Silicone bakeware

akd100, Jul 30, 9:45am
Whilst I love my silicone bakeware, I've noticed it's is tainting my baking, any ideas about how to stop this.

fifie, Jul 30, 10:06am
Some of mine done this to i chucked them all out and replaced it with tins. Hate the stuff.

akd100, Jul 30, 10:07am
Yeah I'm thinking maybe tins are better, but I do love them.

nfh1, Jul 30, 10:08am
Yes I gave up with mine too.

akd100, Jul 30, 10:11am
What a shame, but good to know its not just me.So you were both having problems with it tainting them!

nfh1, Jul 30, 10:14am
It was not the taint for me but that things did just seem to cook correctly.Recipes I had used for years just did not work.

akd100, Jul 30, 10:17am
Oh ok, I haven't had any problems with cooking, just that the cake I bake tasted very plasticy

nfh1, Jul 30, 10:20am
I love the idea of them but I wonder if they conduct the heat properly.My middles (!) did not seem to cook enough before the top was burnt, I thought it was my oven at first, but have returned to tins and have no problems.

akd100, Jul 30, 10:26am
Yeah I think I'll return to tins, this cake is awful around the outside.

nfh1, Jul 30, 10:28am
So annoying when you have gone to the trouble of making something.

akd100, Jul 30, 10:42am
Yeah I was really disappointed cos it's a fantastic cake but had to cut all the outside off loll

julie_, Jul 30, 10:58am
I have a grey wiltshire one that's been fine, but I have some other red ones which I don't like as they taint the food.I use the mini cupcake ones with cases however and that works better. Perhaps baking paper would work!

nzhel, Jul 30, 9:33pm
I have never used silicone cookware and don't plan to. I wonder if there are any chemicals that leach out of it into the baking. Maybe not but I think I'll just stick to good old metal!

akd100, Jul 30, 9:53pm
I thought about baking paper but then it sort of defeats the purpose really, if I'm going to have to line them with baking paper I may as well use my tins.It's just two so maybe the brand!I too put cases in the cupcake ones but then again I'm thinking to myself its defeating the point of them.I love them, easy to wash, easy to get the baking out, but yeah I'm a bit disappointed.funnily enough julie, the one that has tainted the cake is a red one, maybe it's the brand aye!

nfh1, Jul 30, 10:50pm
How strange, mine are the red ones too.

cookessentials, Jul 30, 11:02pm
Good quality silicone should not taint your food. You want a good food grade silicone. I dont like using it ( call me a purist) I prefer a tin because it browns the goods nicely.

kesley, Jul 30, 11:03pm
http://www.thekitchn.com/metal-glass-ceramic-or-silicon-pans-when-to-use-each-169507

This article is really interesting and handy, and explains how the different mediums conduct heat. I stick with metal, except for cheesy muffins, in which case I do use a silicon pan, and it works pretty well. Not as brown on top as I'd like them to be, but there's no flavour issue as they're packed full of parmesan.