Pickled garlic

Page 1 / 2
joanne38, Jun 8, 12:23pm
how do i do it???

joanne38, Jun 9, 12:23pm
how do i do it!

jag5, Jun 9, 8:03pm
Okay...I have a recipe....will hunt it out and post if for you.....keep an eye on here over the next couple of days....

rainrain1, Jun 9, 8:24pm
how do you use your pickled garlic?I bought a jar ages ago but I'm not sure what to do with it,

pickles7, Jun 9, 8:45pm
I hope the, pickled garlic, is in a nice re-usable jar, then. I cannot resist a nice jar or bottle. lol

I pickled chili's year before last, they do look so nice, but there is always fresh chili or dried to use up first.

rainrain1, Jun 9, 9:20pm
I only keep the jars with lids that reseal.I'm thinking I don't like pickled garlic, it has a nothing kind of flavour when you compare it to fresh

winnie231, Jun 9, 10:20pm
Here is Juliewn's recipe & her tips for using it ...

Pickled Garlic:
Peel 250gms garlic and cut any large cloves in half. In a saucepan, bring to the boil 1 cup white vinegar, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp mustard seeds and 1/4 tsp celery seeds. Boil 5 minutes. Add garlic and boil a further five minutes. Place garlic into small jars. Bring the syrup back to the boil and pour over to cover the garlic. Cover with a non-metallic lid. Leave for 6 weeks before using. I prefer it chilled when using.. Enjoy.. Pickled Garlic can be used in the same way as you would pickled onions or gherkins.. in sandwiches, antipasto platters, with cold meats, cheeses etc.. sliced and added to rice or pasta salads, or other kinds of salads.. etc..etc.. It doesn't give garlic-breath as it's pickled. The jars can be kept in a pantry or cupboard.. I keep them in the fridge once I open a jar, as they taste great chilled
posted by juliewn

jag5, Jun 10, 5:17am
Yep winnie231....that's my recipe too....it is so yummy...as you say nothing like fresh....rainrain....I purchased a jar a few years ago...it was ghastly - nothing at all like the home made one as above.Ended up thowing it out. Awful stuff LOL

jag5, Jun 10, 5:18am
I haven't pickled chilies...but i do pickle peppers (Capsicums) - red, yellow and orange look stunning in the jars and they are so yummy on their own, or chopped up in salads....

lindylambchops1, Jun 10, 5:19am
Blimey have only just planted 58 cloves of garlic!They won't be harvested until around the longest day!

jag5, Jun 10, 7:28am
You will have to be very patient then....unless you buy some when cheap and pickle them to be going on with LOL

lindylambchops1, Jun 10, 7:40am
I will wait lol patience is a virtue apparently!

joanne38, Jun 10, 12:39pm
lol, ive planted it, sold some and still have some left so thought id try doing something else with it, thankyou...... also need a recipe to do something with the last of the chillies, (cayenne)and can you pickle shallots, ive more than i want to plant and they havnt started to shhot yet.....

jag5, Jun 10, 8:03pm
Okay.I have a recipe.will hunt it out and post if for you.keep an eye on here over the next couple of days.

rainrain1, Jun 10, 8:24pm
how do you use your pickled garlic!I bought a jar ages ago but I'm not sure what to do with it,

pickles7, Jun 10, 8:45pm
I hope the, pickled garlic, is in a nice re-usable jar, then. I cannot resist a nice jar or bottle. lol

I pickled chili's year before last, they do look so nice, but there is always fresh chili or dried to use up first.

rainrain1, Jun 10, 9:20pm
I only keep the jars with lids that reseal.I'm thinking I don't like pickled garlic, it has a nothing kind of flavour when you compare it to fresh

winnie231, Jun 10, 10:20pm
Here is Juliewn's recipe & her tips for using it .

Pickled Garlic:
Peel 250gms garlic and cut any large cloves in half. In a saucepan, bring to the boil 1 cup white vinegar, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp mustard seeds and 1/4 tsp celery seeds. Boil 5 minutes. Add garlic and boil a further five minutes. Place garlic into small jars. Bring the syrup back to the boil and pour over to cover the garlic. Cover with a non-metallic lid. Leave for 6 weeks before using. I prefer it chilled when using. Enjoy. Pickled Garlic can be used in the same way as you would pickled onions or gherkins. in sandwiches, antipasto platters, with cold meats, cheeses etc. sliced and added to rice or pasta salads, or other kinds of salads. etc.etc. It doesn't give garlic-breath as it's pickled. The jars can be kept in a pantry or cupboard. I keep them in the fridge once I open a jar, as they taste great chilled
posted by juliewn

jag5, Jun 11, 5:17am
Yep winnie231.that's my recipe too.it is so yummy.as you say nothing like fresh.rainrain.I purchased a jar a few years ago.it was ghastly - nothing at all like the home made one as above.Ended up thowing it out. Awful stuff LOL

jag5, Jun 11, 5:18am
I haven't pickled chilies.but i do pickle peppers (Capsicums) - red, yellow and orange look stunning in the jars and they are so yummy on their own, or chopped up in salads.

lindylambchops1, Jun 11, 5:19am
Blimey have only just planted 58 cloves of garlic!They won't be harvested until around the longest day!

jag5, Jun 11, 7:28am
You will have to be very patient then.unless you buy some when cheap and pickle them to be going on with LOL

jag5, Jun 11, 8:08am
I also dry my garlic, onions, chillies etc.....I have a great dehydrator.The shallots you could pickle the same as pickling onions.

joanne38, Jun 11, 12:39pm
lol, ive planted it, sold some and still have some left so thought id try doing something else with it, thankyou. also need a recipe to do something with the last of the chillies, (cayenne)and can you pickle shallots, ive more than i want to plant and they havnt started to shhot yet.

jag5, Jun 12, 8:08am
I also dry my garlic, onions, chillies etc.I have a great dehydrator.The shallots you could pickle the same as pickling onions.