What can I do with silverbeet

Page 1 / 2
tracey57, Mar 5, 4:12am
I've never been a fan but got given a whole lot so thought I'd give it another try. What's the nicest way to cook it? Cheers.

2halls, Mar 5, 4:20am
I slice the stems very thinly,in a large pan (that has a lid) ... heat a little olive oil,add the sliced stems,shake of chilli flakes,some crushed garlic and salt.Cook for a few minutes.Then I pile the sliced leaves on top,place the lid on and steam it for a few more minutes.Remove the lid,stir all together and serve.This is really delicious.You can also add a tablespoon or two of Greek yoghurt or sour cream just before you serve it if you wish.:-)

cgvl, Mar 5, 4:30am
This is nice:
Doesn't need a base but you can do a pastry one if desired.
1large onion, 1-2 cloves garlic crushed, 2 Tbsp oil. saute the previous 2 ingredients in the oil until soft. Add 500g spinach or silverbeet cook gently over a low heat for approx 10mins. allow to cool slightly. In a bowl mix together 2 eggs, ½tsp nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste, 250g cottage cheese and ½cup grated cheese.
Combine the two mixes and pour into a deep pie dish. Cover if desired with a lattice pastry top. Cook 180C for 45-60mins or until set and top a light golden colour

tracey57, Mar 5, 4:48am
Yum..................they both sound worth a try. Many thanks.

aktow, Mar 5, 12:35pm
chop up andsaute in frying pan. add onions , bacon, mushrooms, when cooked
add a little curry and cream , reduce cream to get a thick sauce, season with salt and pepper, garlic is optional

aktow, Mar 5, 12:42pm
a type of fritter,,
boil roughly chopped silverbeet, take out of pot and squeeze out all the water and then chop the silverbeet again, add grated cheese to the silverbeet, add diced onions, add garlic, add raw eggs, enough to bind all together, add a little bread crumbs, season and roll in to balls and then flatten slightly. pan fry until brown. , it will be brown on outside and green in the middle..

this silverbeet recipe you can add any leftover in to the mix like, mashed potato,cooked veg, ,

aktow, Mar 5, 12:57pm
i went to a friends house and there kids hated veg expecially silverbeet. i went in to there frig and i pulled out the hight before left over stirfryveg, rice,cooked mushrooms.. i boileda big lot of silverbeet andi minced the white parts, the finely chopped the stirfry veg so the kids did not know,, i added the rice, mushrooms, there was left over pumpkin so i diced that and added that to my mix..then added eggs and bread crumbs.. i made half the mix into balls and the rest flattened,i saute the flat mix but they had a deep fryer so i deeped the balls in to egg and the in to crumbs. then i deep fried them.. the kids loved them and wanted more... if you have no deep fryer then you can add cooking oil to a pan and shallow fry them . just flatten the balls so they brown ..you do not need to crumb the mix.. i did it only so the kids had a option, luckily they loved both ways

rainrain1, Mar 5, 6:48pm
you could offer it to someone who keep their chooks in a run, hens love it

lx4000, Mar 5, 7:26pm
addto lasagna as a layer. Add to mince and stews.

thq, Mar 6, 2:45am
mashed with pumpkin is good

tracey57, Mar 6, 4:12am
I've never been a fan but got given a whole lot so thought I'd give it another try. What's the nicest way to cook it! Cheers.

2halls, Mar 6, 4:20am
I slice the stems very thinly,in a large pan (that has a lid) . heat a little olive oil,add the sliced stems,shake of chilli flakes,some crushed garlic and salt.Cook for a few minutes.Then I pile the sliced leaves on top,place the lid on and steam it for a few more minutes.Remove the lid,stir all together and serve.This is really delicious.You can also add a tablespoon or two of Greek yoghurt or sour cream just before you serve it if you wish.:-)

cgvl, Mar 6, 4:30am
This is nice:
Doesn't need a base but you can do a pastry one if desired.
1large onion, 1-2 cloves garlic crushed, 2 Tbsp oil. saute the previous 2 ingredients in the oil until soft. Add 500g spinach or silverbeet cook gently over a low heat for approx 10mins. allow to cool slightly. In a bowl mix together 2 eggs, ½tsp nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste, 250g cottage cheese and ½cup grated cheese.
Combine the two mixes and pour into a deep pie dish. Cover if desired with a lattice pastry top. Cook 180C for 45-60mins or until set and top a light golden colour

tracey57, Mar 6, 4:48am
Yum.they both sound worth a try. Many thanks.

clair4, Mar 6, 6:22am
Silverbeet and cabbage shredded fine and mixed together and cooked in the microwave with butter and chicken stock is lovely.Will post the recipe if interested.

