Countdown Fish Pie

kiwifidget, Jul 5, 8:07am
Did that guy really say he puts beaten eggs in his mashed potato pie topping?

245sam, Jul 5, 8:18am
kiwifidget, yes, the mashed potato pie topping does have an egg in it - here's the recipe.....

SMOKED FISH PIE
Ingredients
1kg floury potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
3 tbsp butter
½ cup milk
salt and pepper to season
1 egg, beaten
enough savoury short pastry to line your pie dish

White Sauce:
75g butter
¼ cup plain flour
2½ cups milk
1 bay leaf
1 medium onion, finely diced
700g smoked fish, skin and bone removed, cut into chunks
1 tbsp flour to coat fish

Method
Boil the potatoes until cooked, then drain and mash with the first measure of butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool. When cool, mash in the beaten egg and set aside.
Line the pie dish with the savoury short pastry and set aside.
Make a white sauce by heating the 75g of butter in a saucepan then adding the ¼ cup of flour. Combine with a wooden spoon and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Add the milk, bay leaf and onion and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Season well with salt and pepper then set aside to cool. Once cooled remove bay leaf. Toss the fish with the tablespoon of flour to coat then add to the white sauce. Place the fish and white sauce into the pastry and cover with the mashed potato.
Bake the pie in a preheated 175°C oven for 45 minutes, then let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 4.:-))

From:-http://www.countdown.co.nz/15392/Countdown-Tip/pies

beaker59, Jul 5, 11:41am
I think I'll try the egg in the potato (I took a double take there too) the rest I will stick to what I do now that recipe looks very ordinary for the pie filling.

elliehen, Jul 5, 11:46am
Richard Till did say to make sure the potato was cooled before adding the egg or the egg would start to cook with the heat of the potato.

ribzuba, Jul 5, 11:47am
i always add egg when i make a piped mash :D it gives it a little colour too!

guest, Apr 2, 9:55am
You're the gertaest! JMHO