Rolling pins-Wood/Marble/Silicone-, what's best?

jocelyn0308, Jul 6, 2:56am
Is there really any difference between them? Just had a look at Briscoes, they only had a silicone one but I don't know if I want to pay $50 just for a rolling pin.

cookessentials, Jul 6, 3:01am
Depends on what you prefer and how much you will use it. If you make alot of pastry, then the marble or stainless steel are great as they remain cool and they are also a good weight. Some people love the silicone ones as they dont stick. To be honest, for the amount of times i use mine, I have a $21 non stick which does what I want. You can also get beech onesalthough, you would be looking around $35 for one of those - beech is ideal as it is non tainting.

tixy, Jul 6, 3:14am
My guilty pleasure... I collect rolling pins... Could be worse I suppose!
Like Pam said, marble is good for pastry as it keeps cool, but I love old rolling pins - some of the old wooden ones are quite pretty. My favourite to use is a wooden one that has an axle (? ) running through the centre so the handles stay still but the body of it turns.

I once found a rolling pin poking out of my neighbours letterbox and I'll admit that I had a nosy! It was posted as an engagement present - it was unwrapped and had a note pasted to it that had a wonderful old fashioned poem about it's purpose. I wish I had've copied it down - has anyone heard of this before?

tixy, Jul 6, 3:18am
I think I just answered my own question (good ole google! )

The one I remember was shorter than this I think - perhaps to fit it on the note page!

THE ROLLING PIN

A mere rolling pin, to the naked eye

It represents more than pastry for pie.

A handle on each end

For Husband and Wife,

The journey it takes

Symbolizes life.

The rolling may come easy,

And then sometimes tough

The paths it must take

Will be both smooth and rough.

It will roll two steps forward,

And then three steps back,

But with gentle persistence,

It will roll back on track.

Flouring it with love in sticky situations,

Will go a long way to building special relations.

From this day forward you are two joined as one,

Your special new journey has now just begun.

Hand in hand roll through all your challenges together,

In that way there will not be a storm you can’t weather.

Roll in faith and in love and abundant good health,

Roll in giving and sharing – that’s the secret to wealth.

Dear Bride and Groom

This is our modest gift.

It is made of hardwood and bearings and is easy to lift.

But like your wedding bands, the rolling pin is round,

A symbol of eternity, solid and sound.

Our wish for you,

please use the rolling pin,

As a gentle reminder of your love within.

And don’t ever worry, it won’t ever wear

It will just keep going around and around

Like the love that you share.

cookessentials, Jul 6, 3:59am
tixy-you would just LOVE the "House on the hill" rolling pins- they are different in that, they have all the carving for making sheets of speculaa biscuits in one go! we have their cookie presses and I have been tempted to get some of the rolling pins, however, they may be price prohibitive, but they are very collectible in the States, along with the cookie moulds.
http://www.houseonthehill.net/index. php? main_page=index&
cPath=2&zenid=kbdl60be2ccb2cko6e10734e44

tixy, Jul 6, 4:04am
Wow! They are incredible! Even the brackets are cool.
I have seen something a little similar, but I think they were for butter? Like a stamp for a homemade pat of butter?

My uncle is a very clever joiner (lathe-man? ) - I wonder if he has some spare time on his hands...

cookessentials, Jul 6, 4:09am
The butter moulds are made also in the USA by a very clever man called Gene Wilson. i originally contacted him about buying some of his hand carved moulds for the shop, but he said that he could not keep up with the demand for the home market, so i ended up buying ours through House on the Hill.

http://www.cookiemold.com/CookieMoldsBUTTERMOLDS.htmlI have a sister in the States, so i still may get her to order some for me for my own use.

http://www.cookiemold.com/CookieMoldsforGINGERBREADfigures. h
tml

tixy, Jul 6, 4:16am
What a clever man - those gingerbread molds aren't the sort you let the kiddies decorate with a bit of icing and some M&Ms! No wonder he is busy.

We live rurally and a few years back we were at a clearing sale that had a butter churn there.
With it were some pats and some stamps/molds - I didn't know what the molds were then and decided I liked the churn but it was "a wee bit dear". From memory, it went for $75! I could kick myself now! What a duffer.
The ignorance of youth...

cookessentials, Jul 6, 4:27am
OMG- that was a bargain! I have missed out on a couple too - however they went for alot more than $75! I make butter in my food processor but would love to get a churn and do it the old way.

deus701, Jul 6, 5:32am
I desire the stainless steel rolling pin cookessentials is selling.

shiyo, Jul 6, 5:47am
oh dear... mine it a long thin "42 below" empty vodka bottle! ! ! !

deflatedpumpkin, Jul 6, 5:50am
i don't like the new ones that you see everywhere, with the "axle" in the middle... partner is an ex-baker. . and would just break it! can't get enough pressure on it without the handles bending, i found one on here, solid wood, he's v. v happy now :) (and thanks to his happiness, we now have a wire cake rack full of home made sausage rolls mm)

lilyfield, Jul 6, 6:01am
nothing wrong with using a bottle

player_smurf, Jul 6, 6:06am
What's wrong with the old wooden rolling pin? Does the same job!

eastie3, Jul 6, 6:18am
And mine is a milk bottle ! I have had it for many years.

standard, Jul 6, 6:28am
I love my marble one, just fabulous compared with all the others I've ever tried.

punkinthefirst, Oct 6, 7:14am
... . . and mine is a piece of 50 mm PVC pipe. It works perfectly, and I've been using it for 20 years, LOL. What's more, it is about 75 cm long, so I can roll out a very large piece of pastry, or covering for a cake, with very little effort and no unwanted marks.
LOVE those carved cookie rollers, though!