HELP! Its steak tonight..

Page 2 / 2
winnie231, Jul 29, 9:00am
You might want to add palm up or palm down to that ... a novice cook won't know what you mean.

kinna54, Jul 29, 10:08am
Yes thanks winnie, good point! Unsure how to post a pic to show, but it would be palm down with the hand curved and the thumb and forefinger meeting, you press the soft part of the hand in the curve where the fingers meet, for rare, as you open and extend the hand you press the same area again for testing medium,the hand still keeping its curve so the knuckles are raised, (almost like resting your hand on a computer mouse shape is the best way to describe it) then for testing well done you close the hand tight and like a closed fist. You press those areas of the hand to get the feel and texture of how a steak should be. Lol have probably just managed to confuse the nation totally. By now I hope the steak has been cooked to perfection and long eaten.

janny3, Jul 29, 1:02pm
Have done Gordon Ramsey's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtIiR7DBAqY but enjoying all the marinade & cooking ideas.Thanks all.

otterhound, Jul 29, 11:05pm
I got my cast iron frypan from an army surplus shop - very cheap.No "tricks" to cooking with them, and it's the only thing I'll cook steak on.

rainrain1, Jul 30, 1:26am
A good piece of porterhouse or ribeye or rump, should not need marinated.

beaker59, Jul 30, 2:52am
Cast Iron doesn't need any special skill its a fry pan.

westigal, Jul 30, 4:08am
Marinade
1 slog wort sauce( about a tbsp)
2 slogs balasamic vinegar
1 slog cooking oil
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp brown sugar
1 clove crushed garlic
1/4c white wine or water
mix all together, coat steak and leave at least 15 mins.

I always get the thick cut rump steak {1" thick"from the Aussie butcher, supermarket steak is too thin and drys out before its cooked. And my theory is if I am going to spend hard earned money on a steak its gotta be enjoyable, and you don't need such a big piece because of the thickness.

Cast iron pan nice and hot, sear steaks for 1 minute on each side, then put pan into middle of apreheated oven 180 degrees for about10 minutes.
Remove from oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes.
An old butcher friend showed me this way of cooking it after I served him "leather' one night, steak has been perfect ever since. Most modern non stick pans are too thin to cook a steak properly according to him LOL

And his other tip was to make sure your steak is a room temperature, not straight from the fridge

kinna54, Jul 30, 5:59am
Cast iron pan nice and hot,so if you flick a drop of water it sizzles, no oil necessary, cook2mins, turn and then cook to required doneness. As in the *fist mantra" and as westigal says definitely "rest" the steak for 10mins before serving. Restaurant quality method, and oh so yummy! Enjoy!
edited to say only ever turn the steak once, and don't poke at it or handle it more than necessary.

kinna54, Jul 30, 6:03am
PPs: you don't have to pay the high prices for a cast iron pan either: got mine from a sallies op shop, it is the old black type and heavy enough to knock out a sailor! man it's brilliant.! And I won't part with it!

winnie231, Jul 30, 9:00am
You might want to add palm up or palm down to that . a novice cook won't know what you mean.

janny3, Jul 30, 1:02pm
Have done Gordon Ramsey's http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=MtIiR7DBAqY but enjoying all the marinade & cooking ideas.Thanks all.

otterhound, Jul 30, 11:05pm
I got my cast iron frypan from an army surplus shop - very cheap.No "tricks" to cooking with them, and it's the only thing I'll cook steak on.