Scalloped Potatoes

highfences, Jun 8, 9:55pm
Scalloped potato recipe please that is really tasty

245sam, Jun 8, 10:49pm
highfences, try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using Scalloped Potatoes as the Keywords and Anytime as the Date posted option.You'll find a number of earlier threads with recipes and ideas that should helpful for you.:-))

cookessentials, Jun 9, 3:42am
My recipe copy and pasted from the "Potatoes" thread.

For those of you who love potatoes, how about adding some of your favourite potato recipes....it could be anything from a potato chocolate cake, to scalloped potatoes..what ever you like!
I will start the ball rolling with "Pam's Creamy Potatoes" which, I must say are very very tasty.

25g butter, melted;1 clove garlic,crushed;1/4 tsp nutmeg;2 cups grated tasty cheese; 1 kg potatoes,peeled and sliced thinly;2 eggs,lightly beaten;1x 300ml carton cream;1 cup milk;1/2 cup stale breadcrumbs;fresh herbs to garnish.
combine melted butter,garlic and nutmeg in a bowl. Brush a shallow oven proof dish with half the butter mixture. Sprinkle half the cheese over the base and layer the potato slices. Combine remaining butter mix, eggs, cream and milk in a jug and pour gently over potato slices. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs ( I dont usually bother with the breadcrumbs) Bake in hot oven - 200C for about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. (Cover with foil if top becomes too brown.

amazing_grace, Jun 9, 5:11am
No, no, if you put cheese etc in gratin potatoes (which I think is kind of the same as scalloped) it goes stringy and yuckkkky..

Here is my failsafe, easy, recipe.
Peel and thingly slice more than 10 potatoes.Put into a large saucepan with 1 pottle cream and equal amount of milk.Add 1 clove garlic crushed, some salt and pepper.Bring to the boil and simmer till the cream sauce goes thick, this takes about 10 mins.Pour into a buttered baking dish and bake about 40 mins covered, take off foil for the last 5 mins to brown up.

knowsley, Jun 9, 7:24am
I use Gruyere cheese with my gratin and it has never been stringy.

cookessentials, Jun 9, 7:46am
I have been making this for years...it does not go stringy!

coconutbuns, Jun 9, 5:03pm
cook in the pot maggi Potato Bake!

245sam, Jun 9, 10:49pm
highfences, try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using Scalloped Potatoes as the Keywords and Anytime as the Date posted option.You'll find a number of earlier threads with recipes and ideas that should helpful for you.:-))

cookessentials, Jun 10, 3:42am
My recipe copy and pasted from the "Potatoes" thread.

For those of you who love potatoes, how about adding some of your favourite potato recipes.it could be anything from a potato chocolate cake, to scalloped potatoes.what ever you like!
I will start the ball rolling with "Pam's Creamy Potatoes" which, I must say are very very tasty.

25g butter, melted;1 clove garlic,crushed;1/4 tsp nutmeg;2 cups grated tasty cheese; 1 kg potatoes,peeled and sliced thinly;2 eggs,lightly beaten;1x 300ml carton cream;1 cup milk;1/2 cup stale breadcrumbs;fresh herbs to garnish.
combine melted butter,garlic and nutmeg in a bowl. Brush a shallow oven proof dish with half the butter mixture. Sprinkle half the cheese over the base and layer the potato slices. Combine remaining butter mix, eggs, cream and milk in a jug and pour gently over potato slices. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs ( I dont usually bother with the breadcrumbs) Bake in hot oven - 200C for about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. (Cover with foil if top becomes too brown.

amazing_grace, Jun 10, 5:11am
No, no, if you put cheese etc in gratin potatoes (which I think is kind of the same as scalloped) it goes stringy and yuckkkky.

Here is my failsafe, easy, recipe.
Peel and thingly slice more than 10 potatoes.Put into a large saucepan with 1 pottle cream and equal amount of milk.Add 1 clove garlic crushed, some salt and pepper.Bring to the boil and simmer till the cream sauce goes thick, this takes about 10 mins.Pour into a buttered baking dish and bake about 40 mins covered, take off foil for the last 5 mins to brown up.

cookessentials, Jun 10, 7:46am
I have been making this for years.it does not go stringy!