Garlic! Not in our house

Page 1 / 2
jhan, May 23, 9:50am
A family member is intolerant of garlic and I get fed up with most recipes having it in the ingredients list. Even though I can just leave it out and carry on, its so annoying.
I was very pleased to hear on a tv show that garlic is not used in the Royal Household. Horray! Now where can I get the Queen's recipe book?
But really, does a garlic flavour added to most recipes mean everything is the same boring taste? Or are taste buds getting atrophied?

jessie981, May 23, 9:58am
With you. Don't use alot, mainly with Thai recipes

winnie231, May 23, 10:12am
I don't quite understand your question ... I cook with garlic but not everything tastes the same. Most savoury recipes contain salt but that doesn't mean everything tastes salty.
With garlic I think it's a question of when you add it ... if you want to add an over-all richness of flavour to a dish (like a casserole for example), you'd add it early with other natural flavour enhancers like onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf & strong herbs as well as salt & pepper. You can't taste any of these individually in the end product necessarily but they all contribute to the final flavour.
In contrast ... with pesto cream sauce for example you want the garlic flavour to come through so it is only heated not cooked & remains noticable.
If someone can't eat garlic then simply leave it out. Yes it will change the flavour of a dish but I'm sure food can still taste good.

jhan, May 23, 10:39am
Thanks, I think you've hit the nail on the head, a richness you said. But what about delicacy of flavour? What about actually tasting the bare ingredients of a dish, is it being lost with garlic being used in just about every savoury recipe?
I quite like the taste of basic steamed spinach with salt and pepper. My son came home and said, it's much better with garlic. I tried it, the taste of the spinach was lost. Some might say that's a good thing.
Tonight I made roast chicken flavoured with lemon and meatloaf flavoured with curry powder. No garlic. Try it.
We can't eat out. Even if we specify 'no garlic', most meals have been served with it anyway. It's much safer to eat at home. I think this is stupid that we can't go to a restaurant. Sure the chef leaves it out of the main meat dish, but often is served in the dressings or is an ingredient combined in some purchased flavourings they include.
I read labels at the supermarket and garlic is included with the majority of foods. So I cook from scratch. I get so fed up. New Zealand food didn't used to be like this.

fisher, May 23, 12:32pm
gimme a bucket of NZ garlic.....hmmmmmmmmmmluv the stuff...reckon I use it near on every day...ain't no vampires in this house :}}}

juliewn, May 23, 1:00pm
Hi Jhan.. recipes for the royals are here..
http://www.theroyalchef.com/

lythande1, May 23, 7:50pm
I hate garlic, it overpowers everything. Might be my sense of taste, husband has a crap sense of smell/taste (he can't tell if the milk is off until there are lumps), he loves garlic.

I make all the recipes without it if we are both eating the same thing, if it's just him, I add it in.

Very trendy these days - like Olive Oil which I also don't like, coriander leaves and sea salt.

Fashion will change again, meanwhile. just because a recipe has a certain ingredient, doesn't mean you can't amend it.

kevymtnz, May 23, 8:37pm
salt and pepper kills the taste of everything

rainrain1, May 23, 10:00pm
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat, cut out your tongue.you are so wrong, it adds to the flavour

kevymtnz, May 23, 10:15pm
salt is not a flavour
Garlic on the other hand is a natual antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal

jcsolgier, May 24, 12:05am
What? Salt definitely IS a flavor, and also a flavor enhancer.

beaker59, May 24, 1:31am
We go through heaps of garlic in our house it goes in most things.

I particularly love garlic bread.

prawn_whiskas, May 24, 1:35am
Garlic - What an odd thing to get your panties in a wad over!

"fed up with it being in the ingredients list"

I get fed up with the goldfish looking at me side ways!!!!! *bunches panties up and goes on a rampage*

buzzy110, May 24, 3:55am
Since when did prawns wear knickers? I'd keep a careful watch on those goldfish if I were you. They obviously have evil intentions where you are concerned. I bet they have been plotting your downfall for yonks. All they need is opportunity and then you're fish bait.

buzzy110, May 24, 4:00am
I love the stuff. Adore the smell of it cooking but I too live with someone who reacts badly to it. Like you, we cannot go out either but luckily I have always cooked from scratch so couldn't give a toss what is written on ingredients list.

My other big problem is chilli. That is in everythingon every menu as well and I'm sure they'd put it in bread if they could get away with it. Oh what am I saying? Of course there is bread with chilli and garlic in. My garlic sensitive is also chilli sensitive. Sigh.

moonangel, May 24, 5:02am
Oh I am so with you on this one!
I can't have garlic or onion and it is impossible just about to find anything remotely flavourable without it!

emmapear, May 24, 10:33am
I dont cook with garlic and onions...I do use hing or asofetida powder though which adds a similiar flavour and is available from asian/indian shops. You need to saute it before use though.

tielfan, May 24, 10:38am
My Dad wouldn't have it in the house (along with white bread).Seriously he'd purge the fridge if someone bought some salami home with a smidge of garlic in it.He just didn't like it.To get Dad back when we were teens we'd buy a few slices of garlic salami and feed it to our dog.The dog would then sit and pant all over poor Dad.Nowdays we use garlic but we can also get along without it in every meal.

olwen, May 25, 12:28am
If you like vegetarian have a look at a Hare Krishna cookbook.Krishna doesn't eat onion and neither do they.They use a spice called asafoetida (hing) in it's place.

annie.nz, May 25, 1:08am
I use garlic more often than not.Mostly in small amounts - one clove per two people sort of thing - but in some recipes, esp Italian recipes using tomatoes, I use a lot more.

norse_westie, May 25, 1:42am
I could almost go bankrupt with the amount of garlic we eat, right down to roasted and eaten whole. My Spag bol has tonnes of it in. I do have to be careful not to over do it though or our skin starts to smell, and I hate that.

On the plus side: no one in my household gets flus or colds. And any hint of a sniffle and the amount of garlic in a recipe is doubled for a day or two.

norse_westie, May 25, 1:45am
I hear you on the restaurant thing though. I am violently allergic to avocado and even a smear of it has me heading for the hospital. So many cafe foods such as sandwiches have it in. I call it "green poison".

And I have a son with anaphylactic allergy to fish and seafood. This means no takeaways as almost all of them cook some form of fish and could contaminate his food. And sadly I only eat Thai when he is not at home in case any fish sauce has been used. If I kiss him within an hour of eating it, and I could cause him to react.

lythande1, May 25, 3:31am
Right. Myth.
I don't get colds either and never eat the stuff.

norse_westie, May 25, 3:57am
Children are more prone to getting colds than adults - and the fact that six of them live in one house means they should get all sorts of things.
And garlic's benefits are not myth at all. It is a well known medicinal food.

gabbymoggy, Nov 21, 9:18am
Garlic has always been in everything jhan, it is not new.

My cousin is the same so we all are aware what brands etc to get when we invite her round, or are going there.

When eating out don't just request no garlic, you do have to tell them that you are allergic to it (just because it might not be anaphalactic shock doesnt mena it isnt allergic). Be sure to tell them this includes vegetables not to be chopped on boards with garlic.

Some restaurants are simply off the menu (such as greek) due to the high usage of garlic. She can eat out, but it does take practice.