Topping for matchsticks

danclan, Jul 21, 8:45am
evening all wondering if anyone would know the what the topping was for these havnt made them for years all the ones if found on the net dont have the toppingthanks

dbab, Jul 21, 8:57am
Matchsticks are...????

danclan, Jul 21, 9:03am
pastry filled with jam andcream

lindylambchops1, Jul 21, 9:19am
Strike a light!Sorry I have no idea.

245sam, Jul 21, 10:07am
danclan, I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the same thing as you are but I vaguely recall a similar item with an egg white based/'runny' meringue type mixture spread over, then baked on the pastry - I have never made, nor can I recall ever eating them but they're an item that as I 'said' I vaguely recall seeing at/in bakeries 'ages' ago.:-))

nfh1, Jul 21, 10:09am
LOL - I was wondering how people made matches!You definitely live and learn.

korbo, Jul 21, 10:12am
i am sure i saw these in a cafe not long ago, and they were filled with jam and cream and pink icing on top. I double looked at the name of them, as just thought what a strange name to call these things......
My great aunt used to make a kinda shortbread base, chopped almonds on top then a runny merangue that was crunchy. have no idea how or what they were called, but right now, i would love some.....anyone ????

elliehen, Jul 21, 10:17am
Couldn't resist a Google and this was the top link, but there were lots more.Put in "Matchsticks recipe".

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Cream-and-Jam-Matchsticks-L6361.html

245sam, Jul 21, 10:19am
korbo, do you think the following are what your great aunt made?

Aunt Daisy's ALMOND FINGERS
4oz flour
¼ tsp baking powder
pinch salt
2oz butter
4oz sugar
1¼oz ground almonds
egg yolk, beaten

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt.Rub in the butter.Add the sugar and ground almonds, and mix with beaten egg yolk to a stiff paste.Roll out oblong on a floured board.
Beat egg white and 2oz icing sugar.Spread over the paste, then sprinkle on 1oz chopped almonds.Cut into fingers and bake on a greased tray, moderate oven for 10-15 minutes.:-))

fifie, Jul 21, 10:24am
Korbo the shortbread base, chopped almonds on top and crunchy meringue toppingi make are called almond fingers very yummy, not sure about the ones filled with jam and cream and pink icing someone may know.

danclan, Jul 21, 5:54pm
thanks very much i knew egg white was usedgood start to the morning

korbo, Jul 21, 7:15pm
ohhh, thank you for posting the recipe, that is it....will give it a try tomorrow. I can just see it and taste them. Aunt cut them into fingers......thanks again. wonderful info that is gained on here is fantastic.