River Cottage Everyday breadcrumbs???

spot20, May 11, 10:09pm
Hugh made breadcrumbs with leftovers and he baked them in the oven - did anyone catch if he put anything with them? and how long and at what temp? Thanks muchly

donnabeth, May 11, 10:11pm
I didn't see it but if you have some Prenzel Tuscan oil, mix a little of that through the crumbs before drying them in the oven-it adds a delicious zingy flavour.

cgvl, May 12, 12:32am
think it was 2 hours in a low oven, and I didn't notice if he put anything else in.

beaker59, May 12, 12:37am
no he didn't add anything though did rest them for a hour or two before whizzing them up so any moisture would even out. Exactly what I have been doing for years I do separate out the sourdough bread though as its breadcrumbs have a stronger flavour more suited to meat like making crumbed shnitzel or the stuffing I made yesterday for my roast wild ducks.

lizab, May 12, 2:59am
How are you enjoying the duck shooting season beaker? Have you bagged many ducks yet? Hubby got his 6 on opening morning and he got one last night!

beaker59, May 12, 4:19am
Only got 3 over the weekend and missed dozens (it is my first season though) but also got 2 rabbits and a goat a nice young Nanny which has turned out delishious. Had roast duck last night and cooking rabbit pies today. Will try to get out in the weekend somewhere though not easy living in Auckland.

lizab, May 12, 6:41am
sounds like you've been doing pretty good without the duck shooting!! I remembered reading on another thread a while ago that you were having your first go at the ducks. Make the most of it! The season and the limit seem to get less each year!!

rainrain1, May 12, 8:22pm
Living in the country I always make my own breadcrumbs.He had large chunks of bread, I just use left over sliced which is a lot quicker. Break into pieces and bake in slow to moderate oven, You have to watch so as not to burn them.you can still use large chunks like he did and a slower oven, but I am always in a hurry for mine.I don't think he had anything else in with the bread in the oven, but you can add herbs etc after they are baked and crumbled.Great for schnitzel, and crumbing chop etc, as well as sprinkling over baked food.I must admit his lovely chunky bread would have been nicer than everyday bread :-)

spot20, May 12, 8:57pm
yeah i loved the pasta with breadcrumbs - looked really good!

spot20, May 12, 10:09pm
Hugh made breadcrumbs with leftovers and he baked them in the oven - did anyone catch if he put anything with them! and how long and at what temp! Thanks muchly

donnabeth, May 12, 10:11pm
I didn't see it but if you have some Prenzel Tuscan oil, mix a little of that through the crumbs before drying them in the oven-it adds a delicious zingy flavour.

cgvl, May 13, 12:32am
think it was 2 hours in a low oven, and I didn't notice if he put anything else in.

beaker59, May 13, 12:37am
no he didn't add anything though did rest them for a hour or two before whizzing them up so any moisture would even out. Exactly what I have been doing for years I do separate out the sourdough bread though as its breadcrumbs have a stronger flavour more suited to meat like making crumbed shnitzel or the stuffing I made yesterday for my roast wild ducks.

lizab, May 13, 2:59am
How are you enjoying the duck shooting season beaker! Have you bagged many ducks yet! Hubby got his 6 on opening morning and he got one last night!

lizab, May 13, 6:41am
sounds like you've been doing pretty good without the duck shooting! I remembered reading on another thread a while ago that you were having your first go at the ducks. Make the most of it! The season and the limit seem to get less each year!

helsbelsnz, May 13, 9:27am
I made breadcrumbs today after making biscuits - just tore the bread into chunks, put it in the oven and turned the oven off.Whizzed it up several hours later when I remembered it was there.It dries out nicely without burning or any attention.

rainrain1, May 13, 8:22pm
Living in the country I always make my own breadcrumbs.He had large chunks of bread, I just use left over sliced which is a lot quicker. Break into pieces and bake in slow to moderate oven, You have to watch so as not to burn them.you can still use large chunks like he did and a slower oven, but I am always in a hurry for mine.I don't think he had anything else in with the bread in the oven, but you can add herbs etc after they are baked and crumbled.Great for schnitzel, and crumbing chops etc, as well as sprinkling over baked food.I must admit his lovely chunky bread would have been nicer than everyday bread :-)

guest, Sep 14, 10:54am
Hello, do you defrost before putting into the oven? I have been collecting butt ends of breads for a while now and want to make breadcrumbs, but I couldn't remember if I have to de frost then put in the oven then whizz them? Thanks