Frying advice please

chrisbarton, Jul 31, 8:41am
Hi whenever I shallow fry something, say fritters, they always catch on the bottom. Why is that? I try and avoid anything that needs to be fried now. I find if I can get away with oil spray it won't catch but anything that needs to be bubblying in oil will stick to the pan. Can anyone tell me how to fix this please?

dezzie, Jul 31, 9:17am
Do you heat the oil before you put the fritters in? if so, maybe you need another pan, if its always the same one that sticks.

auburn4, Jul 31, 9:23am
Cast iron pan, I find if I use that over any other type of frying pan things don't stick. Only needs the barest spray of oil but heat the pan well first.

books4nz, Jul 31, 10:22am
Try putting baking paper into the pan, so it comes up the sides a bit, heat oil in that to fry your fritters. Easy clean-up too!

chrisbarton, Jul 31, 10:10pm
Really? You can heat oil over baking paper? I didn't know that

sharleece101, Jul 31, 11:40pm
non stick frying pan always works for me

rattiefan, Jul 31, 11:43pm
deep fryer solves all the issues lmao

sharleece101, Jul 31, 11:46pm
yay for deep fryer! lol

rattiefan, Jul 31, 11:50pm
love my deep fryer

sharleece101, Aug 1, 12:15am
mee tooo

lordross, Aug 1, 12:28am
modern frying pan that has ceramic coating then you would not require to use oil or only if you want to.

chrisbarton, Aug 1, 3:57am
So do those small appliance type deep fryers work well then? I was under impression that they didn't heat oil high enough or maintain the temp well?

fee1965, Aug 1, 4:49am
try heating the oil up to hot, add fritters then turn down to medium to retain a good heat.No need to cook completely on high heat

buzzy110, Aug 1, 5:02am
I have found that if the heat is too hot then things will stick. I just use ordinary copper bottom s/s frying pans or my s/s Dinerite skillets. I I don't have any non-stick cookware due to the possible risk of toxic gases and 'bits' contaminating my food.

rainrain1, Aug 1, 5:03am
Clean non stick pan, clean oil and you should have no problems

rattiefan, Aug 1, 5:10am
my wee deep fryer kicks butt

it has no problems with heating the oil..