Vegetarian loaf recipe wanted

Page 1 / 2
stells3, Jun 19, 1:12am
Looking for ideas for a really tasty loaf to make for dinner tonight.Something that is not full of cheese or lots of oil / fat.Has anyone got a favourite recipe they can share please?

pickles7, Jun 19, 1:30am
Vegetarian Nut Loaf
Preheat oven to 190 deg c, prepare a loaf tin, line it with baking paper.
Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pan, gently cook for 10 minutes ;
1 ch onion
1 thin sliced leek
2 sticks of celery
225 grams of sl. mushrooms
2 crushed garlic cloves
Add
425 gram can of rinsed and drained lentils
1 cup of mixed nuts [ hazelnuts, cashew, almonds, finely chopped
50 grams of flour
50 grams of vegan, grated cheese
1 medium egg [ or egg substitute ]
salt and pepper
a handful of chopped mixed fresh herbs.
bake 50 - 60 minutes, or untill it is cooked
I made this for my Daughter In-law, it was divine.
Nice cold as well

stells3, Jun 19, 2:14am
Thnak you pickles7.That sounds devine.

stells3, Jun 19, 4:55am
In the oven and looking good.Has made a huge loaf - think we'll be eating it for a while this week.Just the 2 of us.:-)

jbsouthland, Jun 19, 4:59am
Thank you will be trying it soon.

petal1955, Jun 19, 9:22am
Carrot & Mushroom Loaf

Serves 4
1 medium onion
1-2 cloves of garlic
2 Tbsp oil or butter
200gr mushroom
1 tsp basil
¼ tsp thyme
½ tsp salt
Black pepper
3 cups grated carrot (400grms)
½ dry bread crumbs
½ cup grated cheese
½ cup milk
2 eggs
2 Tbsp dry breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp grated cheese
Paprika
Pre heat oven to 180 Degrees C
Finely chopped the onion and garlic, then cook in the oil or butter until the onion is soft.Add the sliced mushrooms and continue to cook until these have softened.

Transfer the cooked onion and mushroom mixture to a medium sized bowl and then add the next 9 ingredients.Mix together well, then pour into a well greased loaf tin. Line long side and bottom with a strip of baking paper, if you think it could stick). Or form a loaf shape and place on baking paper lined dishSprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs and cheese and dust lightly with paprika.

Cover pan with foil and bake at 180 deg C for 30 minutes, then uncover and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the centre is firm when pressed.

emmapear, Jun 19, 10:30am

pickles7, Jun 19, 11:15am
Chocolate is the answer and I dont give a damn about the question!

lol. love it.

antoniab, Jun 19, 8:51pm
Mmmm I make this also - its delish!

stells3, Jun 19, 9:01pm
Delicious.Another great keeper.That Carrot and Mushroom Loaf looks tasty as well.Will make that next time I feel like a vegetarian meal.

stells3, Jun 20, 1:12am
Looking for ideas for a really tasty loaf to make for dinner tonight.Something that is not full of cheese or lots of oil / fat.Has anyone got a favourite recipe they can share please!

stells3, Jun 20, 4:55am
In the oven and looking good.Has made a huge loaf - think we'll be eating it for a while this week.Just the 2 of us.:-)

jbsouthland, Jun 20, 5:29am
Yum have made this for our tea...been picking at it as you do...delish !

jbsouthland, Jun 21, 5:29am
Yum have made this for our tea.been picking at it as you do.delish !

stells3, Jun 29, 2:08am
I'm making it for our dinner tonight.Mushrooms on special at P&S for $7.99.Couldn't resist buying them. So looking forward to it.

stells3, Jun 30, 2:08am
I'm making it for our dinner tonight.Mushrooms on special at P&S for $7.99.Couldn't resist buying them. So looking forward to it.

