Potato peelers

gen3, Mar 16, 7:39am
A little off-topic but... Where can I get a really good potato peeler? One that you have tried and know to be good. I want the sort that you scrape away from you - like a "Y" shape with the blade across the top. I've tried so many but the higher priced ones seem only to have fancier handles, and no difference in the blade than the cheaper ones, and they all go blunt so quickly. Thanks for any help.

nauru, Mar 16, 8:08am
Get one from a kitchen shop, according to friends the cheap ones don't last. I paid about $9 years ago for an all metal one when they they first came on the market and it's still as good as new.

cookessentials, Mar 16, 8:57am
Chefn Palm peeler - I have one myself and it is brilliant. Slips onto your middle minger - push on as far as it will go and it sits into your palm. You peel away from yourself, it works well for left or right hand and you dont get any wrist strain as you can with some others.

gen3, Mar 17, 12:53am
Really? Does she have a potato peeler?

cookessentials, Mar 17, 6:45am
LOL-yep and she probably has a potato peeler - wonder if she stole tha too!

gen3, Mar 23, 9:05pm
Now have a metal one which is really good, and I'll also try the palm-held one soon. Thanks for replies.

akl439, Mar 23, 10:54pm
I have an OXO brand one which even does pumpkin peel easily - got it from Farmers when they had one of their half price sale days. Works great

wingee, Mar 24, 2:20am
I Bought mine from a Tuppa wear party many years ago (6 years maybe) and its still as good as the day I bought it... ... ... ... ... .

mwood, Mar 24, 3:43am
This post needs to be preserved intact before it is edited LOL

robman7, Mar 24, 8:56am
I like the Victorinox swisspeeler, real sharp, got mine of this site. there is one listed now $10

hezwez, Mar 24, 9:07am
Don't be mischievous mwood (having googled minger lol)

cookessentials, Mar 24, 9:16am
Mmm, I wonder what a middle minger LOOKS like LOL. It SHOULD read middle finger.

marcs, Mar 24, 11:29am
We have zyliss ones at the restaurant and they are absolutely sharp. I find serated blade ones are very sharp. Be careful because it can take the skin off you finger.

deus701, Dec 1, 4:42pm
I use one of this:

http://i43. tinypic.com/1z1s8pv. jpg

No idea what is it called. Basically its like those Y peeler except its a bigger blade ranging from 8cm-15cm and you work it back to front...compared to the Y peeler where you peel the potato front to back. Works perfectly for me. . I used it to make choc savings and sometimes on cheese.