Wtd: heavy cheese loaf recipe....

purplegoanna, Oct 18, 10:34pm
im after a really heavy cheesey scone/bread type loaf recipe that i can cut and serve on a platter with some cut meat & pickle for a function this weekend, i dont want to go down the bread/yeast route so it dosnt matter it it comes out quite heavy...maybe one with seeds and/or cottage cheese? TIA

uli, Oct 18, 10:59pm
Les Fougeres Cheese Biscuits

1/2 pound (454 g) butter, softened
1/2 pound (227 g) sharp cheddar, grated
2 cups (500 mL) flour
2 teaspoons (10 mL) sugar
1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
1 teaspoon (5 mL) freshly cracked black peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) cayenne
3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped toasted pecans
2 cups (500 mL) Rice Krispies

1. In the bowl of a food processor, fitted with the stainless steel knife, add flour, sugar, salt and cayenne.Pulse to combine.
2.Add butter and pulse about 10-15 times until mixture resembles a coarse meal.Add cheddar, pecans and rice krispies and process breifly, about 30 seconds until crumbly.
3.Dump dough out onto counter, divide in half and and form each half of dough into sausage shape. Roll each log in in wax paper.
4. Chill.
5. Slice into 1/4 inch rounds and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
6. Bake in a preheated 350°F (190°C) oven until golden, about 15 minutes.

Note: These biscuits can be successfully frozen in the sausage shape and simply sliced and baked when desired.

http://saltandserenity.com/2010/08/13/les-fougeres-cheese-biscuits/

purplegoanna, Oct 18, 11:28pm
ooh yummo thanks heaps uli they look devine i found this in my travels http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/2008/07/zucchini-bread-with-roasted-red-peppers.html might have to make both now..

fauna1, Oct 19, 6:43pm
Sounds a good recipe, but why different weights for butter and cheese,450 gms butter? thinking of trying them with GF flour

245sam, Oct 19, 8:57pm
Good point fauna1, ½ lb of .....whatever = 227g and never 454g which of course = 1 lb.:-))

cookessentials, Oct 19, 9:29pm
maybe there was a mixup with the copy and paste there.
You say you want a bread #1? I have a lovely spinach and feta plait recipe at home if wanted? as well as a lovely Gruyere bread recipe.

uli, Jun 11, 6:04pm
That is why I gave the link as well as the recipe - it is wrong on the website :)