Can you use a cracked slowcooker

Page 1 / 2
jennie5963, May 4, 10:27pm
I just noticed a hairline crack through my slowcooker liner. Could've been there for ages for all I know!! Does anyone knowingly still use theirs with a crack.

cottagerose, May 4, 10:59pm
I wouldnt unless you are going to stay home, incase something goes wrong

kuaka, May 4, 11:33pm
Mine had a very very small hairline crack in it for years, and it still worked perfectly, then one day I used it, and discovered all the liquid had leaked out across the bench top.The crack has suddenly spread until the crockery bowl was almost in two pieces, and the liquid had leaked out and then leaked through the outer, where there's a screw in the centre of the inside of the outer part (gosh that sounds double-Dutch).

prawn_whiskas, May 5, 12:07am
Bin it, they are so cheap to replace its not worth the risk of it cracking further and letting liquid into the element lining (potential fire hazard)

grandma, May 5, 1:42am
Some years ago, my bowl had a small crack in it and I thought I must have knocked it somehow.I borrowed my s-i-l's bowl and used it with my crockpot and to my horror, it cracked too, so in the end I had to buy another replacement bowl for her and had to biff my actual cooker, as it was obviously at fault.Save yourself some $$'s and take prawn whickas advice and start over with a new one!

pickles7, May 5, 2:35am
I think where that screw is in the centre of the inside of the outer part ....kuaka....[thanks, lol, copied] could be a problem. Dose anyone know ifyou buy a protective mat to put over that screw. I often look at that screw and think it could cause the inner to crack.. all this chat about, inners and outers, your fault...kuaka....lol

beaker59, May 5, 2:43am
Just checked mine to be sure but the bowl doesn't rest on the bottom so the screw shouldn't effect it the bowl rests around the rim forming an air seal so the liner/bowl gap is an air pocket which is heated so the bowl heats evenly over its whole surface thus no hot spots and even heating.

jennie5963, May 5, 2:51am
Thanks ladies, just been on Briscoes site and they've got them for $70 this week - must've known I was coming!!

pickles7, May 5, 3:38am
OK I haven't looked to see if it touches or not, I did think as it gets hot the bottom may rise a bit being metal. I often leave mine on all night, the last time, we woke to the smell of my take, of the classic, "Irish stew". Devinne.
On saying that a cracked inner would not be the wisest thing to ignore, I would get a new inner. Has anyone got prices???

pickles7, May 5, 3:40am
Is that for the whole cooker, or just the inner....jennie5963....

beaker59, May 5, 6:56am
That would be whole cooker they are sometimes even cheaper. I paid $27 for mine a few years ago, best bargain I have picked up in a while.

jennie5963, May 5, 10:04pm
Russell Hobbs 6 litre complete unit $70 from Briscoes.The 3.5 litre was $ 50.

pickles7, May 5, 10:13pm
great buy....jennie5963.... I keep my eye open for them at garage sales.... beaker59....but so far I have not been lucky. I just missed out on a Panasonic bread maker the other day, thought of a low tackle, even lol.

jennie5963, May 5, 10:27pm
I just noticed a hairline crack through my slowcooker liner. Could've been there for ages for all I know! Does anyone knowingly still use theirs with a crack.

bengals, May 5, 10:49pm
I wouldnt I cooked a casserole in one - forgot and lifted it out and left teh casserole behind in the outer :-P

orcawhale, May 5, 10:56pm
they are cheap at warehouse. we got the large one for 59 i think. down from about 80? that was late last year.

we use it to cook the chicken in for the j/r.

kuaka, May 5, 11:33pm
Mine had a very very small hairline crack in it for years, and it still worked perfectly, then one day I used it, and discovered all the liquid had leaked out across the bench top.The crack has suddenly spread until the crockery bowl was almost in two pieces, and the liquid had leaked out and then leaked through the outer, where there's a screw in the centre of the inside of the outer part (gosh that sounds double-Dutch).

grandma, May 6, 1:42am
Some years ago, my bowl had a small crack in it and I thought I must have knocked it somehow.I borrowed my s-i-l's bowl and used it with my crockpot and to my horror, it cracked too, so in the end I had to buy another replacement bowl for her and had to biff my actual cooker, as it was obviously at fault.Save yourself some $$'s and take prawn whickas advice and start over with a new one!

pickles7, May 6, 2:35am
I think where that screw is in the centre of the inside of the outer part .kuaka.[thanks, lol, copied] could be a problem. Dose anyone know ifyou buy a protective mat to put over that screw. I often look at that screw and think it could cause the inner to crack. all this chat about, inners and outers, your fault.kuaka.lol

beaker59, May 6, 2:43am
Just checked mine to be sure but the bowl doesn't rest on the bottom so the screw shouldn't effect it the bowl rests around the rim forming an air seal so the liner/bowl gap is an air pocket which is heated so the bowl heats evenly over its whole surface thus no hot spots and even heating.

jennie5963, May 6, 2:51am
Thanks ladies, just been on Briscoes site and they've got them for $70 this week - must've known I was coming!

pickles7, May 6, 3:38am
OK I haven't looked to see if it touches or not, I did think as it gets hot the bottom may rise a bit being metal. I often leave mine on all night, the last time, we woke to the smell of my take, of the classic, "Irish stew". Devinne.
On saying that a cracked inner would not be the wisest thing to ignore, I would get a new inner. Has anyone got prices!

pickles7, May 6, 3:40am
Is that for the whole cooker, or just the inner.jennie5963.

djpablonz, May 6, 6:18am
I discovered by slow cooker has a hairline crack too, so I scoured TM and found one cheap and unused! Best thing i did was to replace mine as I use mine at least three times per week, its cooking hangi for dinner tonight (smells divine). I am looking for a smaller one for puds etc.

kuaka, May 6, 11:59am
I got a new one recently with my flybuys points - it's a George Foreman but I haven't used it yet so can't tell you whether it's as good as the one which died a while back or not.