amazing – what a small world!
Such a good conversation which brought back a whole lot of memories. Me, John and Woggie Walkden used to stand at the Chaddy road end at the Latics and sit close together in class (because we were the 3 smallest I think)" .So there must have been another John in the group as well.Anyway David thoroughly enjoyed the blast from the past!

esther-anne, Aug 22, 7:00am
Hi katienz,yes it has been a thoroughly great thread - thanks to biddy though I'm sure she didn't realise what a cool conversation it was going to turn into when she started it!She set the lovely friendly tone though I think!

pommyjohn1, Aug 22, 10:58pm
Hi Esther still here although only access at work at the moment good to hear that all is well ,is David still in the Oldham area !

Hope you are soon back on two legs Biddy, you certainly started something with this thread.I'm sure I must know your husband.If you want to communicate further I am wineluvver at gmail dot com

nfh1, Aug 23, 2:11am
I think it is a herb - I would not recognise one though!I don't suppose there was much in the drink though!But it was lovely, or at least I remembr it being good!

esther-anne, Aug 24, 7:08am
We used to regard Dandelion and Burdock as the poor man's sarsaparilla-it being inferior in our not so humble opinions LOL!And like pommyjohn says - the latter came in gorgeous brown stone jars and we used to have it delivered once a week to our place. The next week Mum would hand the empty bottle over and get a new one.We also had ice cream delivered - Mum used to take a large white jug out to the ice cream van and we could only get enough for one day - we had no fridge!

knitaddict - that's interesting - I don't recall if my Mum did that or not!I have the right flour now so will be making them shortly.

biddy6, Aug 25, 2:47am
Greetings all!
Thanks for your get well wishes - much appreciated!
I am so damned mad at myself!I am now on good medication for the Rheumatoid and only last week, after a couple of minor slides on the snow, kept telling myself to slow down or I'll come a croppa.I'm so not used to being able to do things at a normal pace and lately my legs have been working faster than the brain ;-)Well, last Thursday I was on my way to check the sheep and was walkiing along the verhanda looking up at the paddock for frollicking lambs when I slipped on the wet from rain, top step, and canned down the rest :-(Initially I thought it just a sprain andmanaged a couple of trips up stairs for shower and leg shave before the Dr's appointment in the late afternoon.It's actually a nasty break and I'm to keep the leg elevated for the next week, and not to put any weight on it for the next 5 weeks!The stitches come out next Thurs. and all going well I'll be able to have leg down and get around more easily.

It brings a smile to my dial reading of the pleasure your David has got out of the thread too, Esther :-)

There'll be few delicious delicacies coming from my dear man, Elliehen as his motto is 'can't cook - won't cook' ! lol.But, tonight with verbal help from me,he is going to attempt one of our easy to cook favourites, sweet & sour satay beef with rice.We've had lovely friends dropping tasty eats in too so we won't starve ;-)

We too now have all the ingredients to make OBM, so between us will give them a go at the weekend.One of our ex-Londoner friends who visited yesterday remembers similar muffins, thinks she has a recipe, and is going to try a batch cooked in her coal range.

Will email you soon John, but right now I need to go stretch out.

elliehen, Aug 25, 6:43am
Exquisite!

Look after that leg, biddy.Keep your leg up and bark out orders to your kitchen hand.Pretend you're Gordon Ramsay ;)

samanya, Aug 25, 11:59am
That photo is a prize winner!
She should enter that in the Ellerslie Photo competition ot the like.
I'm a lurker in this thread .but best wishes for a hassle free recovery.

biddy6, Aug 28, 2:09am
Hi All!
Just popping in to say I'm still in the land of the living and hanging out to try oven bottom muffins!

Pleased you got some enjoyment from daughters photo - she's just getting into photography and living on a high country station has no end of good subjects to work with.Will look into the Ellerslie photo competitionsamanya - thanks for tip.

Hubby is doing a wonderful job of looking after me and running the home.And, he cooked a beautiful roast beef dinner last night!

He's just moved the ewes and lambs to a paddock nearer the house so I can see them out the window - oh the babes are so cute and have grown so much in 10 days!He tells me another old girl is looking like lambing soon.She's got a huge belly so I hope she doesn't produce triplets as we don't need a lamb to bottle feed if she doesn't have enough milk for three!

Not likely to get OBMuffins made here this weekend as hubbys hasn't had any relaxing time to himself yet, but maybe we'll get some made during the week.