Pickled Pork

radman23, Jul 15, 3:20am
I brought some pickled pork today and i have no idea how to cook it and what to have with it any Ideas

redback2, Jul 15, 3:30am
someone the other day asked the same thing and in general most said boiling it but the one i had i put in to a large v/pac bag with honey and a bit of herbs left for two days and cold smoked for 8 hr and then sliced like ham steak and awesome.

otterhound, Jul 15, 5:27am
Send it my way!Seriously though, we have it quite a lot - put it in a pot big enough to cover it with cold water, add couple of roughly sliced carrots, sliced onion, few black peppercorns, couple of whole cloves (doesn't matter if you don't have these) few stalks of parsely (again, optional) and 3 tbls wine vinegar (white vinegar will do fine).Bring to simmering point, skim off any scum that may appear, then cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.This is for about 1.5 kg pickled pork.When cooked the bones should just slide out of it.We eat it like corned silverside, with mashed potatoes and cabbage and carrots.Just love the stuff!

jessie981, Jul 15, 6:23am
I've always boiled but if you go into the lefthand message board & under keyword put pickled pork. Under date posted put anytime. Hints there.

griffo4, Jul 15, 7:57am
l make up equal quantities of honey and mustard and brush it all over the pork and then wrap it in tinfoil and bake at 150C for 2hrs and that is the best pickled pork l have tasted and l hate mustard but you can't taste it
l used to do the boiling thing but not anymore with this recipe
This recipe was one l got off here a couple of years ago and it is really good

jag5, Jul 15, 10:25am
Pop it in a casserole dish with a little water on low temp for a few hours....so delicious...like a delicate ham....we love it with mashed potatoes and leeks in white sauce

mercury14, Jul 16, 10:31am
Poke some holes (about half a dozen in a 2kg piece) in it with a small sharp knife and poke peeled garlic in till they disappear, then simmer till cooked. Ab fab,yum. I slice the larger pieces of garlic lengthwise.

whiskey13, Jul 16, 10:47am
I do my pickled pork in a pressure cooker, just like a corned silverside. Nice done in the slowcooker too.
We only have pickled pork when we have pigs to go down.(if you get my drift)

lythande1, Jul 16, 8:28pm
+1

Bit too squishy boiled.

maximus44, Jul 16, 8:43pm
Crockpot does a good job.

market1, Aug 7, 7:47am
Can you cook pickled pork in one of those benchtop convection ovens!