Homestead Chicken recipes

mas45, Mar 17, 10:49pm
x3
Hi all, Does anyone have the recipes for the coatings that went on the homestead chicken extras, the potatoes, mushrooms and sweetbreads. I've just been given a whole lot of button mushrooms and just remember how yummy they where!

margyr, Mar 18, 1:36am
haha, just been reading the other thread, no spring chicken here, but never heard of homestead chicken, one of the bakeries i worked in during the 80's did Chester Chicken, which was yummy, the coating was just flour and a bag of secret spices, mostly garlic, pepper and salt, we had the chicken in water and straight from the water into the flour mix, then into the machine that was abit like a deep fryer pressure cooker. I do my chicken at home similar but from the flour either into the oven or my deep fryer. I googled crumbed mushrooms and there were heaps of ideas there. Good luck.

fisher, Mar 18, 2:09am
x1
Mas45. . try this. . Buy some "coat and cook" and twist the stalks out and save for chopping up into a green salad. . dip the button mushrooms into water and into the "coat and cook". .
Now Homestead mushrooms were deep fried in a pressure cooker and we dont have that equipment available so I do the next best thing...
I place a pinch or two of Masterfoods onion salt into the head and a drizzle of olive oil. . these are placed on an oven slide and into the oven to be grilled. . the olive oil cooks them from the inside out...
Yummy and scrumy and so quick and easy to do... keep an eye on them. . sorry, not the real thing but as good as it gets for me... :}
You could try them "quickly" deep fried in 190c hot oil in a deep fryer. . but watch the water content for splattering oil... ...

mas45, Mar 18, 3:02am
Thanks... I just nipped into town and bought the makings for an onion and poppyseed tart and also clotted cream and home made crumpets... oh yeah sorry I sidetrack myself so easily. An elderly lady in town said to mix 50/50 with white and wholemeal flour and a teaspoon of green herb stock and water the mushies dip in the mixture and deep fry. I'll give it a go and report back

theanimal1, Mar 18, 3:17am
x4
2 cups Flour 1 Tablespoon celery salt 2 Tablespoons dry mustard 2 Tablespoons garlic powder 1/2 tsp Thyme 1/2 tsp oregano 2 Tablespoons salt 1 Tablespoon pepper 4 Tablespoons Paprika 1 tsp ginger 1/2 tsp Sweet Basil 1 Tablespoon Five Spice Sift together - Store in jar!

Chicken Like the Colonel's
-----ELEVEN SECRET SPICES----- 1 tablespoon Rosemary 1 tablespoon Oregano leaves 1 tablespoon Powdered sage 1 teaspoon Powdered ginger 1 teaspoon Marjoram 1 1/2 teaspoons Thyme 3 tablespoons Packed brown sugar 3 tablespoons Dry minced parsely 1 teaspoon Pepper 1 tablespoon Paprika 2 tablespoons Garlic salt 2 tablespoons Onion salt 2 tablespoons Powder chicken bouillon* 1 package Lipton tomato cup-a-soup mix * or 4 cubes mashed There are actually 11 spices in the above combination, but an additional 3 ingredients were necessary to derive that special flavor. Place all ingredients in blender for 3-4 minutes to pulverise, or rub through a fine strainer. Store in an airtight container so it will not lose potency. Makes about 3/4 cup. To use with flour: Add 1 oz. mix to a cup of flour for coating chicken.

mas45, Mar 18, 3:50am
x1
Hi, the second one's the Colonels is the first one Homesteads?

guest_ronnie0830, May 14, 11:11pm
x3
home stead chickens, mushrooms , sweetbreads and chicken livers were never pressure cooked they were in a deep fryer filled with sunflower oil,they were first dipped in milk then rolled in a flour mixture of different spices. this was shaken off then they were deep fried at 170 degrees for about three minutes. i still rember the flouver it was delish. The chicken was pressure cooked and the equivelient of 5 chickens was done in 18 minutes. it was salted with a mixture of celery salt and papricka and cajun seasoning which i often yearn for today with their world famous roast potatoes

mick, Nov 27, 5:57am
x1
we would eat those potatoes on the way home from school. went lookin for the recipe on this site. never be able to make the seasoning without help

guest, Jun 1, 11:26am
x1
Loved homestead chicken and all its sides of coated mushrooms,sweetbreads and of coarse those amazing potatoes!! Why did it close its stores??

guest, Dec 22, 10:36pm
Homestead was sold to KFC.
Homestead was relaunched as Chicken Express with exact same recipe.
Aust. Stores all closed now but still going in Fiji.