calista, Jun 30, 7:54am
I haven't made this but an English friend posted it in an on-line community I belong to and I re-discovered it when looking through my recipes

parsnip and cashew nut loaf

It's a great recipe - I love it. It's from Sarah Brown's Vegetarian kitchen.
1 tbs oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
8ozs cashew nuts
4ozs breadcrumbs
1 egg
3 medium parsnips, cooked and mashed with a little butter
1 teas fresh rosemary or half a teaspoon dried
1 teas fresh thyme or half a teas dried
1 teas yeast extract
quarter pint hot water or stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1oz butter
8ozs mushrooms, chopped
butter for greasing tin
Preheat oven to 350F
Heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic until soft.
Grind the cashew nuts, then mix with the breadcrumbs.
Beat the egg and add it to the dry ingredients, then mix in the mashed parsnips and herbs.
Add the fried onion, being sure to scrape the pan so that all the juices go in as nut roasts can sometimes be a bit dry
Dissolve the yeast extract in hot water or stock and add to the other ingredients.
Season well.
Melt the butter in the frying pan and sauté the chopped mushrooms until soft.
Grease a 2lb loaf tin with butter, then press in half the nut mixture.
Cover with a layer of mushrooms and top with the rest of the nut mixture.
Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
When cooked, remove the loaf from the oven and let it stand for 10 minutes before turning it out. Serve hot or cold.

I haven't made this but an English friend posted it in an on-line community I belong to and I re-discovered it when looking through my recipes

moore79, Jun 30, 9:23am
Ingredients:

1/2 cup cashews
2 TB olive oil
One onion, diced
One large garlic clove, minced
One large carrot, peeled and grated
Two celery ribs, diced
2 cups cooked lentils
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 to 1/2 cup vegetable broth, as needed
2 TB soy flour
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1 tsp. dried basil
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. ground cumin
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 TB soy sauce

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350º. Spray a loaf pan or 8x8 square baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside (an 8x8 pan makes a crisper loaf).

Grind the cashews into a coarse meal using a food processor or spice/coffee grinder. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

Sauté any vegetables you've chosen in the olive oil until soft. Add to the large mixing bowl along with all the remaining ingredients. Mix and mash together well, adding only as much liquid as needed to create a soft, moist loaf that holds together and is not runny (you may not need to add any liquid if the grains and protein are very moist). Add more binder/carbohydrate as needed if the loaf seems too wet.

Press mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until cooked through.

Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then turn out onto a plate or platter and slice. Serve with potatoes, vegetables, and vegetarian gravy, if desired.

Cold leftover slices of make a great sandwich filling.

By http://www.veganlunchbox.com/cgi/loaf_recipe.cgi

Thanks EmmaPear!

calista, Jul 1, 7:54am

parsnip and cashew nut loaf

It's a great recipe - I love it. It's from Sarah Brown's Vegetarian kitchen.
1 tbs oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
8ozs cashew nuts
4ozs breadcrumbs
1 egg
3 medium parsnips, cooked and mashed with a little butter
1 teas fresh rosemary or half a teaspoon dried
1 teas fresh thyme or half a teas dried
1 teas yeast extract
quarter pint hot water or stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1oz butter
8ozs mushrooms, chopped
butter for greasing tin
Preheat oven to 350F
Heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic until soft.
Grind the cashew nuts, then mix with the breadcrumbs.
Beat the egg and add it to the dry ingredients, then mix in the mashed parsnips and herbs.
Add the fried onion, being sure to scrape the pan so that all the juices go in as nut roasts can sometimes be a bit dry
Dissolve the yeast extract in hot water or stock and add to the other ingredients.
Season well.
Melt the butter in the frying pan and sauté the chopped mushrooms until soft.
Grease a 2lb loaf tin with butter, then press in half the nut mixture.
Cover with a layer of mushrooms and top with the rest of the nut mixture.
Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
When cooked, remove the loaf from the oven and let it stand for 10 minutes before turning it out. Serve hot or cold.

moore79, Jul 1, 9:23am
Ingredients:

1/2 cup cashews
2 TB olive oil
One onion, diced
One large garlic clove, minced
One large carrot, peeled and grated
Two celery ribs, diced
2 cups cooked lentils
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 to 1/2 cup vegetable broth, as needed
2 TB soy flour
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1 tsp. dried basil
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. ground cumin
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 TB soy sauce

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350º. Spray a loaf pan or 8x8 square baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside (an 8x8 pan makes a crisper loaf).

