Braised steak

tracey57, Jun 26, 4:20am
Have just put this into the oven, looking forward to it so bumping for all the other winter cooks.

mebsy01, Dec 14, 3:50am
does anyone have recipe for braised steak! tia

littleblackhen, Dec 14, 3:57am
Casseroled with quartered onions and a pkt of Maggi thick vegetable soup with the 600mls of water (old glass milk bottle).Cook slow for about 3hrs or so,temp.150

mebsy01, Dec 14, 3:58am
thankyou, i was hoping it would be quick and easy. havent got 3hrs. i have sirloin steak.does that change the time!

245sam, Dec 14, 4:10am
mebsy01, I have never braised sirloin steak but IMO that cut of meat would not need 3 hours braising time - have a look at:-

http://www.beeflambnz.co.nz/index.pl!page=braising&m=363

bjkiwi, Dec 14, 5:21am
Really good!

SAVOURY BAKED STEAK
2 bacon rashers
750g topside steak
½ tsp dry mustard
3 tsp sugar
3 tbsp flour
2 tbsp vinegar
1½ tbsp tomato sauce
1½ cups water

Trim the rind off the bacon and fry the bacon for a few minutes to draw off the fat. Drain and cut the bacon into 3cm length pieces. Cut the steak into even-sized pieces and put the steak and bacon into an ovenproof dish.
Mix the remaining ingredients together until smooth, then pour the mixture over the meats. Cover the dish.
Bake at 160°C for 2-2½ hours or until the steak is tender. :-))

245sam, Dec 14, 5:37am
Very pleased that you enjoy the Savoury Baked Steak bjkiwi - did you get the recipe from this TM MB or some other source!It's the same as a recipe of the same name that I posted on here ages ago and one that we also really enjoy.:-))

bjkiwi, Dec 14, 10:03am
oh, I do apologise if I havnt given credit where it is due - I do believe it may have been yours. Anyway - we love it here! I often brown everything in the pan then chuck it all in the crockpot for the day, but do prefer it in the oven

245sam, Dec 14, 11:38am
No apology needed bjkiwi.I was really surprised (and pleased) to see the recipe again whilst at the same time being so pleased that that recipe we also enjoy was being enjoyed so much by another MBer that you posted it, and I was curious to know too, if you had sourced the recipe from here or from, maybe, the same source as I did which I think was a NZ Woman's Weekly, probably about 30 years ago.:-))

molly37, Dec 15, 5:24am
I fry cross cut blade steak to seal in a very hot pan. Then fry lots of sliced onions. Place steak with onions on the top in a baking dish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, couple of handfuls of flour, and I usually crumble a couple of beef stock cubes, maybe packet gravy, anything really to flavour. Cover just with water and bake slowly covered for about 3 hours., Its a real favourite in our family over the winter. So tender and tasty.

kuaka, Dec 15, 9:25am
But would you do that with sirloin steak, because even though o/p asked for a braised steak recipe it seems she was wanting to use sirloin!