nik12, Mar 6, 7:05am
Selfcrusting quiche, the one with cubed potato's with silverbeet - yum!
Off the top of my head...
saute 1 onion, couple cloves garlic (if you want add bacon, or leftover chicken)
cook 1 C potato's
1C silver beet (which is actually a lot)
Let cook.
Combine 1/2C self raising flour, 1C cheese, salf and pepper with 1C milkwith 3 eggs beaten in(doesn't matter if it's lumpy, don't over mix).
Add the veges and cook in a quiche dish at 180, for 45mins?Check it after half an hour.
I do lots more than 1C potatoes, and add an extra egg and a bit more milk if I think it looks like it needs it.
MIght pay to do a search here for self crusting quiche, or google Allyson Holts one which I think is where mine came from :-)
I've used it when I'm catering and people have told me it's yum, what's the green stuff? I say silverbeet - they say But I don't like silverbeet! LOL
Or any recipie were you could use spinach I recon.

aktow, Mar 6, 12:42pm
a type of fritter,,
boil roughly chopped silverbeet, take out of pot and squeeze out all the water and then chop the silverbeet again, add grated cheese to the silverbeet, add diced onions, add garlic, add raw eggs, enough to bind all together, add a little bread crumbs, season and roll in to balls and then flatten slightly. pan fry until brown. , it will be brown on outside and green in the middle.

this silverbeet recipe you can add any leftover in to the mix like, mashed potato,cooked veg, ,

aktow, Mar 6, 12:57pm
i went to a friends house and there kids hated veg expecially silverbeet. i went in to there frig and i pulled out the hight before left over stirfryveg, rice,cooked mushrooms. i boileda big lot of silverbeet andi minced the white parts, the finely chopped the stirfry veg so the kids did not know,, i added the rice, mushrooms, garlic and lots ofgrated cheese ,there was left over pumpkin so i diced that and added that to my mix.then added eggs and bread crumbs. i made half the mix into balls and the rest i flattened,i saute the flat mix , they had a deep fryer so i dipped the balls in to egg and then in to crumbs. then i deep fried them. the kids loved them and wanted more. if you have no deep fryer then you can add cooking oil to a pan and shallow fry them . just flatten the balls so they brown .you do not need to crumb the mix. i did it only so the kids had a option, luckily they loved both ways

tracey57, Mar 6, 10:01pm
Tried this last nite, very tasty, but went a little heavy with the chilli flakes!!

nik12, Mar 7, 7:05am
Selfcrusting quiche, the one with cubed potato's with silverbeet - yum!
Off the top of my head.
saute 1 onion, couple cloves garlic (if you want add bacon, or leftover chicken)
cook 1 C potato's
1C silver beet (which is actually a lot)
Let cook.
Combine 1/2C self raising flour, 1C cheese, salf and pepper with 1C milkwith 3 eggs beaten in(doesn't matter if it's lumpy, don't over mix).
Add the veges and cook in a quiche dish at 180, for 45mins!Check it after half an hour.
I do lots more than 1C potatoes, and add an extra egg and a bit more milk if I think it looks like it needs it.
MIght pay to do a search here for self crusting quiche, or google Allyson Holts one which I think is where mine came from :-)
I've used it when I'm catering and people have told me it's yum, what's the green stuff! I say silverbeet - they say But I don't like silverbeet! LOL
Or any recipie were you could use spinach I recon.

tracey57, Mar 7, 10:01pm
Tried this last nite, very tasty, but went a little heavy with the chilli flakes!

uli, Mar 6, 1:42am
Silverbeet frittata:

2 large cooked potatoes
4 eggs
4 bacon rashers, diced
60g feta cheese, crumbled
1 onion, diced
1 bunch (about 200g) silver beet, finely chopped

In an ovenproof pan, fry the onion and bacon until soft in a little oil. Add the potatoes to the pan, toss to combine, then spread the silver beet out over the top of everything in the pan. Sprinkle the feta over the top and pour the egg mixture over the top of everything and tip the pan so the mixture is evenly distributed.

Cook the frittata at 180 degrees C until the egg is set.

You can sprinkle some edam or cheddar cheese over the top if you like.

lilyfield, Mar 6, 1:50am
if all else fails-- freeze it for later use

vomo2, Mar 6, 3:00am
Dinner last night was so yummmm! 12 sheets of Filo pastry,sprayed each sheet with oil, then in the middle of the 12 high sheet square I put thinly sliced chicken breast that had been marinating in Morrocan spice all day, then silver beet leaves ( not stalks) which I had brought to the boil and strained well.Layered this on top of the chicken, then added some Danish feta cheese, and rolled it all up into a log. Sprayed the roll, then cut it into 4 pieces. We had 2 hot last night and tonight we will have a salad and the other 2 possibly with a chilli sauce on top. To add extra flavour, you could add par boiled leeks on top of the silverbeet.

uli, Mar 6, 4:48am
And if you'd like to eat a less "caloric" meal - then do the above recipe and leave out the 12 sheets of filo - tastes just as nice :) Just add salad.