Prepared crushed garlic

gram, May 28, 9:37pm
Does anybody buy the Pams or Greggs crushed garlic, ginger etc in jars..?I don't suppose it's as good as fresh prepared but is it reasonable so far as flavour is concerned..? It's cheap enough..

maynard9, May 28, 9:41pm
I will always prefer fresh NZ garlic, however when it is not available I buy the "Gourmet Garden" in a tube in the fridge part in vegie section.Would always buy this over imported sprayed fresh garlic.

mber2, May 29, 1:23am
We have a jar in the fridge and just put a good size teaspoon into whatever needs garlic so it doesnt last long

petal1955, May 29, 1:47am
I buy either Masterfoods or Greggs crushed garlic as those brands are nice and pulpy........Pams one is all fiberous.........Crushed Garlic either Masterfoods or Greggs..Pams is OK.Home brand one is a little more grainy....I use crushed garlic........but prefer to chop my own....much nicer.IMHO

tigerlilly16, May 29, 4:15am
I find the flavour of the jars of garlic is very different to fresh chopped, and I don't like the taste of the jarred stuff, but lots of people use it and like it, you will only know by trying it.

edit to add : ditto for the ginger, though I would probably use jarred ginger in a pinch, but as for the garlic I would rather use none than the jar stuff.

smoo18, May 29, 4:33am
I always have a jar of Pams in the fridge as well as fresh cloves.Found it just as good when I am in to much of a rush

lindylambchops1, May 29, 5:45am
I used used the jar variety with some Italian dried herbs in my white bread in the bread machine.It has just finished & smells oh so yummy!Also use it in a variety of other dishes.No problem.Am just waiting delivery of 52 cloves of garlic to plant in the garden.

kinna54, May 29, 9:24am
yes I use it. It is so handy. I find it is quite concentrated so tend to use less quantity.

gojojo2, May 29, 10:04am
I always use the crushed variety that comes in jars with no hesitation. I tsp equals one clove of garlic or one chillie. Go for it.

gram, May 29, 9:00pm
Interesting. My daughter says it doesn't even taste like garlic. I better try it for myself.

gram, May 29, 9:37pm
Does anybody buy the Pams or Greggs crushed garlic, ginger etc in jars.!I don't suppose it's as good as fresh prepared but is it reasonable so far as flavour is concerned.! It's cheap enough.

taratoo, May 29, 9:46pm
I can tell the difference between fresh and jarred garlic, most definitely. I do not like the garlic in a jars "preservative" taste at all. Very disappointing when found used on garlic naan, for instance. I'd much rather use powdered ($1.50 a cello bag of good tasting dried garlic from my veggie shop) if fresh is not available, personally.

lilyfield, May 29, 10:35pm
i use powdered- its cheap- great- and lasts forever

n00dle, May 29, 11:33pm
I fully agree.I know the jarred versions are convenient and a time saver, but the small amount of extra time to peel and crush garlic is worth the extra authentic flavour IMO.

petal1955, May 30, 1:47am
I buy either Masterfoods or Greggs crushed garlic as those brands are nice and pulpy.Pams one is all fiberous.Crushed Garlic either Masterfoods or Greggs.Pams is OK.Home brand one is a little more grainy.I use crushed garlic.but prefer to chop my own.much nicer.IMHO

tigerlilly16, May 30, 4:15am
I find the flavour of the jars of garlic is very different to fresh chopped, and I don't like the taste of the jarred stuff, but lots of people use it and like it, you will only know by trying it.

edit to add : ditto for the ginger, though I would probably use jarred ginger in a pinch, but as for the garlic I would rather use none than the jar stuff.

gram, May 30, 9:00pm
Interesting. My daughter says it doesn't even taste like garlic. I better try it for myself.

taratoo, May 30, 9:46pm
I can tell the difference between fresh and jarred garlic, most definitely. I do not like the garlic in a jars "preservative" taste at all. Very disappointing when found used on garlic naan, for instance. I'd much rather use powdered ($1.50 a cello bag of good tasting dried garlic from my veggie shop) if fresh is not available, personally.