Silicone and xmas cakes !

lizzie123, Dec 11, 8:12pm
Hi there - can anyone help me with this. I am about to make my first xmas cake. Is a silicone cake tin okay to use for this and do I have to line it & if so, how would I do this! Many thanks for any help with this.

nfh1, Dec 11, 8:33pm
I used a silicone one last year and would not use one again.I went back to the tin this year.There was nothing I could definitely say was different, but it just was not the same as usual - sorry that is not much help!

lilyfield, Dec 11, 9:08pm
I imagine it would be hard to wrap a silicon "tin" in newspaper and secure with wire-as I do.

coolnzmum, Dec 11, 9:20pm
Use a wooden cake box, much better and you only need one layer of baking paper to line the box.

elliehen, Dec 11, 9:24pm
I regret buying a silicone oven mitt.It grips, but you can't feel where your fingers and thumbs are.

lizzie123, Dec 11, 9:39pm
I have never seen a wooden cake box. Can you let me know where these can be purchased from!
Silicone "tin" - mould perhaps!
Many thanks for the replies and advice.

elliehen, Dec 11, 9:41pm
Any good kitchen shop.Here is one:

http://www.cookwareessentials.co.nz/

lizzie123, Dec 11, 9:42pm
oops, should I say mold. Thanks for the link.

elliehen, Dec 11, 9:43pm
Here's a Trade Me listing too (one of several).I put 'wooden cake box' into the search bar.

elliehen, Dec 11, 9:53pm

nfh1, Dec 12, 12:53am
Yes I feel the same, mine has been used twice - lurking in the back of the drawer now!

elliehen, Dec 12, 12:58am
Are you pacing the floor, nfh1!

monkey_room, Dec 12, 3:42am
I have used a silicone cake tin and dislike it because the cakes (s) seem to dry out around the edges more.and shrink.
My Mum uses the baking boxes with good results and I use a very old cake tin (that weighs a ton) and which I bought at an op shop for 50 cents. I find the heat travels around the metal and paper layers well.

uli, Dec 12, 4:24am
bump for other silicone users

nfh1, Dec 12, 4:47am
I am - been on delivery man watch all day - looks like tomorrow now, or Wednesday.

gardie, Dec 12, 5:51am
I absolutely love mine - have two and use them for absolutely everything.I need to be careful that I don't push them into the top of a cake but can't fault them at all.I love that I can throw them in the dishwasher and they don't singe when I leave them on the element.

nfh1, Dec 12, 9:07am
I don't seem to be able to grip properly with mine - perhaps I need to try again with them.They seem too thick!!