Grind the cashews into a coarse meal using a food processor or spice/coffee grinder. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

Sauté any vegetables you've chosen in the olive oil until soft. Add to the large mixing bowl along with all the remaining ingredients. Mix and mash together well, adding only as much liquid as needed to create a soft, moist loaf that holds together and is not runny (you may not need to add any liquid if the grains and protein are very moist). Add more binder/carbohydrate as needed if the loaf seems too wet.

Press mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until cooked through.

Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then turn out onto a plate or platter and slice. Serve with potatoes, vegetables, and vegetarian gravy, if desired.

Cold leftover slices of make a great sandwich filling.

By http://www.veganlunchbox.com/cgi/loaf_recipe.cgi

Thanks EmmaPear!

calista, Jul 1, 1:28pm
Found this one too.Again, I haven't made it but I am collecting vege loaf recipes I can freeze.Trying to get some variety in my cooking.

Lentil and Rice loaf
• Ingredients
• 1 cup lentils
• 1/2 cup brown rice
• 1/2 cup wild rice
• 3 cups vegetable broth (more or less)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 red onion
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 large carrot, shredded
• 1/2 bunch broccoli, chopped small and steamed
• 1/2 cup cashews, roasted
• basil
• salt and pepper
Directions:
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 2 hrs
1.Put lentils, brown and wild rice and veggie broth in a covered pan. Get it boiling on a higher heat and then turn down to low and cook until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed, but the result is still somewhat wet and mushy, not dry. This will be approximately an hour. I usually watch this as it's cooking and add more broth as needed.
2 While lentils and rice are cooking, heat oil in a separate pan and saute onions, garlic and carrot. Add steamed broccoli, cook another minute and then season with basil, salt and pepper to taste. This will be mixed with the other ingredients, so you'll want to be a bit generous with the spices.
3 Add the lentil/rice mixture to the vegetable mixture when both are done. Add cashews. Mix everything together well.
4 Put mixture into a greased loaf pan.
5 Bake at 350 for 30 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.
6 Serve with Cashew Gravy.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/lentil-and-wild-rice-loaf-265288#ixzz1QrKYw1iu

calista, Jul 1, 1:52pm
Left it too late to edit but there are other recipes at food com

blt10, Jul 2, 2:53am
These look good.

calista, Jul 2, 3:37am
I hope so blt.I'm planning on making them in the 8 cup mini loaf tins so I don't have to plough through a big loaf. Cooking for one can be a challenge.

calista, Jul 2, 1:28pm
Found this one too.Again, I haven't made it but I am collecting vege loaf recipes I can freeze.Trying to get some variety in my cooking.

Lentil and Rice loaf
• Ingredients
• 1 cup lentils
• 1/2 cup brown rice
• 1/2 cup wild rice
• 3 cups vegetable broth (more or less)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 red onion
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 large carrot, shredded
• 1/2 bunch broccoli, chopped small and steamed
• 1/2 cup cashews, roasted
• basil
• salt and pepper
Directions:
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 2 hrs
1.Put lentils, brown and wild rice and veggie broth in a covered pan. Get it boiling on a higher heat and then turn down to low and cook until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed, but the result is still somewhat wet and mushy, not dry. This will be approximately an hour. I usually watch this as it's cooking and add more broth as needed.
2 While lentils and rice are cooking, heat oil in a separate pan and saute onions, garlic and carrot. Add steamed broccoli, cook another minute and then season with basil, salt and pepper to taste. This will be mixed with the other ingredients, so you'll want to be a bit generous with the spices.
3 Add the lentil/rice mixture to the vegetable mixture when both are done. Add cashews. Mix everything together well.
4 Put mixture into a greased loaf pan.
5 Bake at 350 for 30 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.
6 Serve with Cashew Gravy.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/lentil-and-wild-rice-loaf-265288#ixzz1QrKYw1iu