Tried and true bread & scone recipes please

birdie211, Jun 23, 12:41am
Hi all, my father is going bush for 3months being a caretaker in a lodge in the bush. He is after a very easy but yummy bread and scone recipe. He has a kitchen but is very simple, just as simple as his cooking skills! . He is greeting people from all over the world and wants to do it with home baking (cracks me up). Do you have some recipes you wouldnt mind handing over, also need to know equipment needed for making these as he will prob have to take it in etc size baking pan. He is going in in 2 weeks so wants to do some trial ones at home before he goes. TIA

245sam, Jun 23, 12:48am
birdie211, try doing some searches here on this Trademe MB usinge. g. 'bread' or 'scones' as the Keyword and 'Anytime' as the Date posted option - there is a substantial thread on here for each of the items that you're wanting (e. g. Idiot proof scones is one recipe that springs to mind - no offence to your Dad intended but I understand that it is a very successful and easy recipe).

Hope that helps and that your Dad's 3 months 'going bush' is a happy and successful experience. :-))

birdie211, Jun 23, 12:55am
no offence taken, I just feel for the poor people that have to eat it, so thought I would find him some recipes at least I can give him a hand to practice; thanks for the link I wil go have a look now

cookessentials, Jun 23, 1:39am
Well, he wont go wrong with buttermilk scones, but of course, he will need buttermilk for that. The buttermilk scones turn out every time. The buttermilk keeps them very moist and they are usually still nice the following day.
Buttermilk Scones
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

katalin2, Aug 29, 11:03pm
Idiot Proof Scones works every time- have passed this on to so many young people I work with who need simple recipes to start off.