Food Safari - Portugeuse cuisine?

footplate1, Jul 31, 12:11am
Did anyone see this on Saturday and remembers what liquid was used for the clay BBQ? It isn't showing in On Demand.

kabbo, Jul 31, 2:16am
i did watch it, but i cant remember the clay bbq and what they used.
great food though ay. looked yummy.

iriegirl, Jul 31, 4:01am
Hi footplate1, try this link http://www.sbs.com.au/food/foodsafaricuisine/index/cp/19/n/Portuguese
hope that helps :)

footplate1, Jul 31, 7:37am
thanks - but I had a wander around in there, this afternoon.

We had the real thing years back but have been wondering about the spirit ever since.Nothing we have tried in the two clay devices seems to be quite right.

ultravioleteyes, Jul 31, 7:48am
I am Portuguese. Sorry I missed the show, but please explain what did they cook, I might be able to help.

footplate1, Jul 31, 9:39pm
When we were in Obidos several years ago, we had sausages cooked on clay dishes with a small flame under the clay cross bars.we even bought two of the dishes.(Others have, too).But we can't work out what inflammable spirit was used in the dishes to slowly and beautifully cook the food.Everything we have tried either doesn't burn or burns to much.
My wife saw the same thing on TV One on Saturday morning but we were too late to hear the details.Since searched on Food Safari's site etc , with no success.

marcs, Aug 1, 1:46am
go to youtube and put in food safari portuguese. You can watch the whole episode there.

footplate1, Aug 1, 3:17am
About to have another go.Unless I was on the wrong site the programme didn't display, yesterday.Nor did a search produce the recipe.

thanks

footplate1, Aug 1, 3:34am
Brilliant!You have just solved a 15-year mystery!We have tried other liquids without any success!Yay!We can bring our clay dishes out of hiding!

thank you

marcs, Aug 1, 5:38am
Welcome. Glad it helped.

ultravioleteyes, Aug 7, 1:56pm
You so lucky to have one of those clay dishes. That is on my wish list when mum comes for Xmas this year. So where did you guys get the fire water in the end! My uncle still makes the stuff in Portugal.very strong. However because it is so scares lots of people use Myth spirits which burns just as well. Hope that helps.

princess4, Aug 8, 8:14am
Hi Dont use meths as the bitrex in it taints the foods flavour.Find someone with a home alcohole still and get some 80% proof alcohole from them.Cheers