I still cant decide what to cook for xmas

vintagekitty, Dec 20, 3:17am
and time is running out.

great ideas on here, but I just cant be bothered

fruitluva2, Dec 20, 3:28am
Me too, have 2 to attend and still juggling what to do for both.

vintagekitty, Dec 20, 3:34am
oh great, glad im not the only one..

uli, Dec 20, 3:38am
So why ask - if you can't be bothered?
Seems a funny thread to me.
I never do Christmas since many decades - so what is your problem?
Shall we all say "it is ok to not be bothered"?
Or will you come to that conclusion yourself by friday night?
Good luck either way!

nzhel, Dec 20, 3:39am
If you're putting Xmas on why not do a nice cold meal - cold chicken and ham, some nice salads, perhaps some prawns, potato salad or some new potatoes boiled then tossed in butter and sprinkled with chopped spring onions & parsley. The chicken could be cooked the night before, and frozen prawns are very nice with say a simple thousand island dressing. You could buy a Xmas steamed pudding (not as nice as home made but it would do) and have brandy custand or whipped cream with a little brandy essence in it. None of this would be too hard if you're just not feeling 'up to it'. A fresh fruit salad could be nice and even a pavlova can be a treat with cream and berries. Merry Xmas anyway!

vintagekitty, Dec 20, 4:14am
it will all come together, just having a "moment", merry xmas to you and yours as well!

vintagekitty, Dec 20, 4:16am
why ask what?, I didnt
What a pity you dont have a christmas, I'm sure you have masses of friends and family dying to spend time with you! hahahaha

samanya, Dec 20, 4:23am
I'm all for simplicity & a quite a lot of 'special' treats.
There are some lovely traditional things to make & it always seems strange to me that a lot of people cling to a Christmas day menu that is celebrated in the northern hemisphere where it's blardy freezing (especially at the moment)
I can understand why folk who have 'adopted'NZ as their new home, wanting to re-create a Christmas similar to their homeland.
For those of us born here & knowing nothing else ...we are NZers celebrating Christmas in summer ...family, friends, BBQs, beaches, swimming etc,all are part of our scene & I will certainly make the most of that.
Don't fret about cooking ...just relax & enjoy & have a good'un however it goes.

samanya, Dec 20, 4:24am

uli, Dec 20, 7:49am
Actually I have no family at all - so no family to spend Christmas with me (not sure what is so funny about that - but laugh away on it if you feel so inclined) - but since I am not a Christian - why bother?

nzhel, Dec 20, 8:10am
Thats good vintagekitty - I know how you feel as I've had Xmas's like that too! Usually find tho - it ends up being a lovely family day that we all very much enjoy, and after all its only one day a year where we all go silly, eat too much and spoil each other with presents! I wouldn't really change anything even tho I too grump away beforehand sometimes! The day makes for happy memories. Hope you have a lovely day!

vintagekitty, Dec 21, 8:42am
well, im now sorted, pretty much.

nzhel, thanks for your lovely words, I hope you and your family have a fantastic day too.

seniorbones, Dec 21, 8:48am
So I'm not sure why you would even bother commenting about anything to do with christmas then? you must be a very sad and lonely person - you could offer help at the local foodbank or city mission to help serve christmas dinner to the homeless or aged people they would be very grateful for your help and you would probably get a free lunch too...If I was on my own I would love to do this.

seniorbones, Dec 21, 8:54am
I have so many things I would like to do I'm not sure which one to do first, Iusually get up very early and visit the local vege/berrie stalls up the line and back before hubbies even awake! I think I will supermarket shop thursday and prepare friday so If I miss something I can still get to a supermarket, but boxing day is busier for me, family for brekkie, friends plus family for lunch, and then more family bbq in the evening! I'm looking forward to the 28th so I just blob out.

vintagekitty, Dec 21, 8:56am
we are doing a bbq lazy type xmas. I got some crayfish, scallops, prawns and steaks and a ham today. Loads of salads and puddings

seniorbones, Dec 21, 9:00am
...and you thought you werent organised? sounds like you are well planned, and yummy - my son usually goes diving and gets those things for us but hes in Canada so I will just be trying to get scallops and prawns - I went to Ruth Pretty day last weekend and she did them as a pass around which we ate and had a glass or two ofbubbly while we watched her cook more.

vintagekitty, Dec 21, 9:02am
that sounds great fun, where was it held and how did she do hers?

noonesgirl, Dec 21, 9:10am
I too have a problem as family have different tastes i.e some like salads (which would be easier), & others roast veges etc. So still undecided what to serve.

vintagekitty, Nov 27, 7:56am
why dont you do both?, or a warm roasted veg salad