HELP! Its steak tonight..

Page 1 / 2
iwantstuff, Jul 28, 5:41am
and I cant cook steak. Well I can, but I always set smoke alarms off, and dry it out. Please any tips, as its nearly tea time!

lythande1, Jul 28, 5:51am
Turn the temp down.

rainrain1, Jul 28, 6:00am
you're doing fine by the sounds of it :-)

iwantstuff, Jul 28, 6:02am
I have a gas hob, and have it down low, but my pan always smokes, and I dont have an extractor fan which makes it worse.

fisher, Jul 28, 6:17am
Take your steaks and drizzle a little Worcestershire sauce over the top..
good grind of rock salt and black pepper and some crushed garlic smeared over... let it sit .. and turn you pan on till "hot"... with a little sizzling oil...lay you steak in and leave it alone... it will release when its nicely browned on one side.. lift steak let pan come up to temp (hot again) and turn over... leave it alone..!!!!
Don't over do it as it will carry on cooking while you let it rest, covered on your cutting board... should be nice and med ..cooked through and pink/ red in the middle but not 'bleeding'...Make sure you have plated up all your veges and they are ready while the steaks rest.. then plate up the steaks

prawn_whiskas, Jul 28, 6:19am
your cookware is wrong if its still smoking on low. make sure what you are using is rated for use on gas.

With good cookware on medium heat, for medium/well done 4 mins on each side for a 1'' thick steak.Remove to a warm covered dish to rest for a minimum of 5 minutes. then serve.

winnie231, Jul 28, 6:20am
What type of pan do you have & what sort of steak is it?
If it's an option - heat your oven up to as hot as possible (250C), sear your steak for a couple of minutes in a hot frypan on both sides, then transfer the pan to the oven for another 5 mins. Lift out, cover loosely & rest for another 5 mins.
The times may need adjusting if you like your steak well cooked.

iwantstuff, Jul 28, 6:23am
Thanks everyone, think my cookware is past it, its a very old teflon pan with no teflon left, so will need to get some new ones I think.

prawn_whiskas, Jul 28, 6:25am
Well that explains it!..What ever you do don't buy teflon again.. google the teflon flu and read up.Get some real cook ware designed to be used on the gas hob, yes you will pay a bit more but they will actually last and not poison you in the process.

iwantstuff, Jul 28, 6:35am
Yes keep meaning to chuck the old thing away, then it always seems to find its way back in the cupboard. Any good brands that you could recommend?

fisher, Jul 28, 6:36am
Cast iron for steak

prawn_whiskas, Jul 28, 6:38am
Yea Cast iron is good.. but takes skill to cook on it.. (lovely results thou if you can learn)

Just get something that is rated for gas hobs and not teflon and you will be fine.. I like Scanpan, circulon, and any of the ceramic ones.

beaker59, Jul 29, 2:52am
Cast Iron doesn't need any special skill its a fry pan.

westigal, Jul 29, 4:08am
Marinade
1 slog wort sauce( about a tbsp)
2 slogs balasamic vinegar
1 slog cooking oil
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp brown sugar
1 clove crushed garlic
1/4c white wine or water
mix all together, coat steak and leave at least 15 mins
I always get the thick cut rump steak {1" thick"from the Aussie butcher, supermarket steak is too thin and drys out before its cooked. And my theory is if I am going to spend hard earned money on a steak its gotta be enjoyable, and you don't need such a big piece because of the thickness.

Cast iron pan nice and hot, sear steaks for 1 minute on each side, then put pan into middle of apreheated oven 180 degrees for about10 minutes.
Remove from oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes.
An old butcher friend showed me this way of cooking it after I served him "leather' one night, steak has been perfect ever since. Most modern non stick pans are too thin to cook a steak properly according to him LOL

wasgonna, Jul 29, 4:27am
Take it outside and throw on the bbq then you can as much smoke as you like.

kinna54, Jul 29, 5:53am
Fist testing mantra for steak doneness:
Rare or underdone steaks feels soft, and spongy, as when you relax your hand and press the area between thumb and hand. Medium steaks feel firmer and springier, as it feels if you flex your fingers and press the same area. Well done steaks or *ruined* as any chef would say, feel very firm and tough, as when you make a tight fist and press the same area. Hope that helps. yum enjoy!

kinna54, Jul 29, 5:59am
Cast iron pan nice and hot,so if you flick a drop of water it sizzles, no oil necessary, cook2mins, turn and then cook to required doneness. As in the *fist mantra" and as westigal says definitely "rest" the steak for 10mins before serving. Restaurant quality method, and oh so yummy! Enjoy!
edited to say only ever turn the steak once, and don't poke at it or handle it more than necessary.

rainrain1, Jul 29, 6:00am
you're doing fine by the sounds of it :-)

kinna54, Jul 29, 6:03am
PPs: you don't have to pay the high prices for a cast iron pan either: got mine from a sallies op shop, it is the old black type and heavy enough to knock out a sailor! man it's brilliant.! And I won't part with it!

fisher, Jul 29, 6:17am
Take your steaks and drizzle a little Worcestershire sauce over the top.
good grind of rock salt and black pepper and some crushed garlic smeared over. let it sit . and turn you pan on till "hot". with a little sizzling oil.lay you steak in and leave it alone. it will release when its nicely browned on one side. lift steak let pan come up to temp (hot again) and turn over. leave it alone.!
Don't over do it as it will carry on cooking while you let it rest, covered on your cutting board. should be nice and med .cooked through and pink/ red in the middle but not 'bleeding'.Make sure you have plated up all your veges and they are ready while the steaks rest. then plate up the steaks

(cast iron pan. cant beat it)

prawn_whiskas, Jul 29, 6:19am
your cookware is wrong if its still smoking on low. make sure what you are using is rated for use on gas.

With good cookware on medium heat, for medium/well done 4 mins on each side for a 1'' thick steak.Remove to a warm covered dish to rest for a minimum of 5 minutes. then serve.

winnie231, Jul 29, 6:20am
What type of pan do you have & what sort of steak is it!
If it's an option - heat your oven up to as hot as possible (250C), sear your steak for a couple of minutes in a hot frypan on both sides, then transfer the pan to the oven for another 5 mins. Lift out, cover loosely & rest for another 5 mins.
The times may need adjusting if you like your steak well cooked.

prawn_whiskas, Jul 29, 6:25am
Well that explains it!.What ever you do don't buy teflon again. google the teflon flu and read up.Get some real cook ware designed to be used on the gas hob, yes you will pay a bit more but they will actually last and not poison you in the process.

iwantstuff, Jul 29, 6:35am
Yes keep meaning to chuck the old thing away, then it always seems to find its way back in the cupboard. Any good brands that you could recommend!

prawn_whiskas, Jul 29, 6:38am
Yea Cast iron is good. but takes skill to cook on it. (lovely results thou if you can learn)

Just get something that is rated for gas hobs and not teflon and you will be fine. I like Scanpan, circulon, and any of the ceramic ones.