The white ends of the silverbeet

Page 1 / 2
motorbo, Jul 24, 6:18am
okay veges aint cheap these days...and though i love silverbeet ive never been that keen on the white bits, how could i cook and serve them on their own

agave1, Jul 24, 6:24am
fry them up in butter or olive oil, finish with salt and lemon juice.yum, and high in fibre.

motorbo, Jul 24, 6:38am
oh thank you that sounds nice

jag5, Jul 24, 6:57am
Chop finely and cook and add to a light cheese sauce.Love these bits...

davidt4, Jul 24, 8:01am
Lebanese Silverbeet Stalks with Tahini

serves 6

3 c silverbeet stalks, trimmed and cut 2 cm
60 ml lemon juice
70 ml tahini
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ tsp salt
parsley to serve

Put stalks in saucepan, cover with cold water, cover and bring to a boil.Cook 10 min or until tender.Drain very well

Beat together the lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt and 60 ml water.Pour over stalks and toss to coat.

Serve hot or at room temp with parsley leaves.

tomodew, Jul 24, 8:05am
soup

motorbo, Jul 24, 8:09am
interesting recipe, u like it?

kuaka, Jul 24, 8:28am
I just boil them, chop them into pieces and put in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes before adding the chopped green bits.Served together, they are fine.

motorbo, Jul 24, 8:44am
since i dont really like them i need more flavour than chopped green bits ...sorry but cheers for the idea

kuaka, Jul 24, 9:21am
I didn't like them when I first started eating silverbeet many years ago, but actually I find them quite tasteless.If you chop them up with the green of the silverbeet I don't even notice them. When I think about it, silverbeet doesn't really have a lot of flavour at all.

firemansgirl, Jul 24, 9:56am
I personally cook mine white/green together but have also had the white stalks chopped finely with leeks and baked in a cheese sauce. Gorgeous!

motorbo, Jul 24, 10:14am
i love the green part and find it very tasty

dec1066, Jul 24, 10:56am
My Ma used to boil them up and serve with a parsley sauce

kumerakid, Jul 25, 6:27am
yummy,silverbeetstalks and broccoli stalks (which i peel the tough outer skin off) slice dice and into the soup, or steam and cheese sauce

motorbo, Jul 25, 7:24am
i eat the broccoli stalks raw...yummm

motorbo, Jul 31, 6:50am
thank you, tonight i had heaps of whites, and lamb steaks for dinner, so i three the whites chopped up in the pan with the steaks, rosemary and garlic,, pan fried in the olive oil, at the end i threw in some lemon juice and white wine, so so so delish!! i was gobbling it up first!! ha ha

hilt_dwane, Jul 31, 10:27am
I just dice them up and cook with the leaves. Always serve silver beet with a drizzle of malt vinegar... nice, nice!!

books4nz, Jul 31, 10:41am
Place the chopped stems in the bottom of the saucepan with water almost covering - chopped or torn leaves on top so they steam in the same time the stems cooked. One of our favourite veges.

motorbo, Jul 24, 6:18am
okay veges aint cheap these days.and though i love silverbeet ive never been that keen on the white bits, how could i cook and serve them on their own

jag5, Jul 24, 6:57am
Chop finely and cook and add to a light cheese sauce.Love these bits.

motorbo, Jul 24, 8:09am
interesting recipe, u like it!

motorbo, Jul 24, 8:44am
since i dont really like them i need more flavour than chopped green bits .sorry but cheers for the idea

kuaka, Jul 24, 9:21am
I didn't like them when I first started eating silverbeet many years ago, but actually I find them quite tasteless.If you chop them up with the green of the silverbeet I don't even notice them. When I think about it, silverbeet doesn't really have a lot of flavour at all.

motorbo, Jul 25, 7:24am
i eat the broccoli stalks raw.yummm

motorbo, Jul 31, 6:50am
thank you, tonight i had heaps of whites, and lamb steaks for dinner, so i three the whites chopped up in the pan with the steaks, rosemary and garlic,, pan fried in the olive oil, at the end i threw in some lemon juice and white wine, so so so delish! i was gobbling it up first! ha ha