Silicone Bakeware, is it as good as people say?

Page 1 / 2
suie1, May 28, 9:33am
A friend of mine says it is brilliant & saves money because of not needing baking paper, but do things take longer to cook so using more power? I use tons of baking paper it is the one kitchen item I cannot do without.TIA for any comments

skye7, May 28, 9:56am
I use silicone and find it fantastic. I have not notices things taking longer. Nothing ever sticks and they are quick to clean also

svce, May 28, 10:43am
I have a silicone heart shape dish and a heart shape muffins one , but I hardly use them cause they are so hard to handle when placing in the oven . The mould gets floppy and the mixture tends to go over the big heart shape . Also flops when getting it out the oven . Maybe there are better ones now . Not sure but it has definitle put me off. So i would recommend you check whether it is a soft silicone or more like a floppy texture. Good luck anywaay .

lindylambchops1, May 28, 11:03am
Place silicone bakeware onto baking try before putting them in oven.

nzkea1, May 28, 11:41am
I have used silcone bakeware, but find it not that great, I have gone back using my cooking tins / trays. easy to wash as long as they are greased or use baking paper.Some silicone cookware has improved and comes out with a "support" so does make them a lot easier to handle

deus701, May 28, 11:43am
there are crap silicone and decent silicone. Brands like Silikomart is not too bad.

kuaka, May 28, 11:46am
I've got some silicone ones and love them - trick is if you have the "floppy" sort, to place them on an ordinary baking tray, put it in the oven, then slide the baking tray out from under the silicone tray.That way they cook quickly.I did try leaving the ordinary tray in the oven, but it took longer to cook that way and the result wasn't so good.Easy to store, easy to clean.Brilliant.

pickles7, May 28, 7:26pm
I've got some silicone muffin pans & cake pans and love them, also. They are great in the microwave as well as the oven. I keep intending to buy a tray, buthave heaps of baking paper, to get through.

chookness, May 28, 7:48pm
Love my silicone stuff...and I just have the cheaper stuff from Briscoes and The Warehouse!

toadfish, May 28, 8:39pm
My favourite piece of silicone cookware is the square one.Perfect size for chocolate brownie or weetbix slice... cuts 4 x 4 and you get 16 even pieces....
I tend to put it in the oven floppy but when its cooked I slide it off the oven rack directly onto the cooling rack... Never sticks... love it.
I also use the silicone muffin pans and have a quiche dish... which wouldn't make a successful quiche with pastry makes a fabulous fritatta that comes out cleanly and always looks great.
My latest venture into silicone was a gift to me of individual silicone muffin cases... which I thought I would never use... but they are fabulous for individual frittatas... I had 1 courgette that needed using, grated it and some carrot.. added some finely chopped onion, an egg and some mixed herbs... filled up 4 cases and sprinkled them with cheese.. popped them in the oven when the dinner was cooking and Voila... 4 frittatas for the next days lunch boxes... instead of 1 courgette that would have gone off without being eaten.

jbsouthland, May 28, 11:01pm
Has anyone tried those siliconepoaching pods..?

kimmac, May 29, 2:35am
They look interesting, from the $2 shop I bought the silicon egg rings and they are just fantastic. I do like the look of the poaching pods, would look like designer poached eggs in them!

kinna54, May 29, 5:05am
I have both types, but I don't like the silicone with my old hands, I don't feel safe handling it, its a bit too flexible for me.

suie1, May 29, 8:16am
What about the Tupperware ones are they worth the money or are there other brands just as good, someone said Wiltshire are a good brand.Thanks

peaknuckle, May 29, 8:21am
I brought a set of silicone bakeware from a infomercial 10 years ago. It is still going strong and I used it regularly. Was a great purchase.

kiwibubbles, May 29, 8:41am
nope - was quite keen to try it - bought a couple of things, never again. Just didn't like it.

kate777, May 29, 8:45am
I have the muffin "tins" and don't like them. I prefer metal tins that will brown the outside nicely instead of leaving them pale.

I dn't use baing paper on my tins though, and never have any trouble with sticking. I just use baking spray and leave them to cool in the tin before sliding a small knife around and lifting them carefully out.

cookessentials, May 29, 8:45am
Alot depends on the quality of the silicone. Personally, I am a purist and prefer metal bakeware for browning. If you are going to use silicone, buy good quality. You can check the quality of the silicone by folding it in half and squeezing gently. If you get a white line along the fold, it is of poor quality.

suie1, May 29, 9:05am
Thanks very helpful

suie1, May 29, 9:33am
A friend of mine says it is brilliant & saves money because of not needing baking paper, but do things take longer to cook so using more power! I use tons of baking paper it is the one kitchen item I cannot do without.TIA for any comments

kuaka, May 29, 11:46am
I've got some silicone ones and love them - trick is if you have the "floppy" sort, to place them on an ordinary baking tray, put it in the oven, then slide the baking tray out from under the silicone tray.That way they cook quickly.I did try leaving the ordinary tray in the oven, but it took longer to cook that way and the result wasn't so good.Easy to store, easy to clean.Brilliant.

pickles7, May 29, 7:26pm
I've got some silicone muffin pans & cake pans and love them, also. They are great in the microwave as well as the oven. I keep intending to buy a tray, buthave heaps of baking paper, to get through.

chookness, May 29, 7:48pm
Love my silicone stuff.and I just have the cheaper stuff from Briscoes and The Warehouse!

toadfish, May 29, 8:39pm
My favourite piece of silicone cookware is the square one.Perfect size for chocolate brownie or weetbix slice. cuts 4 x 4 and you get 16 even pieces.
I tend to put it in the oven floppy but when its cooked I slide it off the oven rack directly onto the cooling rack. Never sticks. love it.
I also use the silicone muffin pans and have a quiche dish. which wouldn't make a successful quiche with pastry makes a fabulous fritatta that comes out cleanly and always looks great.
My latest venture into silicone was a gift to me of individual silicone muffin cases. which I thought I would never use. but they are fabulous for individual frittatas. I had 1 courgette that needed using, grated it and some carrot. added some finely chopped onion, an egg and some mixed herbs. filled up 4 cases and sprinkled them with cheese. popped them in the oven when the dinner was cooking and Voila. 4 frittatas for the next days lunch boxes. instead of 1 courgette that would have gone off without being eaten.

PS My silicone is the red Briscoes one. which I buy when its 50% off. which is often.

jbsouthland, May 29, 11:01pm
Has anyone tried those siliconepoaching pods.!