good old fashioned steamed pudding recipes.. .

Page 6 / 7
rubyjane11, Apr 1, 1:28am
all the nice ones that mum and grandma used to make, thanks

245sam, Apr 1, 2:03am
Steamed Marmalade Pudding 1/2 cup marmalade, 1 cup flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 85g butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 egg, 1/3 cup milk. Place the marmalade in the bottom of a greased 5 cup pudding basin. Sift the flour & baking powder into a bowl, then add the butter & cut it in, to resemble fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the brown sugar. Beat the egg & milk, then add the egg & milk to the dry ingredients. Mix together until the dry ingredients are evenly dampened. Spoon the mixture on top of the marmalade, then cover the basin securely & steam for 1&1/2 hrs or steam in a crockpot/slow cooker for approx. 3 hrs on HIGH. Turn out & serve with e. g. icecream, cream, custard (omit the sugar and sweeten/flavour the custard with marmalade). Serves 4-6. Suggestion: If there’s any leftover, freeze it in serving-size portions then when needed place a frozen portion of pud in each serving plate, pour custard over it, cover with plastic wrap & reheat carefully in the m'wave.

245sam, Apr 1, 2:04am
Fluffy Chocolate Pudding 55g butter, 85g sugar, 1 egg, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp vanilla essence, 170g flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tbsp cocoa, 1/2 cup milk. Cream the butter & sugar, then beat in the egg, lemon juice & vanilla essence. Sift the dry ingredients & add them alternately with the milk. Steam for 2 hours & serve with chocolate sauce.

245sam, Apr 1, 2:05am
Canary Pudding 55g (2oz) butter, 85g (3oz) sugar, lemon essence to flavour, 2 eggs, 115g (4oz) flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tbsp milk. Cream the butter & sugar, then add the lemon essence. Beat the eggs & add them alternately with the sifted flour & baking powder. Lastly add the milk. Steam for 1-1&1/4 hours.

jenna68, Apr 1, 2:45am
Nana's quick and easy steamed pud. . 1 cup milk, 1 cup fruit (never tried anything else but sultanas (how boring) so let me know if you try some other fruit and it's nice! ), 1 dssp butter, 3/4 cup brown sug - bring to boil, mix will curdle, that's fine. Remove from heat, add 1 cup flour, 1 tsp baking soda and 2 tsp mix spice (no BP in this). Place in greased pudd basin, cover with glad wrap, stab in some holes, place in large pot with water already boiling, place lid on pot and simmer 1 hour, keep checking your water. This is nice :o)

dollmakernz, Apr 1, 3:03am
BASIC STEAMED PUDDINGAND VARIATIONS This is just as nice made in a covered casserole dish in the microwave.
1c flour, ¼c sugar, 1tsp b/powder, 1 egg, ½c milk, 50g butter.
Sift flour and baking powder into a medium sized bowl. In another bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well. Add the milk and dry
ingredients alternately to the creamed mixture. Stir to mix. Pour the mixture into a greased 4-cup pudding basin. Cover with pleated grease proofpaper and foil and steam for 2 hours
in a saucepan half filled with water. Remove from saucepan and turn out on to a serving plate. Serve with custard.
Serves 4.
HONEY STEAMED PUDDING: Place half a cup of honey in the bowl then add the pudding mixture.
TREACLE AND NUT PUDDING: Place 3 tablespoons treacle in base of bowl covered with walnuts. Pour pudding mixture over.

juliewn, Apr 1, 11:45am
This is a delicious fruit steamed pudding, which is so nice we use it as ourfavourite Christmas Pudding: It's very easy, egg and milk free, and only has 1 tsp butter, which could be substituted for margarine or a lightly flavoured oil. . Christmas Pudding: In a large bowl, mix 2 rounded cups flour, 2 tsp mixed spice, 2 tsp cinnamon, (plus 1/2 tsp nutmeg if liked), 1 cup sugar, 1 rounded cup each of currants and sultanas. 1/2 cup raisins. Mix 2 tsp baking soda into 1 cup cold water. Mix 1 tsp butter into 1 cup hot water. Mix the two cups of liquid together and add to the dry ingredients and mix well. Place into a greased bowl and cover, and steam for 3 hours. Or place a cloth into a bowl, pour the mix in, tie the cloth with string and boil for 3 hours. Just delicious. . You can make it and freeze till needed - thaw overnight in the fridge, and place back into boiling water to heat for 1 1/2 hours, or heat in a crockpot. or reheat wedges in your microwave. . Leftover's make a lovely moist 'cake'. . Cheers...

jenna68, Apr 3, 9:57pm
gg... gg

svx1, Apr 4, 4:54am
hey janeygirl26 Do you have the recipe for the same steam pudding but with the burnt sugar? ? ? I made your steam pudding and it was great! ! A lady makes the same as yours but uses burnt sugar as the flavouring and its devine do you know what I mean. . hope you can help, cheers.

maitredee, Apr 4, 6:24am
x1
#svx1 not Janeygirl, however if you like her recipe, you only need to burn 2 tblespoons of sugar to add and color if you desire. My late Mum's marae recipe uses 2tblsps of burnt sugar and plum jam and condense milk as the sweetener.

svx1, Apr 4, 12:35pm
Hi maitredee thanks for your recipe so would I just place sugar in a pan let it go brown and how much condensed milk do you use? ? thanks

maitredee, Apr 4, 6:49pm
#svx1 To burn sugar, put it in a saucepan until it colors dark brown, will stick to the pot. Dont panic. . lol add a little water there you have your burnt sugar. Don't add any condense milk to this, I'm referring to another recipe, sorry for any confusion.

svx1, Apr 4, 11:04pm
Big thankyou maitredee Thanks a bunch I will not panic! ! lol lo

evenmore, Apr 8, 10:41am
savingthese for winter warmers

fruitluva2, Apr 10, 3:11am
... . . ...

2boysmum, Apr 10, 5:07am
The nigella one... Sorry, didnt come back and let you know how it went! It was really nice, but the syrup at the bottom was rather tart. I think next time I will just add golden syrup on the bottom. But it was YUMMO!

jenna68, Apr 10, 6:19pm
Bumping yep, Winter's cumin! :o)

maysept, Apr 10, 7:59pm
I don't have the book with me at the moment but Nigella Lawson's Golden Syrup pudding out of the Domestic Goddess book is fantastic- light and sweet and not at all stodgy like a lot of golden syrup puddings can be. You might be able to find it online?

valentino, Apr 17, 1:50am
=^. ^= with ( & )

wron, Apr 17, 7:16am
If you live around Dunedin you might want one of these tomorrow!

jenna68, Apr 19, 10:26pm
Bumpin, too good to lose! :o)

jenna68, Apr 22, 9:27am
And again. . :o)

jenna68, Apr 22, 6:10pm
bumping for Winter x

wron, Apr 29, 4:11am
It's a good day for one of these! Bumping

jenna68, Apr 30, 6:46pm
f... f