Silverbeet chutney

sande, Sep 30, 8:47am
My sister used to make amazing chutney with silverbeet out of her garden.
Ive googled but cant find any recipes.
Has anyone got one lying around in an old recipe book or know how to make it? I always have way to much silverbeet and would like to make some.

obviousas, Sep 30, 9:19am
There's chutney made out of absolutely any thing. At the end of the day, if you like it the way it was made, it tastes marvelous.

Therefore, chutneys have the same basic ingredients. Unless it isoverpowering in some way extra spicy or strong favoured, the chutney will taste like what you put in. Silverbeet is not over domineering and can be use in another chutney recipe you may have.

I use to make feijoa chutney every year. I discovered a granny smithchutney from UK. Actually was given one and tasted uncannily similar to my own feijoa chutney.

Well. I believe you can make a chutney out of basically any fruit or vegetable. If no recipe is forthcoming just use any from the net and you will be ok.

jazzryn, Sep 30, 9:28am
x1
Silver Beet pickle
4 cups silver beet whites, 7 medium onions, 5 celery stalks, 1 tblsp celery seeds, 1 tblsp mustard seed, 2 pints malt vinegar, 4 cups sugar.

Cut solids in food processer, sprinkle with common salt and leave for 2 hours then strain well. Cover with vinegar, sugar, mustard and celery seeds. Cook until tender. Make thickning with 1/2 cup cornflour, 1 tsp tumeric, 1 tsp curry powder and 2 tsp mustard powder, mix with 1/2 cup cold water and thicken pickle then cook a further 5 mins.
This is a lovely pickle to have with cold meats and in sandwiches.

sande, Apr 28, 7:17am
Oh yum Jazzryn.That sounds like it. Thanks so much . And thanks obviousas . :)