Basic scone recipes plz, that rise well

becka4, Jul 25, 12:30am
im a student and would love a basic recipe for scones as i love them but cant afford cafe prises for them.

cherstu, Jul 25, 12:37am
Theres a recipe in here somewhere for 'idiot proof scones' have a search, will try and find it for you :)

firemansgirl, Jul 25, 1:43am
Simple and easy are lemonade scones. Put lemonade scones into keyword on lefthandside. Brings up several postings. I've made LOADS of these.

ferita, Jul 25, 4:42am
Rub butter into flour, as a pinch of salt and then stir in milk to form a sticky dough. Put the dough onto a floured bench and move it into rectangle shape about 4cm thick and cut up into squares. Brush with milk and bake in a hot oven (200) till cooked.

It is important not to knead the dough. The dough may look terrible but dont worry, the less you do to the dough the better it will rise and turn out.

lilyfield, Jul 25, 5:29am
ferita- you forgot the BP

toadfish, Jul 25, 5:30am
Idiot proof Scones.

Melt 50gms butter in a microwave jug. Let cool a little and break 1 egg into it and top up with milk to = approx 1 3/4 cups liquid.
Mix well with a fork.

Add by mixing with a knife to 3 large cups self raising flour. (or 3 Cups of plain & 3 tsps B Powder)

Bake 230 for 10 mins. You can add a bit of sugar and fruit or cheese or whatever you feel like.

Thats the original recipe... a couple of twists i do which were delicious is... .
1. Finely dice bacon & onion and cook in the 50gms of butter before adding egg & milk... and
2. once i used 50gms of garlic butter to cook the onion and bacon in... .

worrit, Jul 25, 5:48am
Idiot proof scones... ... ... . another twist... ... . . drop spoonfuls into muffintins. So quick and easy and taste the same. The above mixture makes 12.

ferita, Nov 28, 5:49pm
Yeah that should be self raising flour btw :)