Silicone bakeware users - a question please

menziesm, Jan 22, 4:27am
I have a silicone bake tray that is shaped as the engine and carrigages of a train.The first time i used it, it stuck rather badly and I want to avoid that happening again as I am making my sons birthday cake.

this time I am going to spray it first, but I was wondering, do the silicone cupcake trays etc need to be left for longer to cool, or should I still take them out a few mins after they come out of the oven?

Given that they are pretty easy to turn out of the tray Im leaning towards leaving them to cool for longer than usual, but would like others thoughts please?

tielfan, Jan 22, 4:29am
I usually spray them and then wait until they are cold to turn out.No problems thus far letting things go cold (gives me time to get the icings together anyway).

bigchipper, Jun 26, 4:34am
I have the train one too and used for the first time today, and all the bits stuck and broke to peices

chicco2, Jun 26, 5:12am
I have heard that silicone should not be sprayed. Try rubbing a little butter in to grease? Always allow baking to cool before trying to tip out. Hot or warm cakes are fragile and more likely to break.
Good luck.

bedge1, Jun 26, 11:28pm
Wow, I thought the idea of the silicone was NON stick.No greasing etc should be needed.I love my silicone bakeware.No greasing needed etc & can take things out as soon as out the oven.Fabulous!

chicco2, Jun 27, 5:12am
I have heard that silicone should not be sprayed. Try rubbing a little butter in to grease! Always allow baking to cool before trying to tip out. Hot or warm cakes are fragile and more likely to break.
Good luck.

skyedog, Jun 27, 7:22am
I have quite a few different silicone containers and some of them are not as non stick as others but they are all good if left to cool properly

issymae, Jun 28, 6:00am
used the Butterfly mould,sprayed first,cup cake recipe,no problems

aimz_bj, Jun 28, 8:47am
I always spray my silicone bakeware.I find that there is a better turnout when you leave the cake to cool and then take it out.

deluxe4u, Jun 28, 10:10pm
First time you use them they stick a little, more you use them the better they get. Never had to grease them. Just remember never to put into dishwasher as then you are back to square one with the stickiness... which is what DH did to mine.

deluxe4u, Jun 29, 10:10pm
First time you use them they stick a little, more you use them the better they get. Never had to grease them. Just remember never to put into dishwasher as then you are back to square one with the stickiness. which is what DH did to mine.

kinna54, Jun 30, 4:36am
I was told that you should pre treat the silicone with oil before using? and use cooking spray? Interesting to read your posts. I have given mine to DIL (must remember to tell her about the dishwasher thing) as I found them too unstable to use with my old hands, I just didnt fell "in control" holding them

kinna54, Jul 1, 4:36am
I was told that you should pre treat the silicone with oil before using! and use cooking spray! Interesting to read your posts. I have given mine to DIL (must remember to tell her about the dishwasher thing) as I found them too unstable to use with my old hands, I just didnt fell "in control" holding them

menziesm, Jan 22, 4:27am
I have a silicone bake tray that is shaped as the engine and carrigages of a train.The first time i used it, it stuck rather badly and I want to avoid that happening again as I am making my sons birthday cake.

this time I am going to spray it first, but I was wondering, do the silicone cupcake trays etc need to be left for longer to cool, or should I still take them out a few mins after they come out of the oven!

Given that they are pretty easy to turn out of the tray Im leaning towards leaving them to cool for longer than usual, but would like others thoughts please!