Why does my GF bread taste more like cake?

Page 2 / 2
buzzy110, May 12, 4:10am
River Cottage did bread last night. In it he made a starter using flour, water and a piece of rhubarb. I gotta admit I thought that a very 'novel' idea. In my thread Sour dough - Success At Last, I got a lot of requests from people asking me if they could use all sorts of fruits to make their starter with.

I have no idea about using fruits or juices to make a starter. The risk of it being tainted by the fruit or juice going rotten in the initial stages seemed not a risk I would be prepared to take.

Another suggestion is for you to pop into your library's on-line catalogue and look for a suitable book to help you. I have all of Dean Brettschneider's books and each book gives good instructions on making starters.

In fact I have two of his books entitled "Baker". I recommend his books in particular as he also has a couple of good recipes for sour dough, along with expert information.

carter19, May 12, 4:21am
Thank you so much for your help. I will check out the libarary, and I am getting some starter from a friend of a friend who takes bread making classes. It is refreshing to have help instead of being shouted down as on some of the boards!

buzzy110, May 12, 4:23am
It's all true. Take a look at grapes and observe that they have a white coating on them. Everyone thinks it is some sort of spray but it is really yeast. I assumed that about the rhubarb too, as it is a fruit, not a vegetable. My main concern is that people will not take it out in good time and end up with a rotten, toxic starter and get disheartened.

The yeast on apples is what I used to make my cider. I was told that I needed some sort of commercial yeast but boy, my juice went off like a rocket within hours of going into the demi-john. I wish I'd bottled it at the first rack rather than continuing on with the fermentation process. Still I was aiming for vinegar, not cider, so I shouldn't complain.

nauru, May 12, 4:49am
Buzzy110 - Can you please post the Quick Pickled Onions recipe, thanks!

buzzy110, May 12, 5:08am
You are lucky to have those books. Dean is brilliant and full of really interesting information. I see you live in Masterton. Recently I helped out a poster from Masterton who had managed to kill a starter she was looking after for absent friends by sending her my starter. I could put you in touch with her if you like and maybe she will be able to give you some to get you started. Once you have a starter it only takes 1Tblspn full every week, along with a cup of flour and a cup of water, to keep it fed. I have left mine for over two weeks with no ill effects and another poster left hers for many months and it 'fizzed' up beautifully after a couple of feeds.

buzzy110, May 12, 6:42am
Why thank you knowsley. I guess I'm not allowed to make any mistake ever. Lucky you are around to dispute everything I say.

Now please, why not tell carter exactly why her bread is cakey rather than bready, and save us all a great deal of angst.

wildflower, May 13, 3:44am
Ahhh and the thread was going so well ;)

I won 'The Baker and The Cook' co-written by Dean, that's where I was reading about the gluten etc recently.I'll check out your link too Buzzy.Don't know if I have the patience to try a starter but I keep thinking about it.

wildflower, May 13, 3:57am
Thanks buzzy, at the moment I'm enjoying a non sourdough bread I make that's all wholemeal flour, linseeds, pumpkin, sunflour, sesame and rolled oats.I'll stick with that for now but I'll get back to you if/when I'm ready to give it a go.Thank you though.I'm sure it would be lighter for my digestive system!

malcovy, May 13, 4:30am
Carter, are you using eggs in the mix?

buzzy110, May 13, 5:08am
You are lucky to have those books. Dean is brilliant and full of really interesting information. I see you live in Masterton. Recently I helped out a poster from Masterton who had managed to kill a starter she was looking after for absent friends by sending her my starter. I could put you in touch with her if you like and maybe she will be able to give you some to get you started. Once you have a starter it only takes 1Tblspn full every week, along with a cup of flour and a cup of water, to keep it fed. I have left mine for over two weeks with no ill effects and another poster left hers for many months and it 'fizzed' up beautifully after a couple of feeds.

wildflower, May 14, 3:57am
Thanks buzzy, at the moment I'm enjoying a non sourdough bread I make that's all wholemeal flour, linseeds, pumpkin, sunflour, sesame and rolled oats.I'll stick with that for now but I'll get back to you if/when I'm ready to give it a go.Thank you though.I'm sure it would be lighter for my digestive system!

malcovy, May 14, 4:30am
Carter, are you using eggs in the mix!