Making breadcrumbs question

wildflower, Jun 11, 2:54am
I have half a loaf of homemade bread that's a bit stale.I know you dry it out in the oven but do you then keep it in an airtight container or freeze it for later use?

harrislucinda, Jun 11, 3:13am
putin airtightcontainer <butmostbreadcrumbsonlylastafewweeksanyway

245sam, Jun 11, 3:53am
IMO it depends on your intended use for the breadcrumbs.....

(a) If you would prefer to not dry the bread/breadcrumbs in the oven or by any other means, you could freeze them and then use them for when 'fresh' breadcrumbs are needede.g. stuffings, etc.
(b) If you are likely to have the most use for dried breadcrumbs (for coatings, etc), then IMO once they are dried, provided they are stored in an airtight container and kept dry at all times, they will keep for ages. I have successfully kept well-dried breadcrumbs in an airtight cake tin in the bottom of our cylinder cupboard for months.

Hope that helps.:-))

wildflower, Jun 11, 4:09am
It does, much thanks for that!

cottagerose, Jun 11, 4:30am
I keep the top and bottom crusts from my loaves of bread in the freezer and when I have enough I crumb them in my wizz then freeze in a snaplock bag and I always have breadcrumbs on hand.
Also i make stuffing, shape into a cylinder shapes and just pull out for my roast chickens and thaw in microwave. That way Im not having to make a mess to make ONE stuffing each time I need one

wildflower, Jun 12, 2:54am
I have half a loaf of homemade bread that's a bit stale.I know you dry it out in the oven but do you then keep it in an airtight container or freeze it for later use!

245sam, Jun 12, 3:53am
IMO it depends on your intended use for the breadcrumbs.

(a) If you would prefer to not dry the bread/breadcrumbs in the oven or by any other means, you could freeze them and then use them for when 'fresh' breadcrumbs are needede.g. stuffings, etc.
(b) If you are likely to have the most use for dried breadcrumbs (for coatings, etc), then IMO once they are dried, provided they are stored in an airtight container and kept dry at all times, they will keep for ages. I have successfully kept well-dried breadcrumbs in an airtight cake tin in the bottom of our cylinder cupboard for months.

Hope that helps.:-))