Silicone bakeware ???

bawetta, Dec 1, 8:20am
Pro's and con's, thanks

gardie, Dec 1, 8:30am
I like the whiltshire ones with the metal frame.The softer ones need to go onto a tray.They do cook very evenly though.Tried muffin and mini muffinsvery successfully but the silicon loaf pans tended to bulge in the middle during cooking leaving you a very funny looking (but tasty nonetheless) loaf - both bread and fruit.Worth paying extra for a good one - I love the mini muffin ones - they pop out so easily.

bawetta, Dec 1, 8:32am
Thanks so much gardie, mini muffins is exactly what I aim to buy for :-)

goldgurl_design, Dec 1, 6:08pm
Gardie do you find that the cooking itme is MUCH longer in a silicone pan?That's what I've found...

rainrain1, Dec 1, 7:08pm
I had some and couldn't stand them, but only because of them being floppy....I gave them away to someone who didn't like them either.....

goldgurl_design, Dec 1, 7:29pm
actually Rainrain...I only ever use my 'ring' shape cake pan...I don't bother with the muffin ones for some reason, and just cos theyre silicone DOES NOT mean you don't have to spray with non-stick spray!!

gardie, Dec 2, 2:55am
That's a point goldgurl - perhaps I do - I just put the time on for the normal time and thinking about it, I probably do have to cook them a little longer - maybe only 2 mins for minis - and not much more for standard.I've never really thought about it - just presumed it was a runnier mix (mine aren't always consistent lol)

levintofu, Dec 2, 3:41am
i feel like my silicone bakeware doesn't give my muffins the crispness that the metal ones do... i don't expect muffin top crisp all the way round... but its more ideal for say cupcakes? perhaps?
and they do take longer but Pyrex takes WAAAAAY longer

tarankyle, Dec 2, 6:07am
I love them. Brought dome dinosaure & tran shaped ones from the warehouse & made miffins in them for the kids today & they thought they were soo cool :-)

tinabops, Dec 2, 8:38am
I use the tupperware silicone bakeware. Expensive but well worth the money, I've never had a problem with anything sticking plus have never used any sprays on them. Hint - for the cake form you do need to wait for it to cool before tipping it out.

shazzie10, Dec 3, 12:37am
I actually don't like them.I have made cakes and for some reason it was so hard to take it out without breaking it up.The metal pans with the clipped sides are just so much better because the cake is easier to release.Maybe this old dog cannot be taught a new trick... :)

cookessentials, Dec 3, 12:50am
I am a putrist and much prefer metal pans,although I do sell the smaller silicone muffin moulds. I prefer metal because it cooks evenly and the cakes brown well. I love silicone tools however.

goldgurl_design, Dec 3, 1:28am
Shazzie I LOVE my metal springform tin too :)

2bakerz, Dec 3, 2:48am
I use my old mini muffin tins and use the silicone patty liners...wonderful, muffins just fall out and I feel more secure when I lift the pans out of the oven.I've only seen the mini and jumbo ones here, but will definitely pick some up when visiting daughter in Perth for Xmas!

joey2221, Dec 4, 12:33am
i have two springform tins one of them only new i cooked a choc cake in the new one and it leaked some of the mixture out on to the oven floor so i have brought silicone moulds love them

canderson, Sep 26, 1:56pm
I love the silicone bakeware, mine are Briscoes ones.I don't bother with a tray underneath, just shove them in the oven.I like the mini muffin ones because you just pop them out.Also the square one fits pastry squares perfectly for Custard Square and again just squeeze the sides down and comes out perfectly.