Garlic! Not in our house

Page 2 / 2
cgvl, Nov 21, 9:30am
jhan, garlic is fairly new ingredient to this country . wasn't around or available in the 60's and hard to find in the 70's, really came on stream in the 80's mainly as NZer's food habits changed, same with chilli its also fairly new addition to NZer's cooking repetoire.
I can eat garlic fine but have a massive aversion to chilli or should I say it has an aversion to me. Love chilli but can not eat it, without spending the next 2 weeks on antoibioticsyuk.
If you really don't want to cook with garlic look for recipes from the 50's. 60's or earlier by NZ cooks, they certainly don't use garlic.

elliehen, Nov 21, 9:31am
I like garlic, but not secondhand garlic - through the skin or on the breath.I had the misfortune to have seats in a packed basketball stadium next to two people who reeked.

donna_jo29, Nov 21, 10:50am
how about using ginger instead.

beaker59, Nov 21, 11:28pm
The 50's rang, they want thier tastebuds back, he he he

beaker59, Nov 21, 11:31pm
Rather Garlic than second hand smoke anyday.

sarahb5, Nov 21, 11:43pm
I don't like salt - never add it to any of my cooking or to my finished meal but it certainly doesn't annoy me when it's in a list of ingredients - just ignore it, leave it out and move on .

There are very few savoury dishes in our house cooked without garlic but the taste is never over-powering, it's a flavour enhancer in this house, not a flavour "mask" except for the roast chicken with 40 cloves of garlic - that was delicious and the roast garlic afterwards made awesome salad dressings, etc.

elliehen, Nov 22, 12:50am
Neither thanks ;)

hezwez, Nov 22, 9:41am
I was mortified to have a gym enthusiast plonk down on the mat next to me and by way of introduction say "Hmmm, garlic aye!"

charlieb2, Nov 22, 9:48am
This was a good historic bump.

elliehen, Nov 22, 10:52am
Been a lot lately.It can be quite disconcerting ;)

rainrain1, Nov 22, 6:48pm
raw crushed garlic on a nice piece of angus X, what could be nicer

figjamto, Nov 25, 10:37pm
Garlic bread.yummmmmmmmmm, just love the stuff. Garlic is a staple in my house and my partners, we put it in lots of dishes, but nothing comes out "overpowering" just that lovely flavour depth hint of it.depends on how much you use I suppose, roasted whole garlic is subtle and just lovely, not strong at all. I must say I used to feel the same about chilli.but have had my taste buds "educated".quite like that little heat kick you get.takes the bland to the beautiful. No vampires hanging about in our house either