Rice Cooker Inquiry - Rice sticking.

wingee, Aug 9, 12:54am
Does any one else have this problem.I cook the rice as per insturctions in the cooker and then it turns to "warm" every time the bottom of the rice has stuck slightly and turned a light brown, almost like its got too hot! the rice cooker is new.

davidt4, Aug 9, 12:56am
How much water per cup of raw rice!It should be around one anda half times water to rice by volume.My Breville rice cooker gave an incorrect quantity (equal volumes) in its manual and that made me burn the rice the first time I used it.

wingee, Aug 9, 1:00am
Thanks.my booklet says 1 cup rice (came with cooker) to 1 1/4 cups water.maybe I should use 1 1/2!

kydell, Aug 9, 1:47am
I rinse 1 cup rice until the water runs clear & add 11/2 cups of water plus a splash more( not quite 2). I have a sunbeam & have never had a flop batch

davidt4, Aug 9, 1:48am
Yes, try one and a half times by volume.Also, don't open the lid until the rice is ready as the liquid will evaporate too quickly.

wingee, Aug 9, 1:52am
Thanks for that info, will up the water and see how I go.

obsidianwings, Aug 9, 1:53am
I get some stuck on browned rice at the bottom as well, although from what I remember the manual to my rice cooker says that is normal. I just carefully get the rice out to make sure I don't get any of the yuck stuff. Does feel like a waste though.

tipsy_bl0nde, Aug 9, 6:47am
i rinse the rice till water runs clear. Then for every cup of rice i do 2 cups water. Have always done this in rice cooker and in the pot (half the time steamed) I use jasmine rice and everytime comes out perfect and not gloggy or too dry.

melford, Aug 9, 7:09am
In my Breville Rice Cooker Manual, it states that "browning will occur and that it is normal". I was disappointed with the way it does that too.

gardie, Aug 9, 7:22am
Mine 'browns' too - even more so if I cook sweetcorn or peas in the steamer basket in the top.I was quite dissapointed in that as it means that I do throw away some rice however I do like the fact that I stick it in and then forget about it.

deus701, Aug 9, 7:25am
Mine browns after 12hours on keepin warm, but just slightly. Also depends how new your non-stick coating is. As mine is a snap shut cooker, i tend to put less water.compared to ones with a lid which loses quite abit of water

dawnay, Aug 9, 9:14am
I saw Annabelle White use a rice cooker on Breadfast a few weeks back and she oil sprayed the bowl before putting anything in.So I tried it and found the rice didn't stick much at all.So now I try to remember to do this each time I use the rice cooker.Such an easy thing to do but great results.

wingee, Aug 10, 2:57am
thanks for that, I thought of doing that, will spray next time.My rice cooker is only new, so cant blame in on being old!

bopeep80, Aug 10, 4:50am
My ricestuck to the rice cooker every time and when the coating started lifting of it, I stopped using it. I now use a microwave rice cooker, which cost $16.90 from magnamail and its the best gadget I own. I dont even measure water now. For myself, to get one cup of cooked rice, I spoon in 5 soup spoons of basmati, then I pour in enough boiling water to come up about 2 cms over the rice, and microwave for 10 mins. It comes out lovely and fluffy and it drains while still in the container. I bought my daughter in law one too, and its her favourite gadget.
I also microwave pasta in it, as well as potatoes, when Im doing wedges.

Here it is
http://www.magnamail.co.nz/Product_Detail.aspx!par=0&Cat=30&Prod=4130

wingee, Aug 10, 7:09pm
Thanks for that.I used t have a whirpool microwave and it had a similar container where you steamed your rice, perfect each time! now have a panasonic one with no turntable and it has a rice cooking function, but will look into that containter, instead of using the rice cooker each time now!

aktow, Aug 11, 3:45pm
i use a old 2ltr icecream container, 1 cup rise to 1.5 cup water, tumeric and salt in water and cook with lid on containerfor 12-14 minutes. no mess
my microwave is 800 watts

buzzy110, Sep 4, 6:24am
So you aren't in the least bit concerned about plastic toxins leaching into your food then!

hazedaze, Sep 4, 6:24am
Totally agree! We really don't need microwave 'cookpots'. Just pouring money into someone's coffers.

I use any microwave proof bowl (glass or whatever).1 Cup Rice to 2 cups water and 12 to14 mins (1 or 2 mins more if required)/.Take bowl out and cover with doubled up teatowel and stand to abosorb steam.Then do the extra minute or so after standing if not soft enough. Awesome every time.
You really don't need rice cookers or whatever!Happy rice cooking :D

kcc55a, Sep 4, 9:46am
We use our Zip rice cooker at least 3 times a week and dont have any problem with sticking or turning brown.1cup water to 1 cup rice. Rinse rice before startingcooker . Rice cookers dont need much water. possibly the thermostat on the ones causing sticking is set too high. Manufacturers fault!

mwood, Sep 4, 10:08am
1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water - dash of salt - splash of oil

sarahb5, Sep 4, 8:46pm
My rice sticks if I rinse it - if I just chuck it in, add water and turn it on it is fine.I use equal measures of rice to water and that's it.