Ceramic glass cooktop question

susievb, Jun 5, 11:37pm
I have had my ancient stove replaced with a second hand F&P ceramic glass stovetop/oven. In the booklet it says "aluminum and copper bottomed cookware can leave a metallic residue on the glass surface that should be cleaned off after every use as if it is left then it becomes difficult to remove"
How bigger problem is this for other people? So far I have used my frypan a couple of times but no sign of anything.

My old frypan is aluminum and more to the point so old that it bowed almost like a wok so it does not sit on the flat glass cooktop well, but most of the frypans I have seen are aluminum not steel except for the tefal ones and they cost too much for me.

I popped into Briscoes and there was a notice saying that their hampton &mason, and zip range were not suitable for use on ceramic glass cooktops which only left the expensive tefal ones.

rainrain1, Jun 6, 12:07am
I remember worrying about that when I first got my ceramic cooktop.I use all my pots and pans and never give it a thought any more, it hasn't seemed to have scratched hardly at all a few years down the track.

nzhel, Jun 6, 12:58pm
I have had 3 ceramic stove tops and love them. I would never go back to elements. I had copper bottomed pots and never had a problem with residue. I just have stainless steel pots now and again no problems and they aren't overly expensive ones - we got them from Farmers. I like to keep the ceramic very clean and 'polished' and regularly use a recommended conditioner on it. With just a little care the ceramic should look good for years.

margyr, Jun 6, 5:41pm
just keep the bottoms of the pots really clean.

eljayv, Jun 6, 10:07pm
I have no trouble with mine which is getting really old now.I use liquid Jif on it from time to time as well as the ceramic cleaner

susievb, Jun 6, 10:23pm
Thanks for your input I feel better now, I am popping into town today so will look at aluminum frypans.

susievb, Jun 6, 11:37pm
I have had my ancient stove replaced with a second hand F&P ceramic glass stovetop/oven. In the booklet it says "aluminum and copper bottomed cookware can leave a metallic residue on the glass surface that should be cleaned off after every use as if it is left then it becomes difficult to remove"
How bigger problem is this for other people! So far I have used my frypan a couple of times but no sign of anything.

My old frypan is aluminum and more to the point so old that it bowed almost like a wok so it does not sit on the flat glass cooktop well, but most of the frypans I have seen are aluminum not steel except for the tefal ones and they cost too much for me.

I popped into Briscoes and there was a notice saying that their hampton &mason, and zip range were not suitable for use on ceramic glass cooktops which only left the expensive tefal ones.

rainrain1, Jun 7, 12:07am
I remember worrying about that when I first got my ceramic cooktop.I use all my pots and pans and never give it a thought any more, it hasn't seemed to have scratched hardly at all a few years down the track.

blyme_jerv, Jun 7, 12:14am
i replaced mine when we did our kitchen, but thats becasue the price of cookstop is more than the price of the pots.Are you aware that alluminum is linked to dementia?I would be replacing that really soon!

rainrain1, Jun 7, 12:33am
worrywart

floralsun, Jun 7, 1:01am
I wouldn't buy aluminium too due to this.

My stainless steel fry-pan works well with my ceramic cook-top, and I use my 32 year old copper bottom saucepans too.

I just keep the surface clean and smooth - which is easiest done by wiping up any spills as soon as they happen, then wipe the surface down after use - just using a damp sponge dish-cloth - 2 years so far and it looks like new.

lenart, Jun 7, 4:09am
I had a Tefal pan with metallic paint bottom which left a residue on the cooktop although not really noticable. I use a heavy ceramic frypan with aluminium bottom and didn't notice it causing any trouble to the cooktop.

nzhel, Jun 7, 12:58pm
I have had 3 ceramic stove tops and love them. I would never go back to elements. I had copper bottomed pots and never had a problem with residue. I just have stainless steel pots now and again no problems and they aren't overly expensive ones - we got them from Farmers. I like to keep the ceramic very clean and 'polished' and regularly use a recommended conditioner on it. With just a little care the ceramic should look good for years.

blyme_jerv, Jun 8, 12:14am
i replaced mine when we did our kitchen, but thats becasue the price of cookstop is more than the price of the pots.Are you aware that alluminum is linked to dementia!I would be replacing that really soon!

floralsun, Jun 8, 1:01am
I wouldn't buy aluminium too due to this.

My stainless steel fry-pan works well with my ceramic cook-top, and I use my 32 year old copper bottom saucepans too.

I just keep the surface clean and smooth - which is easiest done by wiping up any spills as soon as they happen, then wipe the surface down after use - just using a damp sponge dish-cloth - 2 years so far and it looks like new.

lenart, Jun 8, 4:09am
I had a Tefal pan with metallic paint bottom which left a residue on the cooktop although not really noticable. I use a heavy ceramic frypan with aluminium bottom and didn't notice it causing any trouble to the cooktop.