Silicone bakeware

amyfromthenaki, May 15, 3:37am
Any on here that you'd recommend! Sick of quiches sticking in muffin pans & the teflon that's probably poisoning us. I've heard that if it turns white when creased it's not good quality, but the novelty pan I bought for my daughter's birthday last year does that and it turned out a lovely cake. I have a couple of dishes I bought from the supermarket a few years ago and they don't seem so good.

amyfromthenaki, May 15, 4:53am
Thanks, they mention Wiltshire but the ones I got from the supermarket are Wiltshire and I don't really like them - stuff seems to cling to them, and I don't like the wavy crust it leaves on the top of the cake. No idea what brand the bunny one was - it came from the Warehouse, but I think it was dearer than the Wiltshire ones.

nfh1, May 15, 4:57am
I got mine from Briscoes - I would not buy them again.I cooked my Christmas Cake in silicone, would never do it again.Definitely going back to traditional tins.

amyfromthenaki, May 15, 5:03am
Traditional tins are fine if you can line with baking paper. But for making things like mini quiches, the muffin papers don't seem quite right.

cookessentials, May 15, 7:13am
I am a bit of a purist and much prefer metal baking tins over silicone. I love silicone for tools, but not for baking in. I use the wooden baking box for Christmas/fruit cakes. The best non-stick you can buy ( and yes, it's a little pricey) would be the infinite circulon bakeware. It has the same hi-low ridges inside and believe me, you do not have to use spray or line it. Everything just pops straight out. I was wary when the distributors told me that i did not have to use a spray on it, so I promptly took home the muffin tin, the rectangular baking tin, the loaf pan and the cake pan and tried them all for everything from muffins, a sponge cake, bread etc and once cooked, I just turned the tin over and out they came. I have had them now for a year and they are still as good as the day i got them. I was so impressed I sent a set up to Mum to try and she loves hers too.

gardie, May 15, 7:18am
I've had Wiltshire silicon 'tins' which weren't so good.There are however some muffin/mini muffin trays that are wiltshire and have metal tops with silicon cups - they are fabulous.Jo Seagar has them on her website.Expensive - but so worth it.the mini muffin tins are fabulous for Christmas mince pies - they just pop out after being cooled for 5 mins.

amyfromthenaki, May 15, 9:09am
Thanks gardie, I'll give them a go then. It's mainly the large muffin pans I want - anything else can be lined. My nonstick cake tins are getting a bit old so I tend to line them anyway.

sumstyle, May 15, 9:34am
I have individual silicon muffin cups, and I put them the old style muffin pans to make em easy to get out of the oven.

elhers, May 15, 9:45am
Funny I have just had this conversation with friends over the weekend. I cooked 2 fejoa cakes, 1 in silicone, 1 in a tin. In short out goes all silicone and buying more tin. Much better results.

kuaka, May 15, 11:47am
I've got several silicone "tins" and am very happy with them all.Don't ask what brand they are, I bought them at the warehouse, but from memory some were the el cheapo type and some were a good brand.Haven't noticed any difference to be honest.