I have about 100 passionfruit what to do with them

Page 1 / 2
1jack, Jul 29, 9:39am
god only knows what happened this year but none of my passionfruit rippened in summer and they have just started turning purple nowi just stripped the whole vine and it appears there were way more than i thought!
anyhow so because some are slightly under ripe can i just scoop out all the flesh and add some sugar to sweeten, otherwise they are very tart, i would like to either freeze the pulp or do something with it so need some ideas please!

fifie, Jul 29, 9:52am
<---------- Go to search recipes, passion fruit, last year, and quite a few threads come up with ideas for you.

cookessentials, Jul 29, 9:53am
Yes, I would freeze some in lidded containers. Beautiful stirred into greek yoghurt. Or lemon annd passionfruit delicious pudding

deus701, Jul 29, 10:07am
make lots of passionfruit curd...u can use them for many things

juliewn, Jul 29, 2:23pm
Wash the skins.. leave to dry in a colander or similar, then place them into a bag, seal and into the freezer - they'll keep better when frozen that way.. and all you need to do is thaw out whatever number you want to use.. and continue using them as if they were fresh..

pam.delilah, Jul 29, 8:05pm
if you think you may only use a small amount at a time , freeze in ice cube trays. When freeze pop into bags and back into the freeze.

pam.delilah, Jul 29, 8:07pm
how about Passionfruit Jam

Ingredients

MAKES 3 MEDIUM JARS

pulp of 6 passionfruit
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 eggs
1 teaspoon butter
1 cupwhite sugar

Method

Whisk all the ingredients together.
Place in a small double boiler and cook over a steady heat, stirring regularly until it thickens (approx. 35 minutes).
Pour into clean sterilised jars, cover and store in the fridge.

pam.delilah, Jul 29, 8:15pm
that is a great way , thanks julievn, Pam

laser51, Jul 29, 8:15pm
Freeze the pulp and use later. By the way just thought I would mention that for the fruit to be properly ripe you should wait till they fall off the vine rather than pick them. lucky you my passion fruit didn t do at all well this year

lil_angel_kel, Jul 29, 9:30pm
YUM make passionfruit cheese cake! :P

muppet65, Jul 30, 6:35am
give them to me ....hehehehehe

2603962, Jul 30, 8:06am
eat them - yummy

marree, Jul 30, 8:16am
pam.delilah - I want to make some jam & recipe sounds so easy (no passionfruit tho).What other fruit would work that's in season. Thanks.

korbo, Jul 30, 8:22am
put about 20 up in an auction..i did that a few years back and sold them in minutes.

pam.delilah, Jul 30, 8:43am
hope this help, have tried some of these are some are past posting

Mock raspsberry jam using kiwifriut
1 small bottle of Raspberry Quench ( or thriftee,)
6 pounds sugar,
5 pounds Kiwi Fruit.
Boil all together until it set (test regularly)

Persimmon jam
3 persimmons
1 cups white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbs lemon juice
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
Peel and chop the fruit.
Combine the fruit with the sugar and vanilla in a saucepan and stir constantly over a high heat until thickened. This will take approximately 30 minutes.
Add the lemon juice and zest then spoon into sterilised jars.

Rhubarb Jam:
1kg red rhubarb, wiped clean and cut into 2cm lengths
1kg caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
3 tablespoons lemon juice, strained
In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, sugar and vanilla bean. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Transfer the rhubarb mixture to a jam pot or large, heavy-based saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves then increase the heat to full. Allow the jam to boil rapidly, stirring frequently.
When smaller bubbles begin to appear, add the lemon juice. Use a sugar thermometer (it should reach 105c) or simply a dollop of jam on a cool plate to test for setting point. A slight skin will form on set jam when left on a cold plate for a couple of minutes. Pour the jam through a jam funnel into hot, sterilised jars and place lids on while still hot. Makes around 3 x 250ml jars.

Tamarillo Jam

Ingredients

MAKES 2 CUPS

6 plump tamarillos
2 cups water
4 cups white sugar

Method

Cut fruit in half. Place in a large saucepan with the water. Bring to the boil. Remove tamarillo skins and return fruit to water. Simmer for 5 minutes. Mash fruit, add the sugar and boil again for 10 minutes. Stir frequently and test for setting, then cool slightly. Pour into sterilised jars and seal.

marree, Jul 30, 8:51am
Thanks so much pam.delilah - do you think I could try the easy 'passionfruit' recipe using kiwifruit (if I stuff up then then I won't be too worried as not too much ingredients).if so, would quantity be 6 kiwifruit?

deus701, Jul 30, 10:07am
make lots of passionfruit curd.u can use them for many things

juliewn, Jul 30, 2:23pm
Wash the skins. leave to dry in a colander or similar, then place them into a bag, seal and into the freezer - they'll keep better when frozen that way. and all you need to do is thaw out whatever number you want to use. and continue using them as if they were fresh.

pam.delilah, Jul 30, 8:05pm
here are two recipes for
Passionfruit curd:

4 eggs,
2 egg yolks,
3/4 c caster sugar,
3/4c passionfruit pulp,
125gm cold butter cubed.

Place eggs, yolks and sugar in microwave jug or bowl.

Whisk till well combined.

Add passionfruit pulp and butter and stir.

Microwave uncovered on MED for 6-10 mins whisking every minute or until thick enough to coast a spoon.

Pour into sterilised jars and seal. Refrigerate to cool. 6-8
Passionfruit make about 3/4 cup.

For the Passion Fruit Curd:
2 eggs
125ml/4fl oz passion fruit pulp
80g/3oz caster sugar
60g/2oz unsalted butter, softened

To make the passion fruit curd, place the eggs, passion fruit and sugar in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon for 8 minutes, until thick, then remove from the heat and whisk in the butter. Leave to cool

lythande1, Jul 30, 8:43pm
Or sell them at the gate. I'll buy them.

pam.delilah, Jul 30, 9:37pm
it should work,try it and let us know if it work,

cookessentials, Jul 30, 11:04pm
Passionfruit Cordial

750g sugar
1 litre water
pulp of 15 passionfruit
3 teaspoons tartaric acid
3 teaspoons citric acid
Place sugar and water together in a large saucepan over a medium heat, stirring until dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes. Allow to cool.

Add remaining ingredients to sugar syrup, stirring to combine. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.

Strain cordial, then pour into glass bottles and keep refrigerated.

pickles7, Jul 30, 11:23pm
Did they have any pulp? . My passionfruit had heaps of nice fruit then fruited two more very late fruit. But there was nothing inside those, at all. I get very precious with my pulp, I usually have lots over at the next fruiting. I am trying to eke it out to last this season, decided not to hold back.

marree, Jul 31, 8:16am
pam.delilah - I want to make some jam & recipe sounds so easy (no passionfruit tho).What other fruit would work that's in season. Thanks.

korbo, Jul 31, 8:22am
put about 20 up in an auction.i did that a few years back and sold them in minutes.