2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 Tblsp BP
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups dates
1 Tblsp melted margerine
2 dessertsp cinnamon
zest of 1 orange or lemon
Sift dry ingredients.In a glass jug put dates and cover with boiling water.Cook fo 4minutes in microwave. Drain. Mix all ingredients together and add milk to form a soft dough. Shape into a circle and place on greased and floured baking tray.Bake 15min, 170degC

mackenzie2, Jul 21, 10:16pm
Ummm. I always put lemon zest in with my date scones but never Orange, the cinnamon would make it lovely also, thanks will make these

cookessentials, Jul 21, 10:17pm
We had date and orange scones in Havelock North ( Hawthorn Coffee) plenty of dates ( a must) orange rind and juice to gove as lovely orange flavour and then crystalised sugar on the top.

norse_westie, Jul 21, 11:50pm
I've always soaked my dates in orange juice for a couple of hours, and added orange zest - my grandmother taught me to make them this way. They are heavenly.

lynan, Jul 22, 12:34am
Ruth Pretty has a gorgeous Date Scone recipe on her site. Must make some more later!!

fifie, Jul 22, 12:40am
Date scones, recipe i use has dates and orange sandwiched in the middleits a wonder i'm not the size of porkey the pig with all these yummy recipes lol....

rainrain1, Jul 22, 10:18pm
Heaven, I'm in heaven,eating the above recipe for morning teaaaaaa,la la, la la la
Except I had to cook it an extra 10 minutes than what the recipe stated

elliehen, Jul 23, 12:57am
Were you tempted to cut it into wedges before baking?I wondered whether it might brown on the edges and stay gooey in the middle.

Must try it this afternoon to help take the chill off the day.

Edited to add:170*C is such a low temp for a scone...wonder if you raised the temp it would cook within the 15 mins??

rainrain1, Jul 23, 1:51am
Next time I would mould it into 2 rounds instead of one.Yes, and try a higher temp.