Why my crush garlic get green ?

david2468, Aug 13, 9:18pm
I put the crush the garlic in a glass jar and fill with oil . The jar is then put inside a fridge. However, after 1 week, the garlic gets green ! ! ! ? ?

I taste it and smell nothing wrong.

What happen indeed ?

ferita, Aug 13, 9:59pm
Under acidic conditions, isoallin, a compound found in garlic, breaks down and reacts with amino acids to produce a blue-green color.

You maye want to try a more basic (as in ph base) cooking oil

horizons_, Aug 13, 9:59pm
It probably got contaminated. If you want safe storage either freeze it or use wine instead of oil - will keep indefinitely and safely then. Oil contaminates very easily once you have added anything to it for preserving and you run the risk of poisoning yourself.

ive25506, Aug 13, 10:37pm
I had cooked the garlic for several times without any porblem. Probably, because the high pH value canola oil. But what oil haslow pH value ? ?

winnie231, Aug 14, 2:41am
... . *** DO NOT STORE GARLIC IN OIL ***... .

Garlic is often kept in oil to produce flavoured oil; however, the practice requires measures to be taken to prevent the garlic from spoiling. Untreated garlic kept in oil can support the growth of deadly Clostridium botulinum. Refrigeration will not assure the safety of garlic kept in oil. Peeled cloves may be stored in wine or vinegar in the refrigerator.

Commercially prepared oils are widely available, but when preparing and storing garlic-infused oil at home, there is a risk of botulism if the product is not stored properly. To reduce this risk, the oil should be refrigerated and used within one week. Manufacturers add acids and/or other chemicals to eliminate the risk of botulism in their products.

ferita, Aug 14, 4:06am
Yeah but botulism doesnt turn garlic green.

winnie231, Aug 14, 4:19am
You're right there ferita ... my post doesn't help with the greeness issue.
I simply wanted to bring david2468's attention to the dangers of keeping garlic in oil longer than a week ... even in the fridge, as many folks are unaware of the issue of Botulism.

kirinesha, Aug 14, 4:40am
Completely concur with you Winnie. I often warn people about making flavoured oils at home for this very reason.

david2468, Feb 16, 3:13am
Finally, I know how to do. Half garlic is cooked in heated oil until brown. Then turn off the stove. The other half garlic then added to garlic oil. The whole garlic oil can then be stored in fridge. This is widely used in asian cooking.