Diabetic salad dressing

Page 1 / 2
catlover7, May 20, 1:58am
I have been sitting in on lots of annual diabetic checks lately and they all say to patients that sugar and fat together is a def no no

elliehen, May 20, 3:58am
Fat slows the digestion and delays the absorption of glucose into the blood.

sarahb5, May 20, 4:04am
My mum is diabetic and she was told low sugar AND low fat.If she wants dressing on her salad she buys either Weight Watchers or the ETA lite & free dressings as they are mostly within "reasonable" levels for her but it pays to read labels because low fat doesn't always mean low sugar of course, in fact it frequently means the exact opposite.

southerngurl, May 21, 12:47am
toadfish, al 3 of your recipes have sugars that would put a diabetics sugar levels up (sugar, brown sugar, honey.)
there is a range out that is really low sugar (either less than 1 gram or 1-2 grams per 100) I can't remember what it is and its not in my pantry atm. I'll have to go supermarket shopping but its really delish. the ETA lite dressing that Sarah mentioned is yum

sarahb5, May 21, 1:57am
Jok n'Al!I buy their low calorie marmalade and occasionally their dressings because they are lower sugar but, as with everything, it pays to check the labels if you don't like artificial sweetener

lythande1, May 21, 5:37am
Because it's the latest food police fashion. The idea that fat is to blame for all ailments. fat has not effect on sugar levels at all. In fact a lot of what they'll tell you to eat - carbohydrates, do.

sarahb5, May 21, 6:07am
This is advice mum was given when first diagnosed about 6 or 7 years ago now so not exactly "food police fashion" and the advice was given to her by her diabetic nurse in the UK.It's entirely possible of course that she was told to go for low sugar and low fat because she is diabetic and was overweight .

elliehen, May 21, 7:18am
I don't plan to reignite an unnecessary debate, but it's more complicated than this.Here's just one of many reasons to avoid excess fat:

If a person with low blood sugar needs to bring levels up quickly to prevent a hypoglycaemic reaction, a snack with fat content will not act quickly enough to prevent them from passing out because the fat slows the absorption of the simple carbohydrate.

smf6661, Aug 5, 10:56am
Has any one got a good recipe that doesnt have sugar or any fat content in it as im looking forward to having salad's again but I have to have dressing.Does any one have any good meal idea's as well as I hate watching my husband having really nice meal's & mine are yuk.

bedazzledjewels, Aug 5, 7:47pm
Why no fat content!

babytears, Aug 5, 7:50pm
Have you tried 'Jok' diabetic dressings and sauces, I'm pretty sure you can get them from New World!

lythande1, Aug 5, 8:04pm
Fat has no effect on sugar levels.

toadfish, Aug 5, 8:13pm
At a guess. SMF661 doesn't want fat either, her choice.

Have you tried some of the flavoured vinegars, I had a Raspberry Vinegar from delmaines that was nice sprinkled over a salad, as is a nice Balsamic vinegar.

bedazzledjewels, Aug 5, 8:31pm
It seemed she might think that fat has an influence on blood sugars, which it doesn't. If her request for low fat is because of something else unrelated to diabetes then that's fine but it might help if she said so!

toadfish, Aug 5, 10:55pm
I read her request differently.I thought she just simply wanted a recipe for fat & sugar free dressing. I personally didn't see it as a request for a health debate about her reasons.

bedazzledjewels, Aug 5, 11:08pm
Lol Toady! If she's after a fat/sugar free one, it's probably best if she buys one. And that's a good idea about the vinegars. Maybe she's looking for something creamier though! Come back OP!

davidt4, Aug 5, 11:13pm
Quark is almost fat-free and makes a lovely creamy salad dressing when thinned with lemon juice or wine vinegar.Add salt, pepper and fresh herbs.

I don't understand why a diabetic is looking for fat-free food though.

cgvl, Aug 5, 11:34pm
lemon juice is nice, but a bit boring at times.

David a lot of the info given to new diabetics tells them to cut the sugar and fats from diet ie eat low fat sugar free and high carb.

smf6661, Aug 6, 12:07am
Im not allowed fat because of another drug that Im on that is why I asked for no fat content as well.thank's to those that gave me some receipes to try out.

knowsley, Aug 6, 12:22am
It's getting a bit sad that someone has to explain the reasons they don't want a low/no fat recipe or product.

buzzy110, Aug 6, 12:58am
No it isn't. We are all interested and now we know a bit more than we did a few minutes ago. Is life not supposed to be a journey of knowledge gathering! Who would have thought that insulin medication couldn't be taken with fat!

I wonder what medication it is. Considering the brain is made up mostly of fat I wonder, also, how the medication will affect fatty body parts, like the brain, if it can't be combined with dietary fat.

toadfish, Aug 6, 2:01am
Low-Calorie Creamy Balsamic Salad Dressing

Ingredients
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoon honey
3 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt (may substitute regular nonfat yogurt but finished product will be a little different)
1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil.
Directions
Mix well. Store in refrigerator.

toadfish, Aug 6, 2:02am
I have done the same with natural unsweetened yoghurt, added wholegrain mustard and white vineger to desired consitency.

toadfish, Aug 6, 5:48am
Citrus Vinaigrette Dressing
Great on spinach salad or fresh baby salad greens.

Servings: 8
Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon
• Juice of one large navel orange
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon brown sugar (maybe replace with splenda)
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
• Dash of salt
• Fresh ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

Place all ingredients in salad cruet and shake very well. Store in refrigerator. Keeps for several days.

toadfish, Aug 6, 5:49am
Creamy Raspberry Dressing
This dressing really perks up the looks and taste of any green salad.

Servings: Makes 1 1/2 cups dressing

• 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
• 1/2 cup raspberries
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or raspberry vinegar
• 2 teaspoons granulated sugar (sugar substitute may be used)

In a blender, combine the yogurt, raspberries, vinegar and sugar. Blend until smooth and refrigerate until chilled.