Easy meat loaf recipe

vixen09, Jul 9, 12:58am
I want to make meatloaf for the first time tonight and dont have sausage meat is there a recipe I can use that doesnt need sausage meat ?

thanks in advance

vixen09, Jul 9, 12:58am
I have precooked sausages and mince if that helps

vintagekitty, Jul 9, 1:01am
i'd just remove the casings from the sausage's and use the susage meat

motorbo, Jul 9, 1:02am
i have never used sausage meat in mine, always just beef mince, finely chopped onion, grated carrot and courgette, bit of garlic and a splosh of worchester and tomatoe sauce, and bake, when its about 1/2 from being cooked i pour over a mix of golden syryp/tomatoe sauce/worcester sauce, yumo topping my mum used to do! !

vixen09, Jul 9, 1:03am
yum motorbo that sounds nice might try that how much of everything am i meant to use?

fisher, Jul 9, 1:41am
Basic Meatloaf
Preheat oven to 180 cCan use BBQ sauce as the topping.
Take 500gm mince and add a tube of sausage meat or remove sausage meat from all casings in your case. . Add 2 eggs. . 1 cup flour. . grated carrot. . grated potato and/or kumara . . 1 diced onion... Add a squirt of tomato saucesquirt soy sauce, pinch or 2of salt. . 2 tbsp parsley and mix all together...
Method:
Mix all loaf ingredients together with wet hands and place into a large loaf tin. . Bake 30 mins at 180*C.
Remove & drain excess fat, pour pre-made sauce over and cook further 45 mins, basting while cooking...

fisher, Jul 9, 1:43am
Meatloaf Premade Sauce
Easy Mix:
1/4 cup ketchup. . 1/4 cup brown sugar . . 2 tsp hot english mustard. .
Hard Mix:
1/2 cup water. . 1/4 cup brown sugar. . 1/4 cup tomato sauce. . 2 tbsp vinegar. . 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce. . 2 Tbsp lemon juice. .
1 small tsp coffee. . 2 tbsp butter. .
Bring to boil and boil for 5 mins while stirring... keep an eye on it. .

kay141, Jul 9, 1:54am
Fisher, Your recipe is great but she has pre-cooked sausages. I'm sure that would have a completely different effect.

vixen09, Jul 9, 1:58am
do you think thiswould work with precooked sausages?

fisher, Jul 9, 2:00am
Cheers Kay... misread by me. . yes, they would not have the same gooeyness as normal sausages. . lol . . :}
Vixen . . you may have to go to the shops or have PRE-cooked saussies
for dinner:}. . Maybe make rissoles from the mince...
(See my recipe other thread... )
Maybe devilled sausages with apple and some curry...

vixen09, Jul 9, 2:07am
so there is no way to make meatloaf without sausages?

am sick of all other things I normally make with mince and dont feel like normal sausages

valentino, Jul 9, 2:20am
I normally do rissoles without the sausage meat and do some with.

Can imagine doing it all in one loaf like, however one would need to add say a couple of eggs, chopped onion, tablespoon plus of beef tea (no salt required with beef tea - can use marmite instead) and mix all together with bare hands into a loaf dish and bake, comes out lovely everytime.

Eggs do help in holding it together otherwise could be a bit crumbly, sausage meat definately works as such hence why sausage meat is included in most meatloaf recipes.

One could if wish add some fine breadcrumbs into the mix if one wishes.

motorbo, Jul 9, 2:40am
[hi vixen, i dont really measure, you can use some egg and breadcrumbs to bind and make it go further if you want to, you could probably go on others measurements, its the topping that makes it divine and that is about equal parts of all so 1/4 cup of each mixed up and poured over

quote=vixen09]yum motorbo that sounds nice might try that how much of everything am i meant to use? [/quote]

vixen09, Jul 9, 2:49am
thanks will give that a try tonight

fisher, Jul 9, 2:50am
Vixen what about this one. .
Cottage Cheese Meat Loaf... ... Serve hot or cold.
Ingredients:
500g mince. . 1 tbsp prepared mustard. . 1/2 cup rolled oats. . 1/4 cup tomato sauce. . 3/4 tsp salt. . 1/4 tsp pepper. . 1 lightly beaten egg. . 1 tbsp finely chopped onion. . 1 cup (250g pottle) cottage cheese... 1/4 cup parmesan cheese...
Method:
Combine all the ingredients, except the parmesan cheese. Press the mixture into a greased loaf tin. . . Bake at 180°C for 1 hour.
Remove from the oven and top with the parmesan cheese... Return to the oven for 10 minutes...
Remove from oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes - for ease of cutting...

vixen09, Jul 9, 2:53am
that also sounds yummy fisher

fisher, Jul 9, 2:53am
or this one... Lemon Meat Loaf Balls... not a sausage in sight :}
Preheat oven to 175 c
Ingredients:
750g beef mince. . 1/4 cup lemon juice. . 1/2 cup water. . 1 egg, beaten. . 4 slices day-old bread, torn into small pieces. . 1/4 cup chopped onion. . 2 tsp salt. . 1/2 cup tomato sauce. . 1/3 cup brown sugar. . 1 tsp mustard powder. . 1/4 dash ground allspice. . 1/4 tsp ground cloves. . 6 slices lemon. .
Method:... Grease baking dish
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, lemon juice, water, egg, bread, onion and salt until well blended.
Shape into 6 individual loaves - or large balls... Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven while you prepare the topping...
In a small bowl, stir together the tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard powder, allspice and cloves... Spoon the sauce over the loaves...
Top each one with a slice of lemon... Return to the oven, and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until cooked through. .

fisher, Jul 9, 2:56am
Can reduced the amount of mince, lemon juice and water but leave the rest as is for the recipe. . if you only have 500g mince. .

boxsters3, Jul 11, 5:41am
(I haven't tried it but) Food in a Minute recipe: Saucy Meatloafhas

500g lean beef mince; 1/2 cup Tomato Ketchup; 1 cup Frozen Rainbow Mix veges, roughly chopped;1 egg ; 1 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
2. In a bowl mix together mince, Ketchup, chopped Rainbow Mix, egg and breadcrumbs. Press into loaf tin.
3. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until meatloaf is cooked thoroughly. Remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes before cutting.

http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/recipe_default. aspx? r
ecipeid=706

jaybee2003, Oct 18, 10:58am
You know - if you have mince, particularly if it isn't 'premium aka low fat' mince, if you have a few slices of white bread, cold water and a kitchen whizz, you could make your own almost identical to the commercially produced sausagemeat.

Sausagemeat is made up of roughly 50/50 meat scraps and fat [which I daresay would be close to the amount of fat in non premium mincemeat? ], fresh breadcrumbs, seasonings - and water. A kitchen whizz won't produce the identical texture, but if pulsed carefully enough with enough water added, it gets pretty close.