Silverbeet

livinginsin, Jan 3, 12:15am
Yum makes a delicious salad, remove the white stalky centre. Chop as finely as possible, add finely chopped red onion and grated tasty cheese, then add a small amount of French dressing, yum yum.

happychappy50, Dec 28, 7:09am
Give it ya chooks . They lurve it . That's if you have any

lilyfield, Dec 28, 8:44am
I can eat it morning noon and night.
Freeze it
Make quiches
Soup

muzzo, Dec 28, 8:59am
Smoothies - yum!

cycadpa, Dec 28, 9:24am
I have heaps too and I make fritattas. Each one takes around a dozen leaves more if you like. DELICIOUS.

petal1955, Dec 28, 10:30am
Creamed Silverbeet & Horseradish

600g silverbeet, stems and leaves separated
Stock cube (chicken or Veggie) dissolved in ½ cup water
4 tablespoons creamed horseradish
1 cup cream
½ cup Sour Cream
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Finely dice the silverbeet stems and coarsely chop the leaves.

Place water and stock cube in a large saucepan. Add the silverbeet, cover and place on high heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes until wilted and soft. Pour into a colander and squeeze as much of the liquid out as possible. Put the silverbeet back in the saucepan and add the horseradish and the sour cream and cream. Stir and simmer with the lid off for a couple more minutes.

Remove from the heat and blitz with a wand blender or similar. I like to keep it a little chunky and rustic. Season and keep warm until required.

Recipes

Recipe: Silverbeet and Mushroom Pie

This recipe is great for those nights when you just can’t be bothered with the hassle of cooking. It’s quick and simple to prepare, and it’s healthy!

INGREDIENTS

2 tbs olive oil

2 onions, finely sliced

3 cloves garlic, chopped

500g Portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced

1 bunch silverbeet, roughly chopped

Pinch nutmeg

Salt & ground black pepper

4 eggs

300ml lite cream

1/2 cup grated low fat cheese

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 180°C

2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Once hot, brown the onion and garlic for 5 mins or until soft. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 mins.

3. Add the silverbeet, nutmeg, salt and pepper to the pan (place on top of mushrooms), then cover and cook until the silverbeet wilts. Remove from the element, and now stir the silverbeet through the mushrooms and remove any excess moisture.

4. Transfer the mixture into a large baking dish. Whisk the eggs and cream together, add some salt and pepper to season and stir through the grated cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the silverbeet mixture, mix lightly using a fork.

5. Bake the pie for 40 mins or until golden and set. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.

Silverbeet Bake

Serves: 4
Preparation time: 15 to 30 minutes

Ingredients

1 bunch silverbeet (14 stems), chopped
2 onions, chopped
125 g bacon, diced
4 eggs
1 tablespoon butter
1 ½ cups grated tasty cheese
1 cup cream

Method
1.Cook silverbeet until tender, then drain well.
2.Melt butter in a frypan.
3.Gently fry bacon and onion until cooked.
4.Add silverbeet to pan and mix through.
5.Press the silverbeet mixture into a lightly greased casserole dish.
6.Beat the eggs and cream together with a fork and pour over the silverbeet.
7.Sprinkle cheese over the top of the mixture.
8.Bake at 180°C for 35-40 minutes.

petal1955, Dec 28, 10:31am
Silverbeet Salad
w Peanut Butter Dressing
Finely sliced silverbeet leaves
Oranges segments cut into pieces
Red Onion sliced finely
Red pepper sliced finely

Dressing
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tsp honey
1 tsp soya sauce
Orange juice
Garlic & Ginger grated

Shake together

Silverbeet, Potato & Lentil Curry Pie
Serves 6
Prep Time 30 mins
Cook Time 45 mins

1kg red rascal potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm thick slices
2 tbs olive oil
2 onions finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tbs tomato paste
¾ cup vegetable stock
400 grms can lentils, drained
1 bunch silverbeet (500g) washed, inner stem removed. Finely shredded
Salt & Pepper to taste
3 sheets frozen short crust pastry, thawed
1 egg yolk
Greek yoghurt, fresh coriander and tomatoes, to serve
Grease a 19cm x 30cm lamington pan.
Boil, steam or microwave the potatoes until just tender. Drain. Spread on a tray to cool.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep frying pan. Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Stir in curry powder and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock and lentils and silverbeet. Bring to boil, Simmer stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until silverbeet wilts slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
Join 1.1/2 sheets of pastry together with edges slightly overlapping. Lift into prepared pan. Trim edge. Layer potatoes, slightly overlapping over base. Top with lentil mixture. Join remaining pastry together with edges slightly overlapping. Place on top, tucking in edges to seal and trim. Cut 8 slits crosswise into pastry at 3 cm intervals. Brush with egg yolk.
Cook in hot oven (200 degrees C) for 45 minutes or until crisp and golden.
Serve with yoghurt, coriander and tomatoes

I used a combination of diced agria potatoes & pumpkin (You could also add diced kumara to this mix)
Instead of the shortcrust pasty I used the ready rolled flaky puff pastry sheets and rolled them out a little bit thinner and made individual servings. I put the mixture on half of the pastry then folded them over and moistened the edges with egg wash and then crimped then with a fork to seal and cut some steam holes in the top and brushed with egg wash.

Instead of using the coriander (which I cant tolerate) I used some greek yoghurt with some grated garlic, lemon zest and used lots of fresh chopped herbs,(Pizza thyme, mint,parsley, chives)

Silverbeet, Potato & Lentil Curry Pie
Serves 6
Prep Time 30 mins
Cook Time 45 mins

1kg red rascal potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm thick slices
2 tbs olive oil
2 onions finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tbs tomato paste
¾ cup vegetable stock
400 grms can lentils, drained
1 bunch silverbeet (500g) washed, inner stem removed. Finely shredded
Salt & Pepper to taste
3 sheets frozen short crust pastry, thawed
1 egg yolk
Greek yoghurt, fresh coriander and tomatoes, to serve
Grease a 19cm x 30cm lamington pan.
Boil, steam or microwave the potatoes until just tender. Drain. Spread on a tray to cool.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep frying pan. Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Stir in curry powder and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock and lentils and silverbeet. Bring to boil, Simmer stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until silverbeet wilts slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
Join 1.1/2 sheets of pastry together with edges slightly overlapping. Lift into prepared pan. Trim edge. Layer potatoes, slightly overlapping over base. Top with lentil mixture. Join remaining pastry together with edges slightly overlapping. Place on top, tucking in edges to seal and trim. Cut 8 slits crosswise into pastry at 3 cm intervals. Brush with egg yolk.
Cook in hot oven (200 degrees C) for 45 minutes or until crisp and golden.
Serve with yoghurt, coriander and tomatoes

I used a combination of diced agria potatoes & pumpkin (You could also add diced kumara to this mix)
Instead of the shortcr

molly37, Dec 28, 10:57am
I used a big bunch of it tonight finely chopped in my quiche. Yum.

lulu239, Dec 28, 10:48pm
I have just cooked 2 huge pots for freezing. I make a slice with tinned corned beef and silver beet and having it all ready is a saving in time. There is still the same amount looking at me in the garden. There's always another day.

sla11, Dec 28, 10:53pm
Beetroot Pickle - makes huge mess going thro mincer but is yummy!

lulu239, Dec 30, 4:38am
POTATO AND CORNED BEEF PIE

1 onion 2 cloves garlic 1 Tbsp oil 2 potatoes cooked and cubed 1 cup cooked chopped silverbeet 1 can corned beef flaked
3 eggs 1 cup trim milk
½ cup self raising flour freshly ground pepper

Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Sauté until soft but not browned in a pan with the oil. Mix together in a bowl the cubed potato, silver beet and corned beef. Beat the eggs, milk and flour together. Stir this through the meat and vegetable mix. Season with pepper. Tip the mixture in a greased oven proof dish lined with paper or foil (for easy removal if wanting to take it out and cut when cold). Bake for 20-25 minutes at 200°C. Serve warm, hot or cold. I suggest you use the low fat corned beef.

julzienz, Dec 30, 8:09am
To freeze it, would you need to cook it first? Freeze in cooked lumps? Or. ?

uli, Dec 31, 5:54am
bump for silver beet - mine has already gone to seed.

lulu239, Dec 31, 11:54am
I cook mine first then loosen it up when I put ii in a container to freeze,

fifie, Dec 31, 8:52pm
SILVERBEET WITH WALNUTS, CURRANTS &
PARMESAN
Ingredients
175g dried currants
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar and 1 Tbsp hot water
225g walnuts
1kg silverbeet or spinach, washed and drained
50g freshly grated parmesan cheese
Freshly ground pepper and salt
Method
Soak the currants for at least 30 minutes or longer if possible.
Preheat the oven 200C. Moisten the walnuts with a little olive oil, then roast them on a baking
tray for about 5 minutes or until golden; keep a close eye on them as they burn very quickly.
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and plunge in the silverbeet stalks, cook for 2‐3 minutes
and then add the leaves. Cook for a further 2 minutes then drain and lay flat on a tray lined
with a dry, clean cloth. Set aside.
Heat a large fry pan up with the oil and add the drained silverbeet , toss to warm through, then
add the nuts, and currants, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and lastly the cheese.
Toss to combine and serve.
It is great with fish, pork and steak.
Lots of ideas here and their recipes are pretty good.
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/collections/silverbeet+recipes

rainrain1, Feb 16, 4:04pm
It's really yumbo, cooked for a light meal with 2 runny poached eggs